The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 10, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #2,821 of 12,992
Hi, I ask you a little advice, unfortunately I have not much experience and I did not even get a chance to try the headphones because in my shops are not there, I chose these two bass headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
JVC AH-SZ2000
I'm interested to hear good music bass, house with good volume, like JVC but I fear its cable is not removable, while the Audio Technology I did not understand the difference between her and JVC has given the very different prices, jvc drive 55mm audio technique drive 53mm someone can tell me if there are substantial differences between the two in the field basshand?
There are also other good bass headphones to propose? always at the top level?

Thanks

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #2,822 of 12,992
  Hi, I ask you a little advice, unfortunately I have not much experience and I did not even get a chance to try the headphones because in my shops are not there, I chose these two bass headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-PRO700MK2
JVC AH-SZ2000
I'm interested to hear good music bass, house with good volume, like JVC but I fear its cable is not removable, while the Audio Technology I did not understand the difference between her and JVC has given the very different prices, jvc drive 55mm audio technique drive 53mm someone can tell me if there are substantial differences between the two in the field basshand?
There are also other good bass headphones to propose? always at the top level?

Thanks

SZ2K

+
Bass is the best 25-65Hz
Easy to EQ
Highs smooth and not harsh.

-
Needs an amp
Stock pads are crap dog ****
Not friendly for folks who do not like EQ

700mk2

+
Bass is strong very good impact.
Build is solid
53mm is proven bass workhorse.

-
Stock pads too shallow (like sz2k)
Clamp force very tight
mids become hollow sounding with extreme bass boosting.

Both cans must have an amp
The SZ must also have an EQ to raise the sub-bass.

Cotton can be stuffed to raise 700mk2 (pic taken from Head-fi)

Helps comfort a lot and stock pads are kept which are good for bass transfer.

900x900px-LL-d229973a_PhotoMar1221752PM.jpeg

SZ2k need a pad change as the stock pads are too poor for bass impact.

The sz2k have bigger bass with an amp an EQ and pad change

700mk2 need an easy cotton mod and an amp but eq (unless your extreme) can be done without.

The 700mk2 is an easier investment with a lower return on bass impact.

Other options?

Click top ten list in my sig.

Yamaha Pro 500
Vmoda M100

and others on the list

+ WS99 (not on list but good bass cans)

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,825 of 12,992

SZ2K

+
Bass is the best 25-65Hz
Easy to EQ
Highs smooth and not harsh.

-
Needs an amp
Stock pads are crap dog ****
Not friendly for folks who do not like EQ

700mk2

+
Bass is strong very good impact.
Build is solid
53mm is proven bass workhorse.

-
Stock pads too shallow (like sz2k)
Clamp force very tight
mids become hollow sounding with extreme bass boosting.

Both cans must have an amp
The SZ must also have an EQ to raise the sub-bass.

Cotton can be stuffed to raise 700mk2 (pic taken from Head-fi)

Helps comfort a lot and stock pads are kept which are good for bass transfer.

900x900px-LL-d229973a_PhotoMar1221752PM.jpeg

SZ2k need a pad change as the stock pads are too poor for bass impact.

The sz2k have bigger bass with an amp an EQ and pad change

700mk2 need an easy cotton mod and an amp but eq (unless your extreme) can be done without.

The 700mk2 is an easier investment with a lower return on bass impact.

Other options?

Click top ten list in my sig.

Yamaha Pro 500
Vmoda M100

and others on the list

+ WS99 (not on list but good bass cans)

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Thanks ! Have you advice on an amp to match ? Use it with both PCs that with smartphones , I do not have an external sound card , there is a good amp + dac incorporated , for PC and smartphone / music players ? I saw FiiO E12 but not the DAC , and the FIIO E17 that includes everything , sleep good for use basshand ?[/color]

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #2,826 of 12,992

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Thanks !Have you advice on an amp to match ? Use it with both PCs that with smartphones , I do not have an external sound card , there is a good amp + dac incorporated , for PC and smartphone / music players ?I saw FiiO E12 but not the DAC , and the FIIO E17 that includes everything , sleep good for use basshand ?[/color]

Anyone on here that can help him jump in. A good amp+ DAC?

