The Fiio X5 Thread
Apr 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #6,061 of 19,652
Any chance to get playlists creation on the go (or dynamic playlists)? It's annoying to choose a new album every time the previous one ends, when it should be possible to add quickly few albums to the playlist and just listen to this damn thing :wink: Or is it possible already (sorry, maybe I missed that)?

Last I read .m3u playlist support is on their list but not in the immediate future for firmware updates. Hopefully soon! They doing updates fairly frequently.

Apr 4, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #6,062 of 19,652
That's with any form of storage. I have 119GB available after formatting my 128GB card to Fat32

That's about right. It's not an issue with FAT32 or NTFS or ExFAT. To put it simply, the discrepancy is a result of how marketing people present the memory capacity and how the computer reads it.

People tend to think of numbers as multiples of 10, 100, 1,000 and so on. Look at the small print on your SD card packaging. It'll state somewhere (with an asterisk *) that 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, which is misleading. Computers read 1GB memory as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Thus, 128GB cards will only register as 119,209,289,550 bytes (minus the "protected area" I mentioned some posts earlier) on your computer ... regardless of which format you select. Hence, 119GB.

Hope this answers your question.

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #6,063 of 19,652
That's about right. It's not an issue with FAT32 or NTFS or ExFAT. To put it simply, the discrepancy is a result of how marketing people present the memory capacity and how the computer reads it.

People tend to think of numbers as multiples of 10, 100, 1,000 and so on. Look at the small print on your SD card packaging. It'll state somewhere (with an asterisk *) that 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes, which is misleading. Computers read 1GB memory as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

Thus, 128GB cards will only register as 119,209,289,550 bytes (minus the "protected area" I mentioned some posts earlier) on your computer ... regardless of which format you select. Hence, 119GB.

Hope this answers your question.

Yessir I am totally aware of that. But thanks for the detailed explanation as I'm sure others will get pissed upon getting cheated out of 8GB after spending more than 100 bills on an sd card lol

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #6,064 of 19,652
So am I hearing correctly? (reading I should say). I should not use high resolution album covers? If I use 1600x1600 album covers I am screwed? I don't like low resolution anything. I like clear album covers on my computer. Any idea here?

Apr 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #6,065 of 19,652
  So am I hearing correctly? (reading I should say). I should not use high resolution album covers? If I use 1600x1600 album covers I am screwed? I don't like low resolution anything. I like clear album covers on my computer. Any idea here?

The screen resolution on the X5 isn't hi-res to begin with so you won't be losing much detail. There aren't enough pixels on the screen to even show the entire image either.

Best bet is to use your hi-res cover art and convert them down.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #6,066 of 19,652
I guess it should work, but it wouldn't be my first choice. Not every SD card formating utility implements the process the same way (e.g., the built in utility in Windows only goes up to 32GB).
sdcard.org is the official SD card standards organization. Thus their SDFormatter is the standard formatting utility which works on all SD cards. I've always only used their latest SDFormatter utility (better safe than sorry) and it works everytime. Doesn't mean other utilities will not work.

I downloaded that utility for a newly-arrived Sandisk MicroSD today. It formatted without asking whether Fat32, NTFS etc. On completeion is was Ex-FAT. Have I missed something?

I then used Windows (7) Format and chose NTFS which worked fine. On 64GB card, so Win7 goes higher than 32GB?   Now have 50GB hi-res  music awaiting X5.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #6,067 of 19,652
  I downloaded that utility for a newly-arrived Sandisk MicroSD today. It formatted without asking whether Fat32, NTFS etc. On completeion is was Ex-FAT. Have I missed something?

I then used Windows (7) Format and chose NTFS which worked fine. On 64GB card, so Win7 goes higher than 32GB?   Now have 50GB hi-res  music awaiting X5.

not sure about the windows formatting limitation. I format terabytes of flash based drives at work using NTFS. Fat32 has some individual file size limits of 4gb something.

once we couldn't recognize a 2 terabyte drive but it just required a controller firmware update, nothing to do with windows.

