The Grado Revolution.
Jul 2, 2003 at 8:47 PM Post #92 of 98
Davie: Over here it's no problem - because of the simple fact that the German distributor asks ~ double the US list price for all Grados.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #93 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Davie: Over here it's no problem - because of the simple fact that the German distributor asks ~ double the US list price for all Grados.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Well, that simplifies things a great deal!

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:06 PM Post #94 of 98
Attempting to find a good interconect between my gradosr325 headphones and the Mapletree Ear+ headphone amp.
...am considering the Nordos Blue Heaven, Harmonic Technology
Precision Link and the Goertz Micro Purl (silver) AG.

Has anyone had any experience with these or can suggest something else?

thanks
canali

Jul 2, 2003 at 10:11 PM Post #95 of 98
Fair enough! I prefer the SR60s, but I agree the HD497s are pretty awesome. I actually find vocals easiest to make out on the HD497s of all headphones, though I can't put my finger on why. Anyway, guess I had too much coffee this morning. And my apologies to bangraman, he's been pretty cool about all the contrary opinions, that speaks well of him, better than one's choice in headphones ever could.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by Davie
I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. For me, the Senn HD497 does better than come close to the SR60, and street prices are quite a bit lower.

Jul 3, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #96 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Too many people here use hi-fi as it's own reference (compare headphones to other headphones) instead of comparing to a real voice or instrument. Here is where the Grados always win out.

I wholeheartedly agree. I almost always prefer the gear/systems that appeals to my heart. Not to my mind.
rs1smile.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 8:50 AM Post #97 of 98
I would agree too. But one of the reasons I'm quite hard on any headphone I get to begin with and why I routinely put them through a barrage of comparative tests at first is that if there's something lacking, having memories of so many other phones I start becoming dissatisfied. Whatever I have at any given time, I've now got to be convinced that as far as I'm concerned it's the best compromise (since there's nothing that I've tried so far which would absolutely qualiify as best) for the intended purpose.

For my recent acquisitions, I made a point of spending 2-3 weeks getting to really know them, and listening to them through various different sources, as well as tailoring one of my SS amps to suit what I felt was their native characteristics then listening for a while on that. METAs make an appearance too. Instead of my own Warted Out examples, I use a fairly standard 9V JMT META42 to listen for a basic point of reference as far as Head-Fi is concerned.

After all that is done and I'm happy with my choice, THEN I can throw away the multimeters and concentrate on the music. It's quite a busy process testing in this way and it does definitely detract from being able to enjoy the music for a while. Which is one of the reasons I'm completely reviewed out for now. But I'm willing to put in the effort so I'm happier in the end.

And yes of course I'm a total geek
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2003 at 11:22 AM Post #98 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
I almost always prefer the gear/systems that appeals to my heart. Not to my mind.
rs1smile.gif

Good motto!
smily_headphones1.gif
You can't go wrong with this. But you can nevertheless get very different results, according to individual perception, taste, anatomy (!?)...

Even during my first, happy time with my SR-80, I wasn't convinced of its bass reproduction: it lacked accuracy, contour and resolution. You just don't get all the shades and subtleties of a double bass or cello, what you get is impact on first place. The bass has remained one of my greatest concerns with Grados, beside the lack of real resolution throughout the whole frequency range. And I have to agree with bangraman about the fake «dynamics». It's probably basically an effect from the pronounced bass impact, together with the enhanced treble. I guess the DT 880 and the HD 600 offer at least the same dynamics. It's doubtful at all if reduced or increased dynamics wouldn't cause serious harmonic distortion – which obviously isn't the case. Moreover, to my ears, all Grados sound more or less colored and lack cohesion and coherence.

But no, they're certainly not bad headphones – their sense of rhythm predestines them for rock music, and I can clearly hear what people like about them: their straightforwardness and presence. Anyway, I for one prefer a more unintrusive and neutral presentation – which I find in the top Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic models.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back