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #2,828 of 12,992

Code:
[color=rgb(33, 33, 33)] Thanks !Have you advice on an amp to match ? Use it with both PCs that with smartphones , I do not have an external sound card , there is a good amp + dac incorporated , for PC and smartphone / music players ?I saw FiiO E12 but not the DAC , and the FIIO E17 that includes everything , sleep good for use basshand ?[/color]

If going for total slam the e17 does not have enough power to keep us happy.  I went from a e18 and to a e12  and its night and day.  Don't get me wrong the e17 will probably slam but not to the level for us bassheads.

To me if your using a rig with a pc in the chain.  you might not need a sound card or a DAC.  A lot of the motheroads now a days comes with pretty good integrated DAC.  Even my low end dated 970a-g46 plays back 24/192 out of the front headphone jack.  So if plan on getting a budget DAC, i say skip it.  Just get the "beast" the e12 or something with bass boost and call it a day.

This, of course, is just my opinion. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #2,829 of 12,992
  If going for total slam the e17 does not have enough power to keep us happy.  I went from a e18 and to a e12  and its night and day.  Don't get me wrong the e17 will probably slam but not to the level for us bassheads.

To me if your using a rig with a pc in the chain.  you might not need a sound card or a DAC.  A lot of the motheroads now a days comes with pretty good integrated DAC.  Even my low end dated 970a-g46 plays back 24/192 out of the front headphone jack.  So if plan on getting a budget DAC, i say skip it.  Just get the "beast" the e12 or something with bass boost and call it a day.

This, of course, is just my opinion. 

Thanks for the reply , I think the E18 is too big for the street / pocket jeans … The e12 are three versions : e12 mont blanc - mont blanc mont blanc e12a and e12DIY,  which could be more appropriate ?
Thanks again.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #2,830 of 12,992
  Thanks for the reply , I think the E18 is too big for the street / pocket jeans … The e12 are three versions : e12 mont blanc - mont blanc mont blanc e12a and e12DIY,  which could be more appropriate ?
Thanks again.

Regular version is the e12 mont blanc, e12diy you have to put it together yourself, and e12a is the newest made for iems.  The regular is the one that eveyone rocks around here.

The e18 and e12 are about the same size and the e18 is the same size as my samsung s3.  I think any amp strapped to a source is to big to lug around in your pockets.  Unless your still wearing cross-colors from the nineties 
biggrin.gif
, but thats just me though.

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #2,832 of 12,992
Hey guys, I just found this thread and it's a gold mine, I finally hit it! Like probably all you here, I'm a huge basshead too. Months, maybe a year, ago I started looking for some real headphones and after weeks of looking and headaches, I got the M Audio Q40's. Everyone told me they were great with bass and would be good for my bass need, long story short I was disappointed and even more so all this time now. They are anything but the bass monsters I was expecting, maybe if you like a little smooth bass and listen to classical music or something, they would be good for you. Idk why I kept them. Lately I began looking again, and que all the confusion and searches only to end in vain.

Now that I have found this and have some money, I'm so happy. Anyways, I think the JVC HA-SZ2000 would be the best. Does the list go from best to worst or is it all just in no order? All the others but the SZ2K/1K are either over my $300 budget, or don't seem to have much bass. I want to clarify, I want a bass beast, the most impact and power, probably not smoothness or accuracy... I'm not even sure what smooth and accurate bass is, but if it is like my Q40's then forget about it. Which on the list/not on this list would you recommend for my needs?

I will be using my Galaxy S5 and PC as sources, usually a 192k stream or YouTube if on pc. Also using a Fiio E11 amp, love the bass boost, but it crackles and hisses a lot now for some reason, so I'm looking for a new portable amp with possibly better bass boost and quieter(noise) overall.
As far SS EQ goes, I don't make custom ones or use it much. I never knew how to use it. I know the basics of it like what each slider(dont know what each thing is called) will generally do to the sound though. Every time I try making a custom one, it ends up sounding worse in one way or another. If a custom EQ other than a preset is needed, I guess I can learn somehow.

I think for better help I should also point out I really dislike veiled sounds. Like if the audio ends up sounding dull, or blanketed, it kinda ruins it for me because the music doesn't pop anymore. So that's a downfall for the SZ2K's as it's noted that they sound veiled.
Lastly, I listen to original dubstep, not the mainstream type, not trying to sound cool or anything, but the kind I listen to is pretty different sounding. For an example, look up Skream on YouTube and "Bahl Fwd Skream."

Sorry for such the long post. So any help and suggestions? Thanks so much! I hope I finally find what I need soon.

