The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club")
Dec 16, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #2,851 of 12,992
Going to be getting a pair of the SZ2K's, super ******* excited. I just keep hoping it really is worth +$200, but I'm sure it will be. Just need to get my xbox I never use and old ipod touch 4g sold first to get the greenbacks.

knorris908 damn dude, that amp you got is expensive, double the SZ2Ks

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #2,852 of 12,992
Hey H.B.B.,

I have been following this thread faithfully and heard loud and clear your message about amplification is key. I saw that you reference the FIIO amp for mobile use as do I.

I also got an iDSD Micro to drive my HD-650s, and while the FIIO did a nice job, and was certainly loud enough, the iDSD was like, BAM! I was impressed with the HD-650s from day-1, but it's a whole new game with the the Micro!

So this past weekend I tried the Micro with the XBASS PH-BTX6'es and... Whoah. They had bass before, but they've been kicked-up a notch. (More power, 3D, and XBASS settings on the Micro all combine to do something special since just throwing more power at them from desktop amps doesn't do much but make them ridiculously loud.). The closed and small sound stage widened a little, the mid-bass receded just a bit so it didn't stomp the mids as much, and the highs still didn't get screechy. No, I'm not claiming that it approaches the arena of the JVC or Fostex offerings, but you DEFINITELY feel the earcups bounce along your jawline, and most importantly, they don't need to be nearly as loud as they did before to do it. All with NO EQ, of course.

All that said, my point is that it might be worth a check to see if there is similar synergy with the JVCs and Fostex'es. I've become a convert, and am fighting pulling the trigger on some HA-SZ2000's with the brainwaves leather ear pad upgrades. (Found them for about $250, but don't have the funds just yet due to Christmas...). If I get them in January or February before anyone else tries the combo, I promise to give you a blurb about them once they've clocked a couple hundred hours of burn-in. But I don't know of any portable, (The Micro IS LONG for a portable amp/DAC. It's longer than my iPhone 5 by almost a third, but probably fits an iPhone 6+ nicely.) that puts out nearly as much power, and the DAC is top-shelf to boot.

It's nice to have a portable solution that kicks almost as hard as my ASGARD 2 does!

Happy holidays!

Ken N.

Thanks for the message and look forward to any thoughts on any combos you try.

Just an F.Y.I for others.

This is the headphone section and not portable anything. I am mostly portable but if anyone finds anything that makes headphones erupt into monsters please share. I rec the e12 cuz I am portable but there are a number of ways to get that bass....and we are still finding them.

There are portable sections and other places where folks say stuff like the sz are comfy...then 5 months later after they sold them 5 months ago ...they are very uncomfy.
And there is nothing special about them
blink.gif

Ignore the whole dual driver thing and dedicated subwoofer. Ever wonder why ya'll get no love? You ...never.....learn. Nobody really listens so the damage is minor.

Anywayz....

Whatever full size cans work and what ever makes them work (head thump level) is welcome info.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #2,853 of 12,992
Going to be getting a pair of the SZ2K's, super ******* excited. I just keep hoping it really is worth +$200, but I'm sure it will be. Just need to get my xbox I never use and old ipod touch 4g sold first to get the greenbacks.

@knorris908 damn dude, that amp you got is expensive, double the SZ2Ks

Here comes my broken record
biggrin.gif

1. e12 like power
  2. way to boost the bass (sub-bvass....30,40,50,60Hz)
  3. Not stock pads

This is an ipad actually (using "equalizer" app)

If you lost 10 fingers in a horrible accident you'd still have enough fingers left to count the number of cans that do this without distorting.

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #2,854 of 12,992
 Welcome fellow basshead​

• 77x are a lot better at eating amp and pounding bass. The 55x are good for pad harvesting.
  • The 77x do this

The UE6000 would NEVER do that. Ever.....never ever ever.

77x+e12 is about 200 and you already got Viper4Android

That'll kick your head. :D

Thanks for the welcome!

Good to know they will get the job done. Are the pads on the 77s the same as the 55s? Do you reccomend any other pads for the 77?

Yeah I was kinda disappointed in the UEs, but they were free so I'm not too upset.

Or you could save for longer and get the SZ2k's and not have to drop $200+300 later :)

Cause I need my fix. I'm addicted to bass and can't wait that long (I havent been going to the club as much lately) so I need something to hold me over hahaha. It won't be long before I have a setup like that though.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:24 PM Post #2,855 of 12,992
Thanks for the great post on bass cans.  
Could someone recommend a set for me?

1) Removable single-sided 3.5mm audio jack (preferably on right side).
2) Comfortable/light on the head for wearing 2+ hours.
3) Emphasized bass without the need for EQ.
4) Efficient to get to high levels using a FireStone Audio Fireye Mini Portable Headphone Amplifier.
5) Budget is less than $150 (usually buy on Amazon Prime).

These will be used for home theater/action movies.

Many thanks,
-Eddie

EDIT:  After ~30 minutes reading this thread, I'm drooling for a blue-colored set of Yamaha Pro 500's but my budget is leaning me towards the Audio-Technica PRO700MK2 which are $155 shipped on Amazon Prime.
I might look into used sets so I can move up to a blue Pro 500.  These seem to go for $250 new.

EDIT #2:  I found a set of blue 500's for sale on this board inside my price range.  lol how about that.  PM sent to make the purchase.  I'm done here.  Thanks anyways.  :)

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #2,856 of 12,992
Thanks for the great post on bass cans.  
Could someone recommend a set for me?

1) Removable single-sided 3.5mm audio jack (preferably on right side).
2) Comfortable/light on the head for wearing 2+ hours.
3) Emphasized bass without the need for EQ.
4) Efficient to get to high levels using a FireStone Audio Fireye Mini Portable Headphone Amplifier.
5) Budget is less than $150 (usually buy on Amazon Prime).

These will be used for home theater/action movies.

Many thanks,
-Eddie

EDIT:  After ~30 minutes reading this thread, I'm drooling for a blue-colored set of Yamaha Pro 500's but my budget is leaning me towards the Audio-Technica PRO700MK2 which are $155 shipped on Amazon Prime.
I might look into used sets so I can move up to a blue Pro 500.  These seem to go for $250 new.

EDIT #2:  I found a set of blue 500's for sale on this board inside my price range.  lol how about that.  PM sent to make the purchase.  I'm done here.  Thanks anyways.  :)

Congrats on the find and purchase (almost?). Remember you always have Craigslist or eBay to look to also. Think about coming back to let us know how you like then or if you need more bass lol.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #2,860 of 12,992
I've used PayPal for several years with good luck.

Thanks. I'll just use it then. Is there any kind of protection it warranty? Like if the other person doesn't send the item, but you paid, what happens? Any info on that? I've just never bought anything online other than amazon and eBay(I know uses paypal), so I just want to make sure I know what's up.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #2,861 of 12,992
Thanks. I'll just use it then. Is there any kind of protection it warranty? Like if the other person doesn't send the item, but you paid, what happens? Any info on that? I've just never bought anything online other than amazon and eBay(I know uses paypal), so I just want to make sure I know what's up.

Protection is usually pretty good for victims whether they are seller or buyer. The wrong person very rarely gets a favorable judgement.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #2,862 of 12,992
CZ Eddie
Thanks for the help, feeling better about it. Good luck with your new cans also.

Anyone got a link for the HM5 leather pads for sale? I've been looking for them for sale, but can't find them. All I've found is the velour, but can't seem to find leather black pads for sale. Anyone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back