The Grado Revolution.
Jun 30, 2003 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
But too much 'honesty' can get a little boring with most recordings. I just think some Gratos push that edge a bit too far in general... They become almost DJ phones for those who are ashamed to be seen with DJ phones.

If you can't take Grado's 'too much honesty', that's your problem.
wink.gif

I found it refreshing. AT W2002 is a very good fone and compared to RS1, I can see why you think Grado is just too much. I agree RS1 can be over the top easily.
Which other 'DJ phones' do you think come close to RS1?

Quote:

The RS-1 is I think one of the most guilty ones with a very dynamic, bordering on uncontrolled performance with compromises in other areas which cheapens them to a degree.

I think compromises they made were good ones rather than watering it down and become yet other restrained me-too products.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:39 PM Post #17 of 98
The HD600's are the one constant headphone. Kind of like plain vanilla or chocolate icecream always there always good. Put something on top(cardas, equinox) and it's special. I think the stax took a turn in there somewhere as the flavor of the month also.

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:08 PM Post #18 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Well the rs-1's do a lot of things wrong so this should pass..

Biggie.

No headphone does enough right.

NGF

Jun 30, 2003 at 4:13 PM Post #19 of 98
Truer words were never spoken.

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 98
It's all subjective. No one could ever recommend the perfect headphone, speaker to me. It's because they listen for certain things that I may not. As long as I'm happy with my purchase, I don't seek others approval. All I offer to folks I come in contact with is to listen to something I enjoy. I welcome a differing opinion.

Jun 30, 2003 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 98
Sorry guys...

I think I should hold my hand up and confess that the RS1 bandwagon started rolling with me
redface.gif

Hehe... Where to next?
very_evil_smiley.gif

rs1smile.gif

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:29 PM Post #23 of 98
When I first joined Headwize just over two years ago, people were also complaining about a Grado "fad." It's not really a fad -- it's just that certain headphones are getting more attention. Would you call the month or two where people were going crazy over the HP-1000 a fad? People still look for HP-1000s all the time, you just don't see many new threads about it because the headphone has been covered and people agree that it's a great headphone. They still fetch high prices.

The Melos had a hey-day as well in terms of sheer posts dedicated to the amp, but still retains value. I got mine just before Flumpus started the Melos resurgence and I'm still happy with mine -- if I sell it, it's only because I won't be able to use it when I go abroad in a few months. Melos amps are still desired and still get decent prices.

I agree with the Senn analysis to a degree -- I would hardly call them the vanilla or chocolate of headphones, though, since they also have glaring flaws (and vanilla and chocolate ice cream don't! Especially Godiva...). I always thought they lacked soul and guts, even with upgraded cabling. But as in any other market, the product with best value coupled with great availability and top name recognition becomes considered the standard against which everything else is compared. My friends all play music and they've all heard of Sennheiser because of their mics; nobody heard of Grado until I showed them my headphones. Grado does go for a more extreme presentation -- it's not just frequency neutrality, since the Senns provide that with an upgraded cable. It's providing more of everything in more or less even quantities. I've eaten curry dishes at Williams College dining halls and I've eaten them in Indian restaurants. Good restaurants' curry is full of flavor and can be pretty spicy, whereas the curry in Williams tastes like colored water with a few ground-up peppercorns sprinkled over it. Yet more people can eat the dining-hall curry than can handle the real stuff.

So I guess some people can't handle Grados -- it provides too much of a dynamic presentation, or too much treble, or too much tight pounding bass. I prefer to have the headphone do its thing, though, and have amps bring out the best in them -- this seems to be the conventional wisdom around speakers, as well. I figure, then, if you're working with more to start with, you can get more from component upgrades as well!

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #24 of 98
i think the rs-1's are a great headphone and i'm glad to see that they're finally getting a good rep on this board. i think that the modded senn flat pads (like vwap's) are a big reason for this. at their current used market price (~$400) i think they are probably the best dynamic headphones in current production and i much prefer them to sennheiser hd600's.

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:43 PM Post #25 of 98
Just for the record DanG, I wasn't complaining about anything, just merely pointing it out.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Mag

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:01 PM Post #26 of 98
Heh, Mag, I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining. As I recall, people were complaining back then and saying that Grados were over-rated. Maybe they were, because many vets back then would simply ask for the newbie's price range and recommend the Grado model at that price point.

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:29 PM Post #27 of 98
why doesn't the music series get the recognition it deserves? man.. my next can are definately going to be the mspro unless when i listen to the dt 880's i'm just completely blown away (senn. is a no go for the next few years)... the ms's are the REFINED new grado's, man!!! you best be recognisin' *says like jamie kenedy*

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 98
Quote:

Originally posted by MERTON
why doesn't the music series get the recognition it deserves? man.. my next can are definately going to be the mspro unless when i listen to the dt 880's i'm just completely blown away (senn. is a no go for the next few years)... the ms's are the REFINED new grado's, man!!! you best be recognisin' *says like jamie kenedy*

MERTON, If there was an Allesandro version of the SR-225 I would certianly consider it.
-Mag

Jun 30, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 98
just e-mail george and see if he'll make it... he might... and i must say.. i greatly enjoy my ms-2's.. but i would also like to compare them to the other fones... (we soooo need a texas meet)

Jun 30, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 98
Merton...

Just curious... have you heard with your own ears, the difference between regular, and alessandro Grados?

Duncan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back