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #2,833 of 12,992
Hey guys, I just found this thread and it's a gold mine, I finally hit it! Like probably all you here, I'm a huge basshead too. Months, maybe a year, ago I started looking for some real headphones and after weeks of looking and headaches, I got the M Audio Q40's. Everyone told me they were great with bass and would be good for my bass need, long story short I was disappointed and even more so all this time now. They are anything but the bass monsters I was expecting, maybe if you like a little smooth bass and listen to classical music or something, they would be good for you. Idk why I kept them. Lately I began looking again, and que all the confusion and searches only to end in vain.

Now that I have found this and have some money, I'm so happy. Anyways, I think the JVC HA-SZ2000 would be the best. Does the list go from best to worst or is it all just in no order? All the others but the SZ2K/1K are either over my $300 budget, or don't seem to have much bass. I want to clarify, I want a bass beast, the most impact and power, probably not smoothness or accuracy... I'm not even sure what smooth and accurate bass is, but if it is like my Q40's then forget about it. Which on the list/not on this list would you recommend for my needs?

I will be using my Galaxy S5 and PC as sources, usually a 192k stream or YouTube if on pc. Also using a Fiio E11 amp, love the bass boost, but it crackles and hisses a lot now for some reason, so I'm looking for a new portable amp with possibly better bass boost and quieter(noise) overall.
As far SS EQ goes, I don't make custom ones or use it much. I never knew how to use it. I know the basics of it like what each slider(dont know what each thing is called) will generally do to the sound though. Every time I try making a custom one, it ends up sounding worse in one way or another. If a custom EQ other than a preset is needed, I guess I can learn somehow.

I think for better help I should also point out I really dislike veiled sounds. Like if the audio ends up sounding dull, or blanketed, it kinda ruins it for me because the music doesn't pop anymore. So that's a downfall for the SZ2K's as it's noted that they sound veiled.
Lastly, I listen to original dubstep, not the mainstream type, not trying to sound cool or anything, but the kind I listen to is pretty different sounding. For an example, look up Skream on YouTube and "Bahl Fwd Skream."

Sorry for such the long post. So any help and suggestions? Thanks so much! I hope I finally find what I need soon.

Welcome to the darkside.  

To answer some of your questions

Yes the list does consist some of the most bassiest headphones out there that different members have tested and showed with about the same parameters and gear used.

Yes the list goes from best to worst 

Yes you do need to use eq to get the rumble and impact that you see in the videos.  No major adjustment is needed.  Usually the only sliders that are raised is the sub-bass region.  There are a couple of programs and apps that very good for pc use.  Equilify for use with spotify and EQ APO but this changes the whole parameter of your pc.  So everything that deals with sound is affected with adjusting with APO

Yes you do need an amp with bass boost.  The e11 is fine but the unofficial official amp of EXTREME BASS THREAD is the e12.  A lot of people use it and love it.

The sz2000 is veiled but it is the king of the hill with no one in the horizon to dethrone it, for now.  The veil works in its favor cause in order for you to get to the level of bass that everyone talks about.  Your gonna have to turn up the volume and that causes the high to be to loud for almost everyone.  If your looking for set that does great bass with mids and highs.  You might want to look at the vmoda or yamaha.  Both can be had for well under $200 if your patient and look for deals.

And yes I do know what you mean by true dubstep.  Guys like the widdler, moza, and skream are some of my fav

Dec 13, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #2,834 of 12,992
Hey guys, I just found this thread and it's a gold mine, I finally hit it! Like probably all you here, I'm a huge basshead too. Months, maybe a year, ago I started looking for some real headphones and after weeks of looking and headaches, I got the M Audio Q40's. Everyone told me they were great with bass and would be good for my bass need, long story short I was disappointed and even more so all this time now. They are anything but the bass monsters
I was told the same. I had the moment of What? just seconds before the driver disintegrated.  I come on here and....nobody had much to say  enter the silence and crickets chirping wav here.............../silent cricket wav
I knew then that a thread like this would be born eventually  and thrive. I don't wanna hear the melt your face. crap...ya know a person still very active on here actually said the bass would melt my face? That's dumb. I listened...that makes me dumber. I hate that feeling. No more of that

The top 5 are pretty much on another level. The next level is cans after #5 like the M100, Pro 500, AT mK2& WS99 which is not on the list but will be replacing the Mk2. The next level down would be Q40 and many others.  Impact has a lot to do with pads and amping and EQ. So you got 3 problems
  1. your amp is not strong enough for supreme slam
  2. Your not comfortable with an eq
  3. You have your PC in the chain and everybody who has had issues with impact had either an amp not named e12 or had a PC as the source

I would think the M100 would fit.

