The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 22, 2014 at 8:46 AM Post #11,221 of 19,652
  The tags are stored in the metadata (not the binary code of the track) - so mp3tag can handle it fine. You can choose to delete all tags, or simply list all tags (extended) and delete the ones you don't want.

I've found the easiest way to do it is to put in your preferences what tags you want to keep - then choose delete all and then undo.  Only the tags you want should be restored.  I always do a double check (using the extended tags search) as well - and sometimes some do get left behind.  Some of HD Tracks stuff is really bad.  Best to nuke all except what you actually want.

But again though - mp3tag will do all of this.  And if you choose to delete all with mp3tag - they all get deleted.

And if the header of the tag is corrupted and no longer identifies itself correctly as a tag/header/metadata?

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #11,222 of 19,652
  And if the header of the tag is corrupted and no longer identifies itself correctly as a tag/header/metadata?

Then clear the tags compeltely - and mp3tag will do it.  In fact most decent tag editors have this function.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:03 AM Post #11,224 of 19,652
hey guys regarding ffw 2.0 it claim to make mp3 files sound better soes that mean its is worth to use the dap for mp3 files?

I would think so, yes.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/7875#post_10498071

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #11,225 of 19,652
https://www.google.ca/search?q=gain+curve

In this case it would be tweaking the output of the DAC pragmatically across the frequency band to change the signature. This is slightly different than an eq, because the response to gain across a curve can be varied at any band.

Sounds like a parametric EQ to me :) Believe me, if we had cooked up such a software function we'd make it user-customizable (as many users had requested) rather than hide it as a mysterious behind-the-scene tweak (which would be a crapshoot with all the possible headphone pairings out there anyway)... :smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 22, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #11,226 of 19,652
Debating to upgrade from x3 to x5. Don't know if it is worth it. Is the sound quality noticeably better? Battery life any better? One thing I can't stand on x3 is that when browsing by folder, If I am listening to albums by one artist, which I do a lot, and I want to go back to the album tree from that same artist to pick another album, I click the 'back' button and it starts over at the main menu, resulting in about 8 clicks and scrolls to get back to the 'album' spot I was previously in. Ridiculous. This seems like coding '101' for an audio player.

Did they fix this on the x5?

Jul 22, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #11,227 of 19,652
Debating to upgrade from x3 to x5. Don't know if it is worth it. Is the sound quality noticeably better? Battery life any better? One thing I can't stand on x3 is that when browsing by folder, If I am listening to albums by one artist, which I do a lot, and I want to go back to the album tree from that same artist to pick another album, I click the 'back' button and it starts over at the main menu, resulting in about 8 clicks and scrolls to get back to the 'album' spot I was previously in. Ridiculous. This seems like coding '101' for an audio player.

Did they fix this on the x5?

Yes the sound quality is better. Well, at least most think so, but a head to head comparison if possible is the best idea.

If I'm not mistaken I think FiiO has corrected the issue of returning to the previous menu with the latest beta firmware of the X5, which is available to download from the beta firmware thread.( search the forums).

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #11,228 of 19,652
  First Hi @ all,

I have a silly Problem with the digital out with my x5.
Please can someone test the first 30 seconds of Michael Jackson Thriller for me.
In this second you will hear a Person who run from the right side to the left.
Sometimes this Person goes from the left to the right side.

I have no other Player with digital out, and i can not test if the Problem Comes from the x5 or from my D/A converter.

Have some other peoples this Problem?

Thank You

Greetings from Austria Vienna

Sounds like you are occasionally reversing left and right when you are putting your headphones on!

Thanks for the reply, but i hear with the Digital out (coax), then put the coax out in the digital in from the D/A converter and then i go full active ( high,mid,low) in the Amps in my car.

then i set the Time alligment and test the Settings, under this test tracks is Thriller, and somtimes i hear it from the false site.
This is a reversing left and right Problem, but i can not test from the x5 out or from my D/A converter.
I test this 10 times and 3 Times it is wrong.

Please can sombody hear 30 sec Thriller for me

Thank all

from Vienna Austria

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #11,229 of 19,652
I agree that their tagging is all over the shop, but I think it might be the labels creating the music, not HD tracks just who distribute it. No different I think to a CD store selling CDs where some have great liner notes and some have a single sheet with crappy printing and zero useful information.

Then they should standardize - just like Amazon, Google, and iTunes!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Loquah said, HDTracks does not create or tag the files, they post whatever they receive from the record companies.

I downloaded The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots from HDTracks a couple of weeks ago, & the transfer was complete garbage. It was a 5.1 mix transferred into 2 channels incorrectly with a lot of the data missing. I found out later it is a known problem & I was able to get a refund.

Warner Bros provided garbage files for sale. I don't hold HDTracks blameless because they shouldn't be selling files with known problems, but they are not the original source of the problem.

Buyer beware...

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #11,230 of 19,652
Any former Hp-p1 owners?
I currently have an iPhone 4 + Hp-P1 + Shure 535LTD (w/ silver dragons) running aiff files ripped from CD collection. I’m pretty happy with this set up. The only reason to consider a change would be for a smaller foot print, possibly increase listening experience (detail, depth, warmth, etc), hate stacks, and more memory.
So my question is, if we leave hi-res and DSD off the table and only focus on my aiff files played on both Hp-p1 and Fiio X5 through the 535 LTD? Apples to apples. Is the switch worth it?
Any advice from those who may have owned both is greatly appreciated.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #11,231 of 19,652
When I first got my X5 I loved the slightly nostalgic appeal of a scroll-wheel. Now, a couple of months in & with it's memory capacity filled to but half of it's 256GB max, the wheel feels like an inappropriate inconvenience on a device than can hold so many files. That Fiio have swiftly set about refining parts of the UI and adding functionality is laudable, but to ignore improving the basic navigation astounds me.

Seriously hope this will be addressed in future firmware updates or I think it'll be a short time before I defect to something with a more agreeable (ie speedy) means of finding what I want to listen to.

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #11,232 of 19,652
Thanks for the reply, but i hear with the Digital out (coax), then put the coax out in the digital in from the D/A converter and then i go full active ( high,mid,low) in the Amps in my car.

then i set the Time alligment and test the Settings, under this test tracks is Thriller, and somtimes i hear it from the false site.
This is a reversing left and right Problem, but i can not test from the x5 out or from my D/A converter.

Thank all

from Vienna Austria

Sorry man, I don't have a copy of MJ's "Thrilla!"

Jul 22, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #11,233 of 19,652

Thank all

from Vienna Austria

Using HD version of Thriller from HIStory album, connecting X5 via coax out to my DAC. Each time I play the file, the door creaks open at the beginning across both channels (i.e. basically centred) and then the footsteps move from right to left.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #11,235 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back