The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 25, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #916 of 6,345
I remember HD800 with GSX was quite similar to the 009 and BHSE combo. Not the same, but close. When I heard them thou, HD800 was terminated SE. Also, I have the HD600 and I could see how even combining them with the GSX would not bring them up to the level to compete with the ultimate electrostatic set up that is the 009+BHSE.

Prepro, I think we will have to the chance to hear both at the DC meet. It will def be nice to compare  even in meet conditions. I have since gotten balanced cable for the HD800 so it will be interesting to compare when both (the 800 and the 009) are in optimal configuration.

As a side note David, I think the HD800 and the HD600 are miles apart, performance wise. There really is no contest there. I understand being financially strapped (furlough here I come) and with 009 + BHSE I would not itch for the hd800. If you ever get a chance, check it out. They are nice cans, and if you like big sound stage, they beat the 009 in that department.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #917 of 6,345
little O.T.(i´m sorry for this): if one person no need the perfection(but this point is questionable) one hd-800 or one he-6, well interfaced, can be a good alternative to the sr-009.
oh, right, i forgot: and the wallet  say thank you
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #918 of 6,345
I heard the HD-800's last year at the Cambridgeshire head-fi meeting and wasn't that impressed, however I can't remember what amp and source was being used.
The first time I used my GS-Xmk2, I was listening to my HD-600's with their supplied cable and the SQ was very good, but I then used the 4 pin XLR custom cable I had made for those headphones and there was a big difference, first I had to lower the volume by about 4 dB's and the SQ was and is clearer with more separation. From now on I'll only be listening to my HD-600's with that custom cable and while I'd like to hear the HD-800's and TH-900's with the GS-Xmk2, I'm not sure if either of those two headphones would make me as happy as I am with my HD-600's. If I want to hear the best sound I've heard from an headphone combo, I'll listen to my SR-009 / BHSE with my main source.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #919 of 6,345
Quote:
I remember HD800 with GSX was quite similar to the 009 and BHSE combo. Not the same, but close. When I heard them thou, HD800 was terminated SE. Also, I have the HD600 and I could see how even combining them with the GSX would not bring them up to the level to compete with the ultimate electrostatic set up that is the 009+BHSE.

Prepro, I think we will have to the chance to hear both at the DC meet. It will def be nice to compare  even in meet conditions. I have since gotten balanced cable for the HD800 so it will be interesting to compare when both (the 800 and the 009) are in optimal configuration.

As a side note David, I think the HD800 and the HD600 are miles apart, performance wise. There really is no contest there. I understand being financially strapped (furlough here I come) and with 009 + BHSE I would not itch for the hd800. If you ever get a chance, check it out. They are nice cans, and if you like big sound stage, they beat the 009 in that department.

x2. Not even close. Had multiple pairs of 600s 650s and 800s, and all three at once. Repeated to death, but I'll repeat it again: the HD800's performance depends on the ancillaries.

Mar 25, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #920 of 6,345
The level at which the HD800 and GS-X mk2 scale is scary.  HD600 is awesome for its asking price but it's not top flight any more.

Mar 25, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #921 of 6,345
Quote:

Quote:

x2. Not even close. Had multiple pairs of 600s 650s and 800s, and all three at once. Repeated to death, but I'll repeat it again: the HD800's performance depends on the ancillaries.

Quote:
The level at which the HD800 and GS-X mk2 scale is scary.  HD600 is awesome for its asking price but it's not top flight any more.

I'm gonna agree that the HD600s are fantastic headphones...and for the $ a down right steal. The HD650s were a bit too veiled for my liking and the HD800s (along with the LCD-3s) are the best headphones (especially on the GS-X) I've heard not named "SR-009s". The sound stage they cast before you is un-rivaled in terms of expansiveness. They are extremely quick and a microscope on your source (again, especially when powered by the GS-X).

