The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
May 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #31 of 12,993
Hey, you crazy bass fiend 
cool.gif
biggrin.gif

I took U up on recommending the JVC HA-MR77X cans, as for 1. your last recommendation for the SZ2000's hit the nail on the head right on the sweet spot & 2. the 77's are an absolute no brainer to pull the trigger on - I mean c'mon - these things cost slightly more than a couple of cheeseburgers - they are amazingly low cost for a noted manufacturer like JVC.

Anyhoot, they were just delivered to me, so I quickly took some shots of these glossy dark destroyers - I originally had Darth Vader down as a Skullcandy Crusher wearing type dude, but looking at the 77's - I think these may well take pole position for the dark side of the bass for the sith lord (lol).

My review on the 77's is coming shortly to this very thread after I give them some serious listening through them - Wiz Khalifa's -On my level track is my adopted test track for bass slam - naturally.

Very early impressions of these cans just by holding them in my hands is - holy origami! how the heck can JVC make such a impressively built can for what they cost - just over £60 GBP delivered to my door?

These cans sure look the part and though not particularly heavy, they do have substance to them.

Here's my shots taken, and will post my review on the sonics shortly - but its all going very good so far.....
smily_headphones1.gif

​

DSC_1448.jpg

DSC_1451.jpg

DSC_1453.jpg

DSC_14582.jpg

DSC_14632.jpg

DSC_1467.jpg

DSC_1495.jpg

DSC_14922.jpg

DSC_1487.jpg

DSC_1483.jpg

DSC_14802.jpg

May 8, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #32 of 12,993
Epic awesomeness.
biggrin.gif

In it's price range it's a steal. (Caused me to seriously evaluate cost>>performance in The Headphone Bass can arena)
Take your time on the review.
Quality over all else. 
I'm taking moons to do the sz but it will be done proper.

I thought of him too the first time I saw em' too.

May 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #34 of 12,993

This is with no tweaks. (below)

Starting to determine/calibrate the approx accuracy of the ipad 2 mic in. 
This is testing the sz's output of the Wiz hit with BBE+8, Mach3Bass +8 and  5 Band eq flat

Gotta test without any coloring and get a zero point. 
The e12 bass boost is achieving the notable 32Hz hit that lifts the stage just barely under 20Hz. The Spike at 50Hz,60Hz should be Jeteffects. Am expecting a similar 4 hits 32, 45,50,60 Hz bumps on the track with the e12 and all jeteffects off. 

This bass review (above post) is gonna take just short of forever but all following ones should move much faster.
The point is.... what are these cans doing and why? How much is the e12 and Cowon helping this beast be a beast and how much is just the sz. 
Where does this set shine. Clearly the 30-60Hz range is the power/cause of the paper vibe. Folks say high/mid bass is what gives the thud on head. I don't think so. The Pro 900 pump but tone out before ever reaching here. 

This is the Milli hit.

Just a tad less impact full than "Rah" which hits about 65Hz. That seems to be BOOM time

May 15, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 12,993

Looks like the Pro 500 might barely or not make the list.

Having said that I still think the musical detail retrieval and solid low end make these a great bridge between Audiophile and basshead. Almost getting the best of both worlds.

If they take a bigger Alpha pad/HM5 maybe the fit issue goes away and these are all-stars.

Thanks to @H20Fidelity  for the pic and feedback!!

EDIT:
The lack of truly impact full bass cans might actually make these top 10ers anyway.
They played my favorite rah hit exceptionally ...hmmmm

EDIT 2 EDIT

Nah...they going on the list!
Thanks @BigDave 
They are well tuned Q40 on steroids....they go on the list
L3000.gif

May 15, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #37 of 12,993

TOP 10 for May 2014

1. JVC HA-SZ2000 

Peerless sub bass and entire 18-120Hz response. Final option for chronic basshead. 

2. Sony XB700

Epic bass. overwhelms signature. Can be amped well.

3. Ultrasone Signature DJ

Harder deeper low end than the pro 900. Takes more amp too

4. JVC HA-MR77x

Hits very hard. Eats good amp.

5. Pioneer SE-MX9-K

New cans. Wow. responded well to "rah" hit. Very big surprise by Pioneer.

6  Monster/Beats by Dre Pro 

Still can't past the fact that these are +16dB near 50Hz.... poor 30Hz and down response (original Monster/Dre version)

7. HPH Yamaha Pro 500

Similar to Beats pro in "pre-tuned" driver. Headroom with amp is low same as beats Pro. Hit hard as **** though

8. Monster Npulse

Like the 77x hit way out of their price range and any range. Headroom is slightly bigger than Yamaha and Beats Pro

9. Ultrasone Edition 8 "Ruthenhiem"

Again...like the #1 cans on my list these went totally unmentioned to me
Don't know what a "triple bass port" looks like but know what it sounds like.
Very low and hard hitting solid housed cans.

​

ATH - PRO 700MK2

I know...What??...they got me today. I amped them to a point beyond the Beats Pro.

