The Fiio X5 Thread
May 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #9,963 of 19,652
Hey guys this would be my first audiophile purchase. What so you guys think of this setup? Fiio X5, Fiio E12 and Beyerdynamics DT 770 250 OHM.

That setup would actually be a very good pairing...   I think you'll really like it..  the E12 will drive them fine...   and the bass boost on the E12 will push the 770 even further... 
let us know how you like the set..
To get the most out of this setup make sure you have good copies of the music you plan on listening to...   you'll enjoy it that much better...  FLAC work very well...

May 29, 2014 at 12:53 AM Post #9,964 of 19,652
  I'm awaiting the arrival of a Meenova reader... Good experience?

I ordered 2 of them & when I tried the first 1 the X5 would not show any of the folders/files when browsing.

I finally thought to try connecting the Meenova to my iMac & it would not register it at all.

I tried the 2nd Meenova & it is working fine. No problems with it connected to the iMac or X5.

If you run into any issues browsing it to the X5 try it on your PC/Mac to validate right away.

May 29, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #9,965 of 19,652
Cannikin hijacked the X3 thread for six weeks including going on and on about how unhappy he was for two weeks after he supposedly returned it for a full refund. You cannot solve his issues by discussing the X3 or the X5. You and I know they are solid devices. Cannikin is a time suck at best. Save your time, ignore him.

May 29, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #9,967 of 19,652
I ordered 2 of them & when I tried the first 1 the X5 would not show any of the folders/files when browsing.

I finally thought to try connecting the Meenova to my iMac & it would not register it at all.

I tried the 2nd Meenova & it is working fine. No problems with it connected to the iMac or X5.

If you run into any issues browsing it to the X5 try it on your PC/Mac to validate right away.

That's interesting. Fortunately