The Fiio X5 Thread
Jul 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #11,252 of 19,652
Thanks, I finally got it open.

Next problem: firmware update. I followed the instructions. New empty card in the left slot. I downloaded x5 firmware 2.0 and unzipped it into the card, which is 'removeable disc' on my pc. I ejected the x5 from usb. I held the upper left button by the scroll wheel and then the power button. Message received 'no firmware present'
The firmware file is 'x5.fw'. It says place in root directory. There is only once place to drop this file.

What am I doing wrong? I did this the same way with x3 model and had no problems.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:20 AM Post #11,253 of 19,652
Thanks, I finally got it open.

Next problem: firmware update. I followed the instructions. New empty card in the left slot. I downloaded x5 firmware 2.0 and unzipped it into the card, which is 'removeable disc' on my pc. I ejected the x5 from usb. I held the upper left button by the scroll wheel and then the power button. Message received 'no firmware present'
The firmware file is 'x5.fw'. It says place in root directory. There is only once place to drop this file.

What am I doing wrong? I did this the same way with x3 model and had no problems.

Is it reformatted to FAT32? In slot 1?

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #11,255 of 19,652
And if you cannot format the card on windows, just use the built-in function in the X5 (see settings). Worked like a charm for me with a 64gb card.

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #11,257 of 19,652
Hi, complete newbie here. I'm not really up with the jargon so please go easy on me!

I have an extensive music collection, and it's gotten to the point where my iPod classic 160GB is nearly full. I'm looking to buy a new high-capacity MP3 player, and googling has led me to this device, which I hear can currently hold 256GB using a couple of micro SD cards.

My problem is that, although I can work iTunes I don't have the first clue about formatting SD cards to different formats, or media management software other than iTunes.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this product suitable for someone like me, ignorant but willing to learn? Is the instruction manual nice and idiot-proof?

And if not, does anyone know of any other high-capacity MP3 players that may be more suitable for my needs?

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Cheers!

Jul 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #11,258 of 19,652
Well, 256Gb plus the extra cards that you want to use... That is unlimited storage capacity...
It's really easy to use:
1. You format the card on the device like you do with a digital camera;
2. You simply copy-paste or drag-and-drop  the music from your itunes library to the cards
And that's it!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM Post #11,259 of 19,652
I made the jump from an iPod Classic to the X5 and it's been great, it just sounds better and I don't regret making the switch.

-

Formatting SD cards is very easy, and you'll find many tutorials on how to do so online, you can even format them on the device itself.

-

As for media management, I still use iTunes for my lower resolution music files (iTunes cannot import music files higher than 96/24k) And I keep the higher resolution music files in a separate folder on my computer.

-

Obviously you can't sync the X5 with iTunes directly as you would with an iPod, so to solve that I create 'folders' on the X5's SD card and then drag and drop from iTunes to the folders on the SD card.

I use this folder structure on the X5, note that the parentheses are folders.

*SD CARD #1*

>(Artists)
>>(insert artist name here)
>>>(insert album name here)
>>>>01 song
>>>>02 song

>(Playlists)
>>(insert playlist name here)
>>>01 song
>>>02 song

*SD CARD #2*

>(Artists)
>>(insert artist name here)
>>>(insert album name here)
>>>>01 song
>>>>02 song

>(Playlists)
>>(insert playlist name here)
>>>01 song
>>>02 song

The X5 cannot handle playlists (m3u, xml, etc.) as of right now (at least with the official non-beta software) but Fiio is working on implementing this feature and many others in the next update. So for every playlist I have in iTunes, I create a folder on the X5 and simply drag and drop every song in that playlist to the folder on the SD card. I have many duplicates by organizing my music like this because sometimes I have the same song in multiple playlists.. But that's okay, at least for now, I have tons of space left.

Hopefully this helped!

EDIT:

You can download the X5's User Guide from here: Download and take a look for yourself!

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #11,260 of 19,652
Hi, complete newbie here. I'm not really up with the jargon so please go easy on me!

I have an extensive music collection, and it's gotten to the point where my iPod classic 160GB is nearly full. I'm looking to buy a new high-capacity MP3 player, and googling has led me to this device, which I hear can currently hold 256GB using a couple of micro SD cards.

My problem is that, although I can work iTunes I don't have the first clue about formatting SD cards to different formats, or media management software other than iTunes.

I guess what I'm asking is, is this product suitable for someone like me, ignorant but willing to learn? Is the instruction manual nice and idiot-proof?

And if not, does anyone know of any other high-capacity MP3 players that may be more suitable for my needs?

Thanks in advance, I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me!

Cheers!

Last couple posts were very helpful. I'd like to stress that you should format the cards using the X5 as not all formatting software is created equal and the allocation unit size may cause problems. Simply select the gear icon (settings) and scroll to Format and select the slot you want to format. This is the best and easiest way to format cards for the X5 and will pretty much alleviate all card issues if you are using a genuine name brand from a reputable dealer.

Also, from iTunes you can simply drag songs from the iTunes interface into a folder you created in the card (or elsewhere to copy to the card). It's that easy.

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #11,262 of 19,652
Sorry man, I don't have a copy of MJ's "Thrilla!"

Ist not a Elementary Album, Thank you for your Time

Using HD version of Thriller from HIStory album, connecting X5 via coax out to my DAC. Each time I play the file, the door creaks open at the beginning across both channels (i.e. basically centred) and then the footsteps move from right to left.

Thank you for testing, that sounds perfect for you

2X.....Just listened to a 24/96 rip Thriller on vinyl.  Footsteps 'walk' right to left.

Thank you, i have a CD rip, and now the same as you for testing, and i have the same Situation with that

Now i have to go to my Dealer and Test it with a other DAC

I will let you know what the Problem is, X5 or my DAC

THANK YOU ALL !!!

From Vienna Austria

Jul 23, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #11,263 of 19,652
Ist not a Elementary Album, Thank you for your Time

Thank you for testing, that sounds perfect for you
Thank you, i have a CD rip, and now the same as you for testing, and i have the same Situation with that

Now i have to go to my Dealer and Test it with a other DAC

I will let you know what the Problem is, X5 or my DAC

THANK YOU ALL !!!

From Vienna Austria

Ya know I'm bad, I'm bad,
Ya know I'm really bad!

NP,
Chris!

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:13 PM Post #11,264 of 19,652
Just bought an x5. How do you open the rubber flaps to the sd card slots? I am pushing and pulling and they don't open. I am hesitant to pull too much in case they rip off. Very strange design. Much preferred the slot on the x3. What is the point of these covers?

I used a toothpick's edge and gently pushed it outwards. not a major issue for me . it's a one time insertion thing, i'm pretty glad it's secure and solidly locked.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #11,265 of 19,652

I used a toothpick's edge and gently pushed it outwards. not a major issue for me . it's a one time insertion thing, i'm pretty glad it's secure and solidly locked.

I get my nail under the end closest to the USB port and pull it out a bit.  Then one can slide the nail a bit toward the middle of the flap and easily pull it out and swing it out of the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back