The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 23, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #91 of 12,991

M Audio HDH50<<<Maybe

Original version looked open

but it was actually this

Opening fully and closing everything else up and will test.
Diaphragm pulling in air uneven like my first mod works until extreme boosting then the drive naturally gives of stress symptoms because it's warping from pulling air on one side...not noticed until put to the test. As was that mod helped a lot  After I test this version I'll let folks know.

May 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM Post #92 of 12,991

M Audio HDH50<<<Maybe

Original version looked open

but it was actually this

Opening fully and closing everything else up and will test.
Diaphragm pulling in air uneven like my first mod works until extreme boosting then the drive naturally gives of stress symptoms because it's warping from pulling air on one side...not noticed until put to the test. As was that mod helped a lot  After I test this version I'll let folks know.

These ******* slam.
Period.
Leave the diaphram alone as it creates wobble and flutter.
Take off the mesh..

KABOOM!

Wow.
Q40 does have a big brother.
What an awesome driver in this thing. Really nice.

May 23, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #93 of 12,991
@Hawaiibadboy - so how would you compare the M Audio HDH50 ans JVC SZ2000 in full spectrum (not just bass)? And regarding bass, how's the balance between sub/mid/upper bass?

May 23, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #94 of 12,991
@Hawaiibadboy - so how would you compare the M Audio HDH50 ans JVC SZ2000 in full spectrum (not just bass)? And regarding bass, how's the balance between sub/mid/upper bass?

Scratch what i said about the 77x comparison....for now

Clarity wise it's superior as it's studio cans.
Bass is about SMS DJ PRO level. Not sz maybe not Top 10. I gotta try alternate settings.
They are basshead/audiophile friendly like the Q40...the level of bass....I'm still checking.
I gotta work but I'll elaborate more later

May 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #95 of 12,991

Akai Bass mod (very likely identical twin of M-Audio HDH50)

anyone who has tried this with their cans knows this is hard. This is not distorting. This is not disrupting the mids and highs.
I opened these no less than 11 times x2 (2 sides) to find the right mod which I'll share in a bit. These dynamic drivers are very similar to my car audio. Once I thought like that ...this went fast.
Common sense....the shortest distance between an idea and it's correct execution. I coulda saved myself 9 openings of these cans if I had used some (common sense I mean)

May 23, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #96 of 12,991
Those akai/m-audio's look amazing.

May 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #97 of 12,991
I had to believe the drivers were good. They are crystal clear and were promoted as special HD reproducing drivers for Studio mastering(whatever that means?). I gotta think that's good stuff.
I was right.
The person I supposed was from the company? who mailed me the original mod idea was totally wrong except for the # of diaphragm vents.
These do hit harder than the 77x now and sound more clear than any can I own. 
The 77x have plastic backs...these have gunmetal. The 77 have 57mm...these have 50 but the driver quality of the Akai is superior to the 77x
I have to take these to the shop to "A" "B" them with some other cans. 
Can a modded set of cans go on the Top 10 list???
That's my question for myself now..

May 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #98 of 12,991
I had to believe the drivers were good. They are crystal clear and were promoted as special HD reproducing drivers for Studio mastering(whatever that means?). I gotta think that's good stuff.
I was right.
The person I supposed was from the company? who mailed me the original mod idea was totally wrong except for the # of diaphragm vents.
These do hit harder than the 77x now and sound more clear than any can I own. 
The 77x have plastic backs...these have gunmetal. The 77 have 57mm...these have 50 but the driver quality of the Akai is superior to the 77x
I have to take these to the shop to "A" "B" them with some other cans. 
Can a modded set of cans go on the Top 10 list???
That's my question for myself now..
I feel like buying an akai now... How many vents holes did you open up? I'm trying to estimate how much money I'll get from a job. Who knows! I might have a flagship before I'm 18!

May 24, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #99 of 12,991

Intro/Explanation

Many cans need mods. Denon,Grado...etc etc , benefit from light to heavy handling by adventurous owners or professional modders. It's a tribute to the can's endearing qualities. It's enough to overlook and fix deficiencies and pay for it sometimes.

I have rec'd a sz pad switch be done which is a lvl1 mod that is the easiest and nets clear rewards yet some don't even try. If you're gonna be lazy you get what you are handed and nothing more.

1. The Akai are the M-Audio

1. They have excellent drivers
  2. They are robust aluminum and gunmetal construct
  3. They are bass blasters with a mod that can be done with (screwdriver,scissors, double sided tape...thick sticky type)

The Mod

After removing the pads (twist off) and 4 screws your looking at this:

I was sent a mail by someone who seemed to know these cans very soon after launch. They said 1-3 diaphragm vents can be opened. They said 2 would be the max before changing the remaining sig. They were right but they added the vents be opened consecutively. They were clearly wrong.

