The Grado Revolution.
Jun 30, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #32 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
duncan... no... but everything i'ver read about them says they are more refined... why didn't you get the ms pro if you hate the recessed mids so much?

Where did I say that I hate the midrange?
confused.gif

I think its one of the main selling points of the RS1
rs1smile.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 10:19 PM Post #34 of 98
bangraman: Very good remark - and, actually, this is the reason why I enjoy collecting good 100 - 250 US$/Euro headphones of various manufacturers. I usually listen to high-end models, too, but the price/performance ratio rarely convinces me - usually I only hear an overly pronounced company signature sound, that doesn't seem to be worth the price. In addition, real life is a pluralistic regime: Sonic quality alone doesn't count - I'm a lazy person, too, and I don't like to get up during a listening session, so often enough I prefer my inferior portable "sofa chain" to the higher-quality stand-alone rig.

More philosophical than to the point greetings from Munich, today!
wink.gif

Manfred / lini

Jun 30, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #35 of 98
I've been advocating the MS Pro as an alternative to the HP-1000 for a long time. It sounds just as good as the out-of-production Joseph Grado HP-1000 line of headphones and may sound better to some ears. However, the wooden driver casing might not stand the test of time as well.

The two main hindrances that I see to the Alessandro line are its relative rarity which, in turn, leads to higher prices for new headphones. Their used headphones seem to fetch similar prices to used products from the standard Grado line but, because of the lower numbers of Alessandro headphones on the market, they're just not available as often.

And Merton, while you are welcome to try to convince someone to make a new headphone, I don't think you'll ever get a response that is fundamentally different from the one you received from John Grado.

Jun 30, 2003 at 10:33 PM Post #36 of 98
i know that.... but i will probably get the ms pro's next year... then a full blown blastistified ppa the year after that.. and then whatever cd player is budget king the year after that... and also some good interconnects along the way
smily_headphones1.gif

and what do ya'll think of ms pro bass compared to the hp-1 and rs-1 bass?

Jun 30, 2003 at 11:32 PM Post #37 of 98
I haven't heard the RS-1 enough to compare to the MSP or HP-1/HP-2. However, it seemed to me that the MSP has a little more bass weight as well as a little more treble extension. The HP-1000 headphones seemed to be a little more even across the spectrum. However, the character seems essentially the same to me so the differences can cater to different tastes a little better while keeping the two types of headphone in the same class.

Jul 1, 2003 at 4:44 AM Post #38 of 98
Merton,

Whilst still knowing that my source is weak, and needs improving... i've improved the overall sound of my amp by replacing the AD8620 op-amp with a pair of OPA627s...

Thats why I was advising you to get a pair, they appear to me to be warmer with the RS1s... a really get, rich and deep sound
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #39 of 98
It looks like the Stax flavor went out of style, and Grados moved in to fill the void. I am glad as the Grados are veyr good cans, and like every other flavor so far will fill a need and niche that no one else can. Too bad this popularity won't bring back the HP-1000s though
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:42 AM Post #40 of 98
Quote:

Too bad this popularity won't bring back the HP-1000s though

One can only hope.
-Mag

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:46 AM Post #41 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by MagusG
One can only hope.
-Mag

With their incredible popularity and demand, you would think that someone would notive the rather gaping hole in headphones from the current top-of-the-line of about $300 to the next step - the Sony R10 at well over $2500 imported from Japan. Man, there has to be someone out there who can design a pair of cans that would be better than the current high-end stuff, yet cheaper than the R10s.

Jul 1, 2003 at 7:48 AM Post #42 of 98
All this talk of Grados has made kind of want to try a set, maybe the SR-60 or Alessandro MS1. But the Beyer DT880 is tempting...and then there's the Audio Technica ATH-A900...
tongue.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:01 AM Post #43 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by donovansmith
All this talk of Grados has made kind of want to try a set, maybe the SR-60 or Alessandro MS1. But the Beyer DT880 is tempting...and then there's the Audio Technica ATH-A900...
tongue.gif

donovansmith - you sound like a kid in a candy shop - so many choices.
rs1smile.gif
It's true, there are tons of cans with one or more that will bring out something in your music that just brings you to a huge smile. Try as many as you can - the better exposure the better off you are.

Enjoy the music.

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:18 AM Post #44 of 98
HI ALL: Well I will join The Grado Revolution tomorrow. My RS1 are on the way and will be delivered tomorrow at about 11/30-12 noon. But of course they will need a 100 hour burn in. But I will sneek a listen to them on my portable rig and on my home rig. LOL.
600smile.gif

MY CD3000 are gone but were great cans and the best sounding so far.
frown.gif

Jul 1, 2003 at 11:48 AM Post #45 of 98
Lately, I have been using MS1s almost all of the time. I just sold my Beyer DT880s and ordered MS2s. More of the same, right?
Once upon a time, I owned and liked SR225s. To me the dynamics and slam of the Grados are unbeatable. Most other "accurate" headphones lull me to sleep!!
rs1smile.gif
One of these days Alice, MS Pros!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back