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #922 of 6,345
If auditioning headphones, IMO the only way is to hope for someone to loan a pair to your liking so you could listen to them at home with your own audio equipment for a least two or three weeks.
Going to head-fi meetings is a great day out, but it's not the place to judge anything properly, even at audio shops there's not enough time to have a good listen.
While the HD-800's are probably better sounding headphones than the HD-600's, the custom cable I've had made does turn my HD-600's into a lot better sounding headphones than with the supplied cable,  I've also found the GS-Xmk2 sounds better using the 4 pin XLR socket.

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #924 of 6,345
Quote:
If auditioning headphones, IMO the only way is to hope for someone to loan a pair to your liking so you could listen to them at home with your own audio equipment for a least two or three weeks.
Going to head-fi meetings is a great day out, but it's not the place to judge anything properly, even at audio shops there's not enough time to have a good listen.
While the HD-800's are probably better sounding headphones than the HD-600's, the custom cable I've had made does turn my HD-600's into a lot better sounding headphones than with the supplied cable,  I've also found the GS-Xmk2 sounds better using the 4 pin XLR socket.

all good points. 
While my 600 has a silver aftermarket cable, it is SE. Maybe after I get the GSX I will get a balanced cable for those and do head to head with HD800. Who know, maybe the GSX will bring my hd600s back to life and back in rotation. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM Post #925 of 6,345
BTW, David, could you comment on the sound characteristics of your source with the GSX? Its a really nice player. 

Mar 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #926 of 6,345
Quote:
BTW, David, could you comment on the sound characteristics of your source with the GSX? Its a really nice player. 

I'm not very good at describing SQ but the source I have seems to give a natural sound with authority.
There's more separation between instruments with a crispness and greater detail, even instruments in the background can be heard better.
I was hearing this when using my Pico Slim, but with the GS-Xmk2 everything is even more so.
As I've said, my HD-600's cost me £269 but with my source and even the Pico Slim, they sound like £1000 + headphones.
With the GS-Xmk2, I think if anyone had a listen, they'd probably think I'd paid around £2000 for the HD -600's. I'm saying this after hearing and comparing them to the SR-009's driven by the BHSE.

Myself and IanG are seeing someone from Selby [ Yorkshire ] in May to hopefully get an head-fi meeting organised in Yorkshire. If successful I'll be taking my GS-Xmk2 + BHSE with my two headphones and also that source, then those that have a listen will be able to judge for them selves. 

The only problem with my headphone set up, is badly recorded albums do sound bad, but the good ones are out of this world.

Mar 26, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #927 of 6,345
I'm not very good at describing SQ but the source I have seems to give a natural sound with authority.
There's more separation between instruments with a crispness and greater detail, even instruments in the background can be heard better.
I was hearing this when using my Pico Slim, but with the GS-Xmk2 everything is even more so.
As I've said, my HD-600's cost me £269 but with my source and even the Pico Slim, they sound like £1000 + headphones.
With the GS-Xmk2, I think if anyone had a listen, they'd probably think I'd paid around £2000 for the HD -600's. I'm saying this after hearing and comparing them to the SR-009's driven by the BHSE.

Myself and IanG are seeing someone from Selby [ Yorkshire ] in May to hopefully get an head-fi meeting organised in Yorkshire. If successful I'll be taking my GS-Xmk2 + BHSE with my two headphones and also that source, then those that have a listen will be able to judge for them selves. 

The only problem with my headphone set up, is badly recorded albums do sound bad, but the good ones are out of this world.

We want to offer up all our best sounding material and I know it's natural to want to hear what they can do. But I also like dragging some 128k mp3s through the rig to see how forgiving/exposing the rig is. The drawback to this stellar gear is exposing less than stellar material. I've not listened to my mp3 folder in a few months.......

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #929 of 6,345
Quote:

If you'd like I can help you with your problem and take your gear (BSHE + 009s) off your hands. You can have my iPod instead :wink:
Don't mind me please, I am just jealous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back