The HeadAmp GS-X and GS-X MK2 Thread
Mar 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #931 of 6,346
Quote:
If you'd like I can help you with your problem and take your gear (BSHE + 009s) off your hands. You can have my iPod instead :wink:
Don't mind me please, I am just jealous.

When I went to the Cambridgeshire head-fi meeting, I took my 009 /BHSE and the source being used was my iPod. Some that listened to that combo thought I was using an expensive source. So an expensive source isn't needed to make the 009 / BHSE sound very good, it's just that my esoteric does seem to make them sound even better.

Mar 26, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #932 of 6,346
Quote:
The only problem with my headphone set up, is badly recorded albums do sound bad, but the good ones are out of this world.

Here we have a true high fidelity system in action.
Great sounds great
Good sounds good
Mediocre sounds mediocre
Bad sounds bad   and
Rotten sounds rotten.

Why would people want it any other way?

Any system that makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear is not engaging in Hi-Fi reproduction but necromancy.
True Hi-Fi can sound magic with out dabbling in it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #933 of 6,346
While my K-01 sounds very good, the way music listening is going I now wished I'd got a quality DAC. The K-01 has one built in but I'm sure I could've have got one to sound as good as the K-01's, but a lot cheaper. 
The DAC I'd really like to listen to is the CH precision C1, but at around $33,000, listening is all I could be hoping to do.

Mar 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #934 of 6,346
so THAT'S why people spend money to stew their cables in eye of newt and toe of frog...

Quote:
Any system that makes a silk purse out of a sow's ear is not engaging in Hi-Fi reproduction but necromancy.
True Hi-Fi can sound magic with out dabbling in it.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #936 of 6,346
Quote:
While my K-01 sounds very good, the way music listening is going I now wished I'd got a quality DAC. The K-01 has one built in but I'm sure I could've have got one to sound as good as the K-01's, but a lot cheaper. 
The DAC I'd really like to listen to is the CH precision C1, but at around $33,000, listening is all I could be hoping to do.

Did you consider the EMM XDS1 along with the Esoteric? I really like the EMM. I have not heard the K01.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #937 of 6,346
Quote:
I remember HD800 with GSX was quite similar to the 009 and BHSE combo. Not the same, but close. When I heard them thou, HD800 was terminated SE. Also, I have the HD600 and I could see how even combining them with the GSX would not bring them up to the level to compete with the ultimate electrostatic set up that is the 009+BHSE.

Prepro, I think we will have to the chance to hear both at the DC meet. It will def be nice to compare  even in meet conditions. I have since gotten balanced cable for the HD800 so it will be interesting to compare when both (the 800 and the 009) are in optimal configuration.

As a side note David, I think the HD800 and the HD600 are miles apart, performance wise. There really is no contest there. I understand being financially strapped (furlough here I come) and with 009 + BHSE I would not itch for the hd800. If you ever get a chance, check it out. They are nice cans, and if you like big sound stage, they beat the 009 in that department.

Interesting. I have an HD800 with a Pinnacle and I'm basically astounded by the sound, where I think I would not change a thing. So maybe the dynamics can compete on an equal level with Stax 009s and top-amplification, even though they have a very different sound.

I run the HD800s balanced with a Moon Black Dragon cable.

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #938 of 6,346
Quote:
Interesting. I have an HD800 with a Pinnacle and I'm basically astounded by the sound, where I think I would not change a thing. So maybe the dynamics can compete on an equal level with Stax 009s and top-amplification, even though they have a very different sound.

I run the HD800s balanced with a Moon Black Dragon cable.

I also have the balanced Black Dragon which I will use with the GSX. I cannot wait to hear that combo on the GSX.
(also, This is the GSX thread so I will not go in depth on this but for me the 009 + BHSE are the most detailed, best imaging, separation and extension. HD800 has wider sound stage though.)

Mar 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #939 of 6,346
Seems like most have HD800's with the GS rig.  Anyone with the LCD3's and a listening impression?

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #941 of 6,346
I have talked a lot of smack about audeze recently, but with the GSX I may actually consider getting that can. I heard the 3 with GSX at a meet a it is the best I have heard the LCD-3, period.

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #943 of 6,346
Quote:
I also have the balanced Black Dragon which I will use with the GSX. I cannot wait to hear that combo on the GSX.
(also, This is the GSX thread so I will not go in depth on this but for me the 009 + BHSE are the most detailed, best imaging, separation and extension. HD800 has wider sound stage though.)

Thanks. One small note, I use, at Drew's recommendation, Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors on the Black Dragon. I actually tried them vs. the Neutriks on a Silver Dragon and the difference is big to me (more controlled).
(I'll probably get flamed as delusional, but I stand by it.)

Mar 26, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #944 of 6,346
Thanks. One small note, I use, at Drew's recommendation, Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors on the Black Dragon. I actually tried them vs. the Neutriks on a Silver Dragon and the difference is big to me (more controlled).

Cool! Thanks!

Mar 26, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #945 of 6,346
Quote:

you should try both in the same cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back