The Fiio X5 Thread
Oct 2, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #12,797 of 19,652
Oct 2, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #12,798 of 19,652
  No posts about the X5's FW 2.31b for some time now. Are there still people using it or has it gone to sleep quietly?
Main question imo: will the 5.800 file limit be solved in the next official FW? And if so, when will this FW be launched?

I was just going to post something similar.  I dropped the 2.31b beta because it no longer supported gapless, though the file limit problem seemed to be solved.  I wish there were a separate beta thread for this firmware so we could track progress.

Oct 2, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #12,799 of 19,652
Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the new Blue Mo-Fi headphones with the built in amp, especially with an X5.

http://mofiheadphones.com/

I am going to RMAF next week & they will be exhibiting. Hoping to give them a try.

Oct 2, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #12,800 of 19,652
i don't actually think that those headphones could give anything new... giving the amp to headphones is just taking the pleasure of owning a portable amp to make the sound signature better....

about hd800... it really depends what you use for amplifier.... i tested them with something lamp based amplifier... i am not sure if they can work all the way with e12.... anyway, hd800 are not portable, and are not street wear....

also, i think that my next purchase is going to be something like ultrasone's best, instead of LCD of senn hd800... I clearly thought that LCD were all of them too heavy to be confortable.... they were heavy... the sound was nice...

the hd800 are about to be as neutral as possible, but the soundstage, imaging, and details, instrument separation and confort.... well... those are the reasons why i liked them....... they sounded different, but i liked them as much as i liked LCD, but hd800 clearly sit better on my head [i have big ears]... 

have not tried any ultrasone's best yet, they are not in any store.... yet....

back on track..... i had a problem with songs changing randomly and buttons pressing randomly in my pockets.... the leather case made by fiio solves the problem.... and it looks nice... also, it becomes way more portable, as the fiio x5 can fit in my dj one pro's case, there is space, exactly for it.... 

Oct 2, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #12,801 of 19,652
  Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to try the new Blue Mo-Fi headphones with the built in amp, especially with an X5.

http://mofiheadphones.com/

I am going to RMAF next week & they will be exhibiting. Hoping to give them a try.

I own both....I will say that skerry is talking about something he obviously hasn't heard. The volume is controlled by the source,X5, not the  headphone or the amp in the headphone. The amp does not really alter the sound signature it just adds volume. I am enjoying them a great deal. If you want some details I will be happy to give you my take thus far. I just got them Tuesday 9/30.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM Post #12,802 of 19,652
i did not hear them... i just don't like the ideea... 

if they come in romania, i will go to listen what they can, but i doubt they will ever come.... i just had a chance to listen to some beats, the most expensive ones, over the ear.... they were the worst pair of headphones.... i actually and literally had a pair of genius iems at 10$ that sounded better than the most expensive beats ever created... and now i am not joking...

EDIT ::: subguy, judging by what you own in your signature... you should give more expensive headphones a listen, before you can say if mofi headphones are good at all... i am not that sure that they can compare at all with sennheiser hd380pro ir my djonepro... and they are not that cheap.... you can explain how they sound if you like, and can compare them with ath m50x, as i listened to them more than once.....

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #12,803 of 19,652
EDIT ::: subguy, judging by what you own in your signature... you should give more expensive headphones a listen, before you can say if mofi headphones are good at all... i am not that sure that they can compare at all with sennheiser hd380pro ir my djonepro... and they are not that cheap.... you can explain how they sound if you like, and can compare them with ath m50x, as i listened to them more than once.....

Wow - I really can't believe you just critiqued something you haven't heard and then gave someone who's owned headphones like the SE846 advice that he should listen to more expensive headphones. Really?

Mind blown !

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #12,805 of 19,652
  i did not hear them... i just don't like the ideea... 

if they come in romania, i will go to listen what they can, but i doubt they will ever come.... i just had a chance to listen to some beats, the most expensive ones, over the ear.... they were the worst pair of headphones.... i actually and literally had a pair of genius iems at 10$ that sounded better than the most expensive beats ever created... and now i am not joking...

Judging from your last few posts, i think it will be best for everyone that you stop offering opinions regarding equipments to which you have no real exposure before the thread got derailed.

