The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Apr 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,066 of 6,326
The TKD 2500 series is a very nice pot with a nice firm bass and a little less emphasis on the lower treble than the Dact.
Depending on the particular amp/headphone setup, one or the other may be better overall.
(Yes, I believe in some cases a pot may be better sonically overall, especially if brightness is an issue.
I feel this is the case with the HD800, especially, along with Grados, Denons, and the Fostex TH900.)
With the Dact and a high gain amp and a not-so-high impedance phone, there can be problems getting a precise enough volume level.
The Cavalli amps use the TKD.
(I kind of wish Stax used a TKD in their amps; they are both from Japan you know...)
I personally much prefer a pot because I think I have ADHD when it comes to setting a volume level, especially when it comes to serious music listening at the audiophile level.
I just find stepped attenuators sort of frustrating much of the time.
I think people should try using a stepped attenuator to make sure they like using one before they commit to it if an expensive amp is involved.
Just my 2 cents.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #1,067 of 6,326
Quote:
I just find stepped attenuators sort of frustrating much of the time.
I think people should try using a stepped attenuator to make sure they like using one before they commit to it if an expensive amp is involved.
Just my 2 cents.

Besides those 24 steps you also have 3 gain position switch. So why a stepped should be a problem ?
It is a problem when an amp doesn't have any gain switch but has an stepped attenuator.
Using stepped for more than 2 years now, cannot listen without it, ultimate precision and channel balance is with stepped att.

Apr 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,068 of 6,326
Quote:
Besides those 24 steps you also have 3 gain position switch. So why a stepped should be a problem ?
It is a problem when an amp doesn't have any gain switch but has an stepped attenuator.
Using stepped for more than 2 years now, cannot listen without it, ultimate precision and channel balance is with stepped att.

Good point. Yep, that gain switch sounds like just what the doctor ordered. All amps with steppers should have them, as I guess it triples the # of steps effectively.
It sounds like it doesn't affect the sonics, I assume. Yeah, 23 steps is a problem, but 69 sounds great. Thanks.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #1,069 of 6,326
what's the point for an exactly volume precision with stepped att? I thought the source and the cans will also affect the final volume in combine. Is this designed for an A/B comparing or anything else?

IME it was somewhat frustrating while trying to find a nice volume level with iPhone's 16 steps control, especially when you want it low enough but not muted for a nice nap. I am assuming this was not the problem with this expensive DACT?

channel balance is attractive though!

Apr 11, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #1,071 of 6,326
Quote:

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #1,073 of 6,326
I'm going with the X-Sabre. Heard the trio already and loved it.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,074 of 6,326
Quote:
I'm going with the X-Sabre. Heard the trio already and loved it.

I've heard a lot of good things about the X-Sabre and it's unique build. How does it stack up against the Master 7, which has been on my radar ever since the GS-X rocked up at my door, anyone had a listen to both?

Apr 12, 2013 at 5:58 AM Post #1,075 of 6,326
Quote:
I've heard a lot of good things about the X-Sabre and it's unique build. How does it stack up against the Master 7, which has been on my radar ever since the GS-X rocked up at my door, anyone had a listen to both?

same here. no gsx yet but soon and the m7 does look appealing. I may have a chance to audition one at a meet in May with the gsx. Really looking forward to that!

Apr 12, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #1,076 of 6,326

No idea. Haven't heard one and probably won't.

Apr 12, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #1,077 of 6,326
Quote:

Check out the Master 7 thread.  It's a pretty good write up there
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #1,079 of 6,326
Apr 13, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #1,080 of 6,326
A brief glimpse and intro to the Headamp GSX MKII

Got home from holidays and finally have time to settle with this amp .
Where to begin, how to get a feel for it .

Just a few words about the amp in hand.
What can I say, I am proud to own this without a note played.
From packaging to finishes all are just great.
All bits and pieces work flawlessly , all connections positive and solid 
I would have liked a locking click to secure the termination but it is probably better that an accidental tug pulls the connector out and not the amp to the floor, heaven forbid.
Very, very well done Mr Wilson.

I decided to take one album, a grand one .
The performance and sound quality of this is stunning.
If there ever was an album to buy to hear mood and intimacy this is it. What I write next is based  on this album only. Caveat.

Anne Bisson singing Blue Mind On the Fidelio label.
She is from Canada and the style is perhaps jazz but universally beautiful. 
I listened to the first 3 songs on the album with 4 friends I know well.
Source // Marantz SA11/2 SACD  // Balanced Argento Serenity XLR // Headamp // 4 friends

I won't go into detail but just believe me when I say the options to fine tune with this amp is mind boggling.

Oldest friend first 
AKG 701 // hardwired with aftermarket cable/copper and Bucchino XLR 3 pin 
The music is beautiful, feels a bit weird, I get the mood and the images are sharp, great control over the lower notes. 
Needs a play with gain setting and lets just say friendship needs some affirmation . 

Good old Buddy.
Victor DX 1000 hardwired with aftermarket cable/silver and Buccino BAXLR 3 pin 
Low gain and easy on the gas . Wow, perfect control over the bass I mean palpable chest reverberating sensations with utter control , this friend has been tamed to perfection.
Not to fulsome on absolute detail but cosy, a small jazz club atmosphere in spades . Mood and intimacy portrayed magnificently. minimal tuning needed here.

Through thick and thin friend
Audeze LCD 2 with Aphrodite Cu quad 22 Zeus cable with Furutec gold XLR 3 pin .
Beauty of tone, good cohesion, great controlled bass, stage not that great , need to experiment.

Soulmate
Beyer T1 / stock cable terminated to Neutrik 4 pin .
High gain easy on the gas. Great bass shockingly good bass quality . Sparkles just enough . Detailed and dynamic at low level listening.
Paints a beautiful picture. Best I have heard this Phone.

There you have it , this amp plays well with my 4 Friends but as you can imagine the individual friendships will blossom .
I am excited how it will scale with my premium source.

I am painfully aware of the following : Anias Ninn : We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are. So always IMHO. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back