The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 14, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #1,097 of 6,326
Quote:
I'm getting a more open sound with the high gain.  On medium gain it sounds a little muffled in comparison.

Often times a change in gain settings on a headamp will also change the absolute polarity of the signal. So it will sound muffled on one gain setting and clear/dynamic with better separation on the other setting. Which gain setting is best will depend on individual recordings - not because the high gain setting sounds better than the low gain setting, per se. In other words some music will sound better on the lower gain setting.

So please experiment, even though I realise you will have to change the volume setting to get the same listening level. I do this all the time, and it is strikingly obvious which gain setting sounds better on each recording (at least to me - and a lot of the time). Getting the "correct" gain setting for each recording improves my enjoyment of a lot of music. It may work with your head amp?

Cheers
Frank

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,098 of 6,326
Quote:
Often times a change in gain settings on a headamp will also change the absolute polarity of the signal.

blink.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #1,099 of 6,326
Quote:

"Often times a change in gain settings on a headamp will also change the absolute polarity of the signal"

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

blink.gif

I'm not sure what your response means? Perhaps this link will help?: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_phase

Frank

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:27 AM Post #1,100 of 6,326
The first dynahi that was built in 2003 was built with a voltage gain of 20. After that many were built
with voltage gains ranging from 3 to 20. ( I had to look it up) Changing the gain effects the phase
very slightly at frequencys well past 50khz. Like it would do with all voltage feedback amplifiers.

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #1,102 of 6,326
Quote:
The first dynahi that was built in 2003 was built with a voltage gain of 20. After that many were built
with voltage gains ranging from 3 to 20. ( I had to look it up) Changing the gain effects the phase
very slightly at frequencys well past 50khz. Like it would do with all voltage feedback amplifiers.

sorry for this question but i´m a authentic ignorant in electronic.
a superior voltage gain introduces a greater noise?

Apr 15, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #1,103 of 6,326
usually the output noise of an amplifier is related directly to the input noise of an amplifiers first stage.
So an amplifiers output noise is directly related to the gain of the amplifier. So an amplifier with more
gain has more output noise. Some amplifiers put all the gain before the volume knob which increases
the apparent signal to noise ratio.

If you increase the amount of negative feedback in an amplifier you reduce the gain and reduce the distortion.
But you can also reduce the gain by reducing the feedback and reducing the amount of open loop gain.

Apr 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #1,104 of 6,326
Quote:
usually the output noise of an amplifier is related directly to the input noise of an amplifiers first stage.
So an amplifiers output noise is directly related to the gain of the amplifier. So an amplifier with more
gain has more output noise. Some amplifiers put all the gain before the volume knob which increases

If you increase the amount of negative feedback in an amplifier you reduce the gain and reduce the distortion.
But you can also reduce the gain by reducing the feedback and reducing the amount of open loop gain.

90% understood
biggrin.gif

thank you

Apr 18, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #1,105 of 6,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin gilmor

Thanks for posting .

Trying to clarify and understand, from the above, would it be correct to say that with the volume listening level matched,
 the 600 ohm T1  phone would sound better on medium than high gain setting  theoretically ?
Does the GSX MII put all the gain before the volume knob as you said?
What would the optimum gain level setting for the Beyer T1 600 ohm be theoretically ?
Does the volume level affect the sound to noise ratio?

Thanks for being patient.

Apr 18, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #1,106 of 6,326
The gsx puts all the gain after the volume knob. So the position of the volume knob
has no effect on the signal to noise ratio unless your source is noisy.

I have never heard T1, so can't answer that one.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #1,107 of 6,326
Hi guys, after the inital problem related to one fuse apparently OK but gone with Justin providing simply great support, I have to say I completely love the new gs-x mkII.

I use it mainly as preamp for my balanced monitor dynaudio (BM14a with Bm12s) and 3 points were crystal clear as soon as I switch it on: the really low noise floor, the deep, controlled and balanced bass, and the open soundstage, it is more like 'live performance' , more enjoyable and convincing, it's simply amazing!

Thank you Justin, I ordered back in may 2012 so the waiting was really long but it does worth!

Apr 18, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,108 of 6,326
Quote:
Hi guys, after the inital problem related to one fuse apparently OK but gone with Justin providing simply great support, I have to say I completely love the new gs-x mkII.

I use it mainly as preamp for my balanced monitor dynaudio (BM14a with Bm12s) and 3 points were crystal clear as soon as I switch it on: the really low noise floor, the deep, controlled and balanced bass, and the open soundstage, it is more like 'live performance' , more enjoyable and convincing, it's simply amazing!

Thank you Justin, I ordered back in may 2012 so the waiting was really long but it does worth!

Nice mini review vergefio, good to known balanced monitors work well with the GS-x. I too use pre out, although unbalanced to my 20year old Richter Excalibur speakers using a crappy Kenwood amp. The sound is amazing, and yes very live like in performance

I also had to switch out the fuses, in the end it wasn't a big deal, however after a week or so of uses, went to switch it on and nothing happened What!!..... but as I said no problem Justin knew it was the fuses, and was backup running in no time
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back