I was surprised.
The first 2 I heard were damaged display models or the ones I heard today were ...
I dunno what to say? They hit really hard before reaching distortion

That I have heard using the "rah" hit these are the best 10.
Have not completed the review of the 1st cans yet so this will take time to be filled with specs, details ,optimal bass range.
It seems a mess of a list but this is based on amp eating bass hit power. It's not the list I imagined just 10 days ago. Before I heard the New Pioneer,and listened  again to the "Ruthenhiem" and MK2...man they both surprised me a lot.

Between now and next month I can see 3 changes to this list and a completion of the sz2000 bass review.

May 15, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #38 of 12,993
I'm kind of shocked.  I had the Edition 8 for months and never considered them basshead worthy.  Decent bass response?  Yes, but not in the HBB hall of fame. 

I may have to revisit owning them!  And the new Pioneer?  Interesting..................

May 15, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #39 of 12,993
You know what those Pioneers remind me of right? --> Perfect Sound Didos...

Metal --> Check
Earpads (which seem might NOT be removable) --> Check
Beats Styling --> Check

May 15, 2014 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 12,993
HBB, which track is the one you are using to do that "paper" test thingie?
I think I said that I might try it with my current basshead line-up (Ultrasone Signature DJ, JVC HP-DX700, etc.) but I just (sadly) haven't spent too much time listening to headphones at home (and I can't record at work! lol).

May 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #41 of 12,993
  I'm kind of shocked.  I had the Edition 8 for months and never considered them basshead worthy.  Decent bass response?  Yes, but not in the HBB hall of fame. 

I may have to revisit owning them!  And the new Pioneer?  Interesting..................

I'm stunned too. They are over priced ugly as sin. However. With my bass settings these things blew my mind. (They need an eq at the low end??) I went to the net to find something called "triple bass tube driver" living in there and it explains the low end  @Currawong  owned these and it was too much bass for him. It needs to be tamed but amped and these will hammer. I would not by them but the depth of the hit along with the ampable impact of the 30-120 range put it there now. These may not make future lists as I hope to find better but bass being the goal and good sub-bass being a "score"...these are win. Bass needs help. They went straight to "rah"  and "wiz" with my settings and surprised me. I was surprised folks werent saying the same thing about them.

1 question.....did they ever distort because of low end raising? The 2 pairs I played with did not display distortion signs at high 30,50,70Hz boosts

May 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 12,993
  You know what those Pioneers remind me of right? --> Perfect Sound Didos...

Metal --> Check
Earpads (which seem might NOT be removable) --> Check
Beats Styling --> Check

Yup They looked like it to me too
biggrin.gif

They rock 50mm drivers and are audio clones of the Beats pro with a better sig but similar low end tune.
Pioneer finally made a decent pair of bass cans and totally ripped off Perfect Sound dido

May 15, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #43 of 12,993
  HBB, which track is the one you are using to do that "paper" test thingie?
I think I said that I might try it with my current basshead line-up (Ultrasone Signature DJ, JVC HP-DX700, etc.) but I just (sadly) haven't spent too much time listening to headphones at home (and I can't record at work! lol).

I'm using 

It has hits at 30,40,50,60,70,80,90Hz at varying points and the lowest one seems to be a omnipresent hum that keeps the paper going between appearances by the other hits.
I use regular laser printer A4 stock cut just larger than the pads. Hold 1 side down (usually the bottom being held by the opposing cup/pad

I gave you the details for the youtube so the Sig DJ or any others that put on a show please share
biggrin.gif

This is an analogues to human skin receiving vibrations via the pads. It's easy to say "These cans hammer your head" but hard to show and many don't which means it's overstating. It's not the best analogue but I'm getting my point across.

As to the list I am stunned. Pioneer? 700Mk2??
blink.gif

It is what it is right now but it changes by the month so maybe I look back and laugh in a few months but this really is the hard hitters with amp that stave off distortion the longest. The Yammy,Ultrasone (2 kinds) and ATH actually have nice overall responses they just happen to be able to hit hard when amped 

Flat 5 band eq, Mach3bass +8 BBE +10 Cowon at 34, e12 1/2 way. Not near distortion level

May 15, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #44 of 12,993

I'm stunned too. They are over priced ugly as sin. However. With my bass settings these things blew my mind. (They need an eq at the low end??) I went to the net to find something called "triple bass port" living in there and it explains the low end  @Currawong  owned these and it was too much bass for him. It needs to be tamed but amped and these will hammer. I would not by them but the depth of the hit along with the ampable impact of the 30-120 range put it there now. These may not make future lists as I hope to find better but bass being the goal and good sub-bass being a "score"...these are win. Bass needs help. They went straight to "rah"  and "wiz" with my settings and surprised me. I was surprised folks werent saying the same thing about them.

1 question.....did they ever distort because of low end raising? The 2 pairs I played with did not display distortion signs at high 30,50,70Hz boosts

Single dynamic headphone drivers tend to distort quite a bit in the deep bass if they have a lot of bass tuned in to begin with. The main problem with the ED8s is that they are (or were) not consistent in their sound with each pair. If you go to e-earphone, for example to audition a pair, it would be best to audition a few pairs and find one with the sound you like best.  The Sig Pro and Sig DJ are better value to a degree, but still quite expensive.

May 15, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #45 of 12,993
I finally listened to on my level... Holy crap... That's crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back