The Hybrid IEM Thread... The Best of Both Worlds?
Jul 2, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #16 of 236
I will quote joker and which I also found while designing my hybrid iem and exactly one of the things which solved it.

As expected, there is a slight coherence issue with the hybrid BA-dynamic system, stemming largely from the difference in note presentation between the drivers. The dynamic driver has greater note thickness and generally sounds softer and less crisp. It is helped greatly by the excellent dynamics but the armatures handling the midrange and treble are still more detailed and resolving – an audible disconnect with some tracks. The Bass Boost filters, which tone down the upper midrange and lower treble, make this less obvious to my ears but the coherence isn’t problematic enough to justify using them.

Do you think the coherence issue is minimized by using a full range dynamic driver with BA's as tweeters as in the upcoming ASG-2? Also, has anyone recognized any coherence issues in the UM Merlin?

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #17 of 236
Quote:
Do you think the coherence issue is minimized by using a full range dynamic driver with BA's as tweeters as in the upcoming ASG-2? Also, has anyone recognized any coherence issues in the UM Merlin?

I think the ASG-2 will work fine because of that as it will likely just add some presence and extension to them. Thats what i think anyway.

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #18 of 236
Quote:

I think the new generation armature drivers help here. Might be a real good question to Dale. If one of the things these new drivers do that pleased him over the older one relates to note thickness better matching or what exact specific traits that make them match better with the dynamic driver. Dale did say he didn't like the old ones but he dropped the 10mm second dynamic in favor of the new ones they showed him. I would like to hear more in depth what he thinks makes these new BA's better!

Jul 3, 2012 at 2:08 AM Post #19 of 236
Quote:
Do you think the coherence issue is minimized by using a full range dynamic driver with BA's as tweeters as in the upcoming ASG-2?

Not an expert but just my opinion from experience.
Dynamic drivers are full range and can be tweaked by amount of air they can displace by changing the housing in which they reside,so that the note thickness and decay can match BA.This it self gives design and manufacturing complexities. Also it needs a good low pass filter so they donot interfere with BA.
I have just read on ASG and if I am not mistaken the original was bit harsh and people tried several filter mods, so I guess they will have to tweak the driver and iem design to work with BA.

Jul 11, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #21 of 236
Quote:
Aurisonics will launch AS-2 Digital Hybrid Custom In-Ear Monitor on July 12th at the Summer NAMM 2012 in Nashville, TN. 

Tomorrow! I'm guessing then we'll finally know the price. 

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #23 of 236
Yes, you will. And then also in a few days I should have my review of the AS-2's up. I'll post a link here when I do. Just found this thread, good work man.
Quote:
Tomorrow! I'm guessing then we'll finally know the price. 

Careful, gotta contact Aurisonics if you're using a picture from their website. It's all copyrighted and stuff so you need permission. Unfortuantely this is something Dale has been quite adement about doing, so be careful.
Quote:
Add a AS-2 picture to the second post?

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #24 of 236
Quote:
Yes, you will. And then also in a few days I should have my review of the AS-2's up. I'll post a link here when I do. Just found this thread, good work man.
Careful, gotta contact Aurisonics if you're using a picture from their website. It's all copyrighted and stuff so you need permission. Unfortuantely this is something Dale has been quite adement about doing, so be careful.

Okay, i was more thinking one of yours actually hehe :wink:

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #27 of 236
Mine havent been copyrighted, so go ahead. PM me if you want the originals. I think i have them on the computer I am at now.
Quote:
If thats okay with you of course Kenman!

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #29 of 236
Just looked and I do not have the originals of the ones i posted so far. Tomorrow I will have some though, but I'd much rather they remain with me till I post my review. I haven't taken them yet and I usually take tons and go through for the best ones.
Quote:

Jul 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #30 of 236
Quote:
Just looked and I do not have the originals of the ones i posted so far. Tomorrow I will have some though, but I'd much rather they remain with me till I post my review. I haven't taken them yet and I usually take tons and go through for the best ones.

Thats all fair enough, i can't do the picture though as i am not the OP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back