The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Nov 8, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #196 of 606
The amplifier section of the D12 is an inprovement over the D4 for the more difficult to drive phones, as the power supply voltage is greater and there is a greater selection of opamps that work well at the higher voltages plus one can also use single-channel opamps in the D12..  With high-sensitivity IEMs and even with some phones such as the Senn. 600s, the D4 does a very good job and it would likely depend upon the choice of phones and opamps to differentiate between the SQ of the two amps.

Nov 9, 2010 at 7:08 AM Post #197 of 606
Ron I am not sure I understand. The D4 can use a 9 volt batter which is twice the voltage of the D12. 

Nov 9, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #198 of 606

Quote:
My Blackberry can't be within four feet of the device, whereas my iPhone has to be right next to it to create RFI.  Of course the Blackberry Bold interferes with virtually every amp or radio it gets near.  The thing is a toaster...

Are you using the iPhone 4 with the D12?  I recall the D10 had serious RFI issues so curious if iBasso addressed this matter for those looking to connect an iPhone 4 or smartphone.

Any impressions of the iTouch 4th gen-D12 combo compared with the Cowon S9/J3?

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #200 of 606

Quote:
anyone compare the headstage arrow to the d12 to be used with a non-optical dap>?

I have seen no comparisons yet, but if one is not planning to use the digital inputs of the D12, the P4 would be my preference for use as a basic portable amp. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #201 of 606
Does this mean that the D12 and D4 should be almost identical (minus the power supply - which is possibly in the D12's favor, or D4's since it uses a 9v battery?)

I plan to use this mostly with my laptop. I'm bouncing between D12 / D4 and this amp from malaysia that does not have a DAC but from the reviews sounds killer: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/972446

Quote:
The amplifier section of the D12 is an inprovement over the D4 for the more difficult to drive phones, as the power supply voltage is greater and there is a greater selection of opamps that work well at the higher voltages plus one can also use single-channel opamps in the D12..  With high-sensitivity IEMs and even with some phones such as the Senn. 600s, the D4 does a very good job and it would likely depend upon the choice of phones and opamps to differentiate between the SQ of the two amps.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #202 of 606

Quote:
Does this mean that the D12 and D4 should be almost identical (minus the power supply - which is possibly in the D12's favor, or D4's since it uses a 9v battery?)

I plan to use this mostly with my laptop. I'm bouncing between D12 / D4 and this amp from malaysia that does not have a DAC but from the reviews sounds killer: http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/972446

IMO, the D12 has the most potential to slightly outperform the D4 depending upon the choice of opamps.  Noticeable, but not night and day difference.

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:41 PM Post #203 of 606
I will agree, the D12 is a bit of a surprise to me because of the powerful presentation from a lower voltage swing but also due to the increase in transparency and layering. This is stock. When I get the upgrade kit from HiFlight I will take note of that. I find that for me, surprisingly the D12 can drive the HD650's with no problem. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #204 of 606
@jamato8- this is good news because I can use my friend's HD600 anytime I'd like and have the chance to really get to know them before deciding whether I want a pair. 

I had figured though that the HD600 300ohm power needs would be far from the needs of all of my other phones...happy to hear they could handle your HD650! 

Please post which opamps/buffers you like best with HD650.  I have a TopKit coming too.
Quote:
I will agree, the D12 is a bit of a surprise to me because of the powerful presentation from a lower voltage swing but also due to the increase in transparency and layering. This is stock. When I get the upgrade kit from HiFlight I will take note of that. I find that for me, surprisingly the D12 can drive the HD650's with no problem. 

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #205 of 606

Are you using the iPhone 4 with the D12?  I recall the D10 had serious RFI issues so curious if iBasso addressed this matter for those looking to connect an iPhone 4 or smartphone.

Any impressions of the iTouch 4th gen-D12 combo compared with the Cowon S9/J3?

I have found that if I stacknthe devices I can hear rfi but side by side is quiet. Yes, it's an iPhone 4.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Nov 11, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #207 of 606
I am not really up that much on USB. I thought USB can only output 16/48. Can USB put out a 24/96 signal? 

Nov 11, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #209 of 606

Quote:

Not possible with MacBook Pro, I could assure you that. It could only do 16/48.

What do you have, X ray computer? :T)

What about a few pieces of hardware that state they get 24/96 from the USB. One costs around 1100. I don't understand how they get more from what is being offered at the output of the USB. 

Nov 11, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #210 of 606

Quote:
What do you have, X ray computer? :T)

What about a few pieces of hardware that state they get 24/96 from the USB. One costs around 1100. I don't understand how they get more from what is being offered at the output of the USB. 

USB can do 24/96 just fine.  I've got an M-Audio Transit that does it.  On Windows, it needs drivers, as does any USB device that does anything over 16/48.  The stock windows drivers don't support anything higher than that.  MacOSX supports 24/96 with the stock drivers, depending on which USB receiver chip is in the device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back