I was looking at these like a sub being ported/tuned. Total wrong perspective.

This mod (above) worked like a charm. Like the person said. But at high gain the diaphragm exhibited "wobbling" not quite to the point of distorting the sig but it was right there. Not good.

If a diaphragm is pulling in air from one side it is making a vacuum and the area closest to the openings will be pushed and pulled faster or slower than the opposing side.

If I closed the parts in the above pic  marked X and left the rest open the driver will go nuts at high gain. Possibly tear itself up. That's the basket. For all intensive purposes it's the same part of the driver that surrounds the back of a headphones dynamic driver (series of holes covered) That huge diaphragm needs to move air. The holes in the bottom of the Backing plate and pole piece are for cooling the motor/voicecoil pretty much. Not much to do with ventilation

On a dynamic headphone driver the dustcap is really just a bubble in the center of the molded diaphragm.  It's not separate that I have noticed. The hole running up the back plate on a HP driver is actually able to let the diaphragm breathe (again...in a full sized driver it's more for cooling) but it's a super vac and causes a bloat. It's not too much air. It's just dead center effecting the back of the bubble dome faster than the edges of the diaphragm. That wrecks the sig.

After covering the other holes and opening just the back (before using common sense) this went right to bloat.
Pulling in much less air than 2 open vents but bloating?
It's not about the amount of air given to the diaphragm it's about where. 

Started thinking about car audio at this stage after having opened these cans so many times and thought...If I gotta give them air
  1. The pole piece vent is hurting me and my goal. Not only did I reverse that mod I covered that with thick 2 sided tape. Pole closed
  2. If I try opening 2 holes on exact opposite sides and give the diaphragm some vent balance maybe I can amp higher before distortion characteristics.
  3. Bingo

That pole piece bothers the diaphragm and it needs to keep out particles (just cover it with thick tape or the like)
Open 2 holes directly across from each other.
It makes sense and it works. The diaphragm is being fed in a balanced manner. There is no vacuum from the pole piece.

This track
blink.gif

He's digging around in his pockets...chatting with the audience on a single mic. You can hear EVERYTHING. Pocket digging every harmonica note. This mod does not effect the sig. This took so long because not interfereing with these cans crystal clear response was the mission.

Mission accomplished.

May 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #100 of 12,991
Hmm... Wow. Thanks for an idea! Jvc 55 mod time!... Isn't there two diaphragm holes on the 55's? I'll try the vent technique you thought of tomorrow.

May 24, 2014 at 1:23 AM Post #101 of 12,991
Hmm... Wow. Thanks for an idea! Jvc 55 mod time!... Isn't there two diaphragm holes on the 55's? I'll try the vent technique you thought of tomorrow.

This is the 55x
Cover the red area and very carefully find the opposite sides hole.. Very carefully and slowly open it up. If it doesn't help then just reverse it.

May 24, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #102 of 12,991

The diaphragm bottoming out on long throw (low freq) is the death of many a driver 

Most signal above 500Hz would not even be perceptible to the human eye. Most of the action on the Mylar is 300Hz and below. The lower the more visible response to the longer sound waves.
The lowest portion of the cap/diaphragm convergence point stiking the magnet/_____, is the cause for most distortion on dynamic drivers.

May 25, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #103 of 12,991
After the Cheeseburgers...

Can say the ATH AX5 sound better than the ATH WS series They are aiming for the M50 crowd since it sounds the same but has the "cool" look in ATH's mind.
These are M50 aimed at hipsters.

All the above were nice off an ipod and distorted on my bass rig. I did find a gem perhaps that may make my next Top 10 though (not pictured)

May 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #104 of 12,991

Skipped these or heard em' briefly and made the mistake of estimating they were little bros of the 2000.
These blew everything out of the ******* water today on my default settings.
No reviews on Head-fi 

(SZ had no official reviews either when I first heard em')

Apparent crippling durability issues and some seething DJ's in it's wake..
But the bass?
The transfer of energy through these on/over ears is amazing Bass not as deep as SZ but 50Hz+ is outstanding under amp. Something is getting bumped from the list. They are fragile (for a DJ) not fully over ear but on shear impact they are bruisers.

May 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #105 of 12,991
I wish I lived in Japan, so that I could go around demoing all those headphones. The best I've got in my area are a few Portland-based audiophile stores - only one of which has headphones available to try out, to my knowledge. Not even that many, either. :frowning2: Although I suppose several very-high-end headphones could be considered a lot.

I've noticed that for a while now, a lot of people have been obsessing over the Sennheiser HD8 DJs (or at least, have wanted to buy them). Not sure if the hype train has rolled into the station, yet, but do you think you could ever get your hands on those? I've heard the bass on them is very impactful - which is probably a given, as they're DJ headphones. I want to see opinions from someone that isn't just gushing about the only headphone they've ever heard within that price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back