I don't hear a veil on the SZ but I get the meaning of what folks are saying. I hear a lot of cans to be too high like treble on steroids and it doesn't sound like any show I have ever been to which is many...and many kinds.  SZ sound like a club. I know that sound so I dig it and get the big head kick.   I am not a fanboy of Vmoda like this site was stuffed with 12 months ago. I sent the owner a PM once and never got any kind of reply. Bass testing his cans on video was not the image he wanted apparently? They do kick pretty good.

The TH brothers are out of your budget. The SZ are already in your mind veiled so you will probably hear them that way and with a PC or smartphone source it might be true.
The XB are discontinued and expensive if found. The Pro 500 can kick but have an odd fit for some and price is all over the place.
When you get a more powerful amp and embrace the long slow art of EQ'ing to sonic perfection you'll be knocking on the doors of Planet Bass. And they will let you in
biggrin.gif

EDIT:
Chilly beat me to it ....and said it better
tongue.gif

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #2,835 of 12,992
Yes you do need to use eq to get the rumble and impact that you see in the videos.  No major adjustment is needed.  Usually the only sliders that are raised is the sub-bass region.

So every set of cans had an EQ? I assume so since I saw it said something about EQ settings, but just want to make sure.

There are a couple of programs and apps that very good for pc use. Equilify for use with spotify and EQ APO but this changes the whole parameter of your pc.  So everything that deals with sound is affected with adjusting with APO

I doubt it would make a difference, but I use W8.1. Anyways, I don't think I would really want to use EQ APO since it sounds like it would be inline with the native sound driver, so all the audio would be affected all the time. Unless I can toggle when I want the eq to be active and when to turn it off, I don't think it would suit me because I don't want to constantly use an eq meant for my cans... Like I would want it obviously when I'm listening to music with them, but not when I'm gaming or watching videos and stuff. So maybe something that I can only use when I want? Also, if it helps, my sound driver has a native EQ, I can choose crappy presets or adjust my own (currently on a custom one I made a while ago quickly) so idk if I can just use that since everything that goes through the on board audio (which is literally everything since there is no other Dac or anything) will be affected by the eq.[/QUOTE]

Yes you do need an amp with bass boost.  The e11 is fine but the unofficial official amp of EXTREME BASS THREAD is the e12.  A lot of people use it and love it.

That's fine, I'll probably get the E12 too since my E11 pops and crackles a lot, I'm not the only one with the problem too, really hate that one issue. Do you know how different the E12 is from the E11? Also reminds me, should I get a DAC as well for my pc? I have space for my current pc build for a PCI-E sound card, but my next build will have dual graphics cards so I'll have to use a USB Dac.

The sz2000 is veiled but it is the king of the hill with no one in the horizon to dethrone it, for now.  The veil works in its favor cause in order for you to get to the level of bass that everyone talks about.  Your gonna have to turn up the volume and that causes the high to be to loud for almost everyone.  If your looking for set that does great bass with mids and highs.  You might want to look at the vmoda or yamaha.  Both can be had for well under $200 if your patient and look for deals.

Damn, that's really disappointing actually. It makes some sense though in that you have to turn it up high and it can be too much. That also reminds me, do either have decent isolation? My Q40's can be heard loudly from outside when I have the volume up and sound still leaks in from outside, I really hate it. Are the JVC's or V-modas any good with isolation?
I still want to at least hear the SZ2K in hopes that maybe it won't be so bad in terms of the veil. I just like them better overall, looks better imo and seem more powerful in the video than the V-modas. I also keep feeling hesitant of the V-MODA because people say it has great bass and miss and highs, but that's what everyone told me about the M Audio Q40's too and they turned out to be a huge disappointment. I'm not really considering the Yamahas since they don't look very powerful actually.

And yes I do know what you mean by true dubstep.  Guys like the widdler, moza, and skream are some of my fav

High five! Do you listen to it regularly? Which of the listed cans do you think sound best with this genre? You know with the heavy sub bass that true dubstep revolves around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back