The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #6,091 of 19,652
Wow, 15 years for gym headphones is amazing, I'm lucky if I can get 2 or 3 it seems like. I'm using my SE846's at the gym now, hope they don't go bust, they were expensive!

Apr 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #6,092 of 19,652
Anyone here familiar with the HPL cables? Am considering their. Nobium Silver cables. Hopefully someone here can give me some feedback on the following issues:

1. Any audible difference between 4-braid vs. 6-braid?
2. Would sheathing improve resistance to tangle?

Would HPL cables be best bang for my $$?
confused_face_2.gif
I've only used stock cables thus far, so I can be considered a novice when it comes to the subject of custom cables.

Hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

Two options worth considering:

BTG-Audio: http://www.btg-audio.com/
Ted over at Headphone Lounge: http://headphonelounge.com/company/

Apr 4, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #6,093 of 19,652
Anyone here familiar with the HPL cables? Am considering their. Nobium Silver cables. Hopefully someone here can give me some feedback on the following issues:

1. Any audible difference between 4-braid vs. 6-braid?
2. Would sheathing improve resistance to tangle?

Would HPL cables be best bang for my $$? :confused_face_2: I've only used stock cables thus far, so I can be considered a novice when it comes to the subject of custom cables.

Hope someone here can point me in the right direction.

To my understanding, Chester over at customisears is selling both the HPL cables and FBI cables ( HPL used to obtain their cables from ted. They separated and ted is now making FBI cables. ) So it'd be easier to compare the differences there.

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #6,094 of 19,652
Just got my X5 today and man you guys weren't lying about the terrible UI. It totally ruins my experience. Then on top of that the 2-3 second delay in selecting songs is excruciating. Very disappointed in the OS and functionality.

It does sound good. I'm coming from a Cowon J3 which many here don't even consider an audiophile DAP. Can't say the X5 is as big of an upgrade in sound as many led me to believe.

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:36 AM Post #6,095 of 19,652
Just got my X5 today and man you guys weren't lying about the terrible UI. It totally ruins my experience. Then on top of that the 2-3 second delay in selecting songs is excruciating. Very disappointed in the OS and functionality.

It does sound good. I'm coming from a Cowon J3 which many here don't even consider an audiophile DAP. Can't say the X5 is as big of an upgrade in sound as many led me to believe.

I think it have good UI. I just need few min to get used to it

Apr 5, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #6,096 of 19,652
I love my new X5 which arrived today. I am coming from an iPhone 4s and the X5 definitely sounds less electronic, more natural, with a bit more air around each note and a hard to describe power behind the sound.

The UI takes a bit of getting used to, and while not as good as Apple, works well enough. Being able yo make playlists besides favorites would be a huge upgrade.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #6,097 of 19,652
Wasn't aware of this, so I figured I would post this in case anyone else that's interested wasn't aware also, but it looks like the accessories for the X5 are up on the FIIO website (in English!) Was hoping for a sport case for this thing though, Here's a link:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000056988354&MenuID=105026009

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #6,098 of 19,652
I remember X5 wheel spins with our thumbs... One Piece lovers who bought the One Piece skin for their X5 gonna hate! Removing their heads -_-

Dear FiiO,

Why not just leave the job of skin to GelasSkin? Just a suggestion xD

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #6,099 of 19,652
I feel like X5 will end up being the best bang for the buck, depending on what they decide to price the X7 at. It seems like a $1000 DAP for $350, I think the law of diminishing returns sets in harder after the X5, but will have to wait and see.

I agree on this the X5 is by far the best bang for your buck DAP when sound quality, UI and build quality are all taken into consideration. I'm still price-shopping and would gladly wait a bit for prices to come down a bit. If not then I'll be grabbing one from mp4nation at some point.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #6,100 of 19,652
Wasn't aware of this, so I figured I would post this in case anyone else that's interested wasn't aware also, but it looks like the accessories for the X5 are up on the FIIO website (in English!) Was hoping for a sport case for this thing though, Here's a link:

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?ID=100000056988354&MenuID=105026009

Nice! I might get the leather case or the carry case.

@JamesFiiO : i noticed a grammatical error:

On the accessories page, beneath the silicone case head, it says "ray" instead of "gray"

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #6,101 of 19,652

On the accessories page, beneath the silicone case head, it says "ray" instead of "gray"

Yeah I like the carry case to use with my X5/E12, wish they had a case with a clip though so I could at least use it at the gym. As of yet I haven't figured out how I am going to carry this thing into the gym with me, don't feel it would be secure enough just sitting in my pockets.

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #6,102 of 19,652

Yeah I like the carry case to use with my X5/E12, wish they had a case with a clip though so I could at least use it at the gym. As of yet I haven't figured out how I am going to carry this thing into the gym with me, don't feel it would be secure enough just sitting in my pockets.

With the risk of repeating myself and the hope to draw attention to it, I have the exact same problem and I can't stress enough how good it'd be having an armband or some sort of secure case with a clip for sporting purposes. :)

Apr 5, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #6,105 of 19,652
Where can I buy all these X5 accessories?

I think James said they were looking around the 20th for the release date on some of these accessories, no prices have been announced yet but I'm sure they will be available from any retailer that carries FIIO, maybe even from their website, not sure about that though, just speculating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back