Also, please stop with the Beats bashing.  Their new HPs are not craps.  Get off the train already...

Oct 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #12,806 of 19,652

Judging from your last few posts, i think it will be best for everyone that you stop offering opinions regarding equipments to which you have no real exposure before the thread got derailed.

Also, please stop with the Beats bashing.  Their new HPs are not craps.  Get off the train already...

Well technically the Beats aren't crap in the first place; it is just a matter of the consumer want to see it as such.

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #12,807 of 19,652
  I'm planning on getting the X5 now that apple is taking out the ipod classics out of sales. What I'm wondering is what line out dock do you guys use to connect to a portable amp. Is the X5 good with the Fiio e12 and the sennheiser HD650 or do you recommend something else. I usually go for bass but I'm new so I'm learning stuff like treble. soundstage. and everything.

What I'm doing is Fiio X5 > Line Out > Fiio e12 > 3.5mm Adapter jack that comes with HD650 > HD650

@Genjisleeps
I know this is a little late in reply - been away for quite a while and just catching up on the thread.

The combo you are asking about is my favourite with the x5. I take it to work with me and really enjoy it immensely. The HD650s will also play well without the e12, however, for the full experience -  rich, wide and deep - the e12 really pumps it out.

And for those tracks that really demand it, the bass boost on the e12 works a treat.

Test it out and see if it suits you.

Hope this helps

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #12,808 of 19,652
All's I know from my brief maybe one week membership in here, is that I'm now ruined for life (or until I can scrap up more pennies). I loaded up my X5 with different types of music yesterday and spent some listening with the SCL5's...and was pretty happy with my purchase. Same tracks today with the 846's...and I'm a believer! I literally sat at my desk hitting the shuffle and rewind buttons on the player with my head in my hands and my eyes closed. Often stopping the track...increasing the volume by 10 - 15, hit rewind and just soaked it all in. I was rockin and bobbin and weaving and when I'd open my eyes the cats would be just looking at me like What is wrong with the Hoomin? I'm enjoying my music like I haven't in years. I know that like any hobby...you need to pay to play. But dollar for dollar with file storage and cases to keep everything safe and warm...I would not be able to reproduce this SQ in a home system on the same budget. This set up is awesome!
In all seriousness...the 846's are freekin amazing. I'm running the X5 completely Flat with the Gain level on Low. Does anybody run their gain on High?

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #12,809 of 19,652
  All's I know from my brief maybe one week membership in here, is that I'm now ruined for life (or until I can scrap up more pennies). I loaded up my X5 with different types of music yesterday and spent some listening with the SCL5's...and was pretty happy with my purchase. Same tracks today with the 846's...and I'm a believer! I literally sat at my desk hitting the shuffle and rewind buttons on the player with my head in my hands and my eyes closed. Often stopping the track...increasing the volume by 10 - 15, hit rewind and just soaked it all in. I was rockin and bobbin and weaving and when I'd open my eyes the cats would be just looking at me like What is wrong with the Hoomin? I'm enjoying my music like I haven't in years. I know that like any hobby...you need to pay to play. But dollar for dollar with file storage and cases to keep everything safe and warm...I would not be able to reproduce this SQ in a home system on the same budget. This set up is awesome!
In all seriousness...the 846's are freekin amazing. I'm running the X5 completely Flat with the Gain level on Low. Does anybody run their gain on High?

Annoying, right?  :wink:  I should make a list of my headphones and stuff, but in short all my IEMs, "canalbuds," DJ headphones, casual headphones, and studio monitors are fine with the low gain setting outside of my AKG Q701s.  Those I use on high, although I feel like I should run the X5 through my E18 headphone DAC/Amp (amp only in this case) and see how that fares.  My daughter and I have fairly sensitive hearing, so that might have an impact as well as my friends turn up the volume immediately when checking it out.

I also run the EQ flat when using good source files, although I use the bass boost option on my E18 with the Q701s, so I'd probably do a bit of EQ work if I used them with the X5 a lot more.

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #12,810 of 19,652

This is what it's all about, enhancing ones enjoyment and not over analyzing things. You do have to pay to play, but this seems to be much less expensive with the X5.

I've used high gain with the LCD-2 and it wasn't bad. Better with the e12 but doable straight from the X5 on high gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back