The iBasso D12, dual dacs . images . new Sysconcept optical cable . . Topkit by HiFlight. .
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #167 of 606
The battery is Li  ion, which doesn't need to be cycled to have full charge capacity...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Oct 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM Post #168 of 606
I have read that they do need to be cycled a few times to reach full capacity. I use li ion in my cameras, and it definitely proves true with them. In the D12, I also found this to be true. 

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #169 of 606
Configuration tips for Mac users...

Neither the USB nor the optical inputs handshake to establish optimal output frequency automatically.  This is not good, because the audio driver in the mac will have to resample, and that ALWAYS creates errors and artifacts.  So for optimal listening you either have to switch the setting in the midi control when your music sample rate changes, or develop another approach.   

If all your media is off CDs or iTunes you only have one sample rate, so it's a big don't care.  But I have some very nice 24/96 flac, and about 13,000 44.1K lossless tunes, so I'm switching a lot.  

Solution?  Set the built-in output to 24/96 which will force all output over the optical to be 24/96, and set the USB output to 16/44.1.  Simply use USB for most listening and only plug in the optical and for HD.  This is probably ideal for most people as we need the USB to charge, and so it probably is usually plugged in.

Works like a champ. I verified the output over optical was 24/96 and the USB must be correct as it can't handle 24/96.  

The included optical cable worked pretty well, with occasional dropouts so I switched to a flexible glass fibre cable.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:45 PM Post #170 of 606

Quote:
I have read that they do need to be cycled a few times to reach full capacity. I use li ion in my cameras, and it definitely proves true with them. In the D12, I also found this to be true. 

Hi Jam...   No, that's not correct.  There's no memory, and in fact full cycling is somewhat bad for the battery (so don't run it all the way down to maximize life...)

From Battery University:

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life.. ...is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Edit: Not sure why your camera experience differs, but it doesn't follow the engineering background for the technology that I've seen...

Oct 28, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #171 of 606
LoveAndHonor, this might be slightly unrelated to thread topic but how portable do you find your Ipods with the D12 and Pro 900s are? I am looking to eventually get a similar setup, and i have almost saved up enough for the Pro 900s. After that I think I will try to get the Ibasso Toucan and glean the benefits of balanced circuitry. I am very excited by you descriptions of the Pro 900s sound!

Oct 28, 2010 at 10:12 PM Post #172 of 606

Quote:
Hi Jam...   No, that's not correct.  There's no memory, and in fact full cycling is somewhat bad for the battery (so don't run it all the way down to maximize life...)

From Battery University:

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.) Short battery life.. ...is mainly cause by heat rather than charge / discharge patterns.

Edit: Not sure why your camera experience differs, but it doesn't follow the engineering background for the technology that I've seen...

Yes you are correct on the deep discharge. In practice I find that li ion need to be used a few times before they get to their full potential. I use a multitude of camera batteries for my different Canons and Leica, which all use li ion and from that I have a better feel for what they do than even the amps. When I get X amount of images on a new battery and then with the same shooting it increases, with this happening time after time with new batteries, experience has taught me that they do improve. This is also the findings of many other photographers. I know the battery has no memory, with is a great thing but as far as current storage, my experience is validated by images shot from new and used li ion batteries and less so with amps. 

Oct 29, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #173 of 606
duplicate 

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:33 AM Post #174 of 606
Quote:
I have a good external power source for the Monica II and with that get more transparency and generally, better sound but with fresh eneloop batteries, the Monica II sounds very good. I have read that a number of people actually prefer the II to the latest version. I asked about a dual dac version a while back and was told no way, to bad. 

It's possible but technically the design keeps improving (lower jitter, higher quality super E blackgate capacitors, now an even newer Mojo gain stage building on discoveries of the DIY community - although I haven't heard it.) Is there a source that you can share?

Oct 29, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #175 of 606
A source for what? 

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #176 of 606
Quote:
I have read that a number of people actually prefer the II to the latest version.

A source for that. You should share the read because you suggested that Yeo at diyparadise's current product is a step backwards. If it is your opinion, fine. (I do not know if you have heard Monica 3?) Instead you claim a multitude of opinions from a printed source. I believe that you have a responsibility to back that up.

Oct 30, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #177 of 606

Quote:
A source for that. You should share the read because you suggested that Yeo at diyparadise's current product is a step backwards. If it is your opinion, fine. (I do not know if you have heard Monica 3?) Instead you claim a multitude of opinions from a printed source. I believe that you have a responsibility to back that up.

This is the wrong thread for this anyway and it is something I read a while back and I remember the comments but no longer exactly where. What stuck out to me what that they preferred the older model, Big deal. What, I am going to lie about something like that? What possible benefit would that be to anything? Please, I have used the Monica I and II and was the one the suggested to Yeo to use the Black Gates in the Super E configuration.  I have corresponded with Yeo, off and on for a number of years. It is what it is. And it isn't like I said other manufactures had better unit, this was a comparison of a product from the same company. To me that is a compliment besides I am sure there are those who prefer the III. I am not going to address it any more in this thread. 

Correction: I should have stated that I read this on a couple of boards. And saying a sound of a previous dac is preferred is not a step backward for the current model, it is a statement of sound preference. Some prefer the HD600 to the HD650 and the 650 is supposed to be the more current of the two. 

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #179 of 606
I should receive a Topkit this week. I enjoy my HF2's with the stock D12 but will find out if I like it even better with the Topkit from HiFlight. I will report back. So many choices so little time. 

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #180 of 606
Boy, this little puppy sure doesn't like having my Blackberry within 5 feet of it.  My iPhone doesn't seem to create as much audio drama.

I heard the D10 was sensitive to this issue, as well.  Are the RSA units as finicky as the D12 for external RF noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back