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #6,068 of 19,652

I posted this quite a few times, but here it is again:

First of, let notes that SD's 'class' is determined by its lowest speed, either writing or reading. So a SD card with Class 4 writing speed and Class 6 reading speed will still call a Class 4. For the same reason, a SD card with Class 6 writing speed and Class 4 reading speed is still a Class 4. In general, reading speed is almost always faster than writing speed, so a Class 4 card usually has a Class 4 writing speed but a higher (ofter Class 6~7) reading speed. In X5, we only care about the reading speed since that's going to affect playback (where the CPU is reading from the SD). The problem is, since SD card only show the lowest speed (which is usually the writing speed), we won't know if we have enough reading speed or not.

If you only listen to 16bit 48kHz (16/48) encoded music, a Class 2 card will be enough. But if you listen to 24bit 192kHz (24/192) encoded compressed music (i.e. 24 bit FLAC) , the minimum reading speed required is usually around Class 6. For uncompressed wave, you will need as much as a Class 9 - so just to be safe, anytime you want to playback 24/192 music, a Class 10 card is a safer bet. You might or might not get away with a Class 4 card, depends on the reading speed that you won't know until you have the card and able to test out the actual reading speed with H2Testw.

Okay, I'm trying to understand this.

AVCHD 1080/60p, a compressed hi-def video format, maxes out at around 28 MBs.  Uncompressed 4K video is around 60 MBs.  Very fast solid state memory is required to keep up with these rates for either reading or writing.  AVCHD is, primarily, a consumer format, and camera manufacturers recommend Class 10 cards.  Uncompressed 4K is a professional format and special memory cards are used for it.

For audio, on the other hand, a 24 bit/192 kHz wave file consists of 24 bits per sample x 192 k samples per second = 3 bytes per sample x 192 k samples per second for a total of 576,000 bytes per second, or approximately .6 MBs.  

A Class 6 card can operate up to 6 MBs, a full order of magnitude faster, and can obviously accommodate hi-res wave files.  Even a Class 4 card should be more than fast enough for music.

Why would a Class 9 card be required for hi-res audio?

Apr 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #6,070 of 19,652
Went to the MP4 nation site as I missed out on the twenty or so units my local dealer received yesterday. All gone. MP4 nation still lists the X5 as a pre-order even though they also say that delivery was expected on April fourth. Does anyone know anywhere that has the X5 in stock and will ship to Canada? Does anyone know if MP4 nation actually has stock? Also I have been unable to log in to my account there, even though I know my username and password have been entered correctly.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #6,071 of 19,652
  Went to the MP4 nation site as I missed out on the twenty or so units my local dealer received yesterday. All gone. MP4 nation still lists the X5 as a pre-order even though they also say that delivery was expected on April fourth. Does anyone know anywhere that has the X5 in stock and will ship to Canada? Does anyone know if MP4 nation actually has stock? Also I have been unable to log in to my account there, even though I know my username and password have been entered correctly.

I got mine from Headphone Bar in Vancouver. http://headphonebar.com/ It says on their website that they will be selling the units they have only in their store at first and you'd have to wait for a while if you order online.

Apr 4, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #6,072 of 19,652
Yes, I checked Headphone bars website and saw that they won't be doing any online sales until they receive their next batch. In any regard they are on the west coast and I live in Ontario. I purchased my X3 from Headfone Shop in Toronto. That is the dealer I referred to in my original post. They should be getting more on the 13th, so I will probably just have to wait until then.

Apr 4, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #6,073 of 19,652

Mp4 is waiting on new stock. They got one shipment but wasn't enough to cover the whole first preorder batch. I don't think they know exactly when or how many more they'll be getting, but I did hear they expect more possibly today or tomorrow.

Apr 4, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #6,075 of 19,652
Hi I am wondering how I can turn off EQ on X5.

Thanks

First go to equaliser. Then search for normal. Normal is the actual eq of the player ; hence it's called normal. Enjoy your X5 as much as I'm enjoying mine :wink:

About the hot X5 while charging.... somewhere ClieoOS mentioned as long as it doesn't feel like a phone after intense 3D game play it's totally fine. However I used to own a Samsung galaxy w and an iPhone 4. Both phones felt extremely hot after prolonged use on demanding applications like Fifa and Deer Hunting. The X5 kinda feels like that. And I distinctly remember downloading a battery info app on my galaxy W and when it was extremely hot, it was around 45-50°c. That said, I'll take James' advice and charge the X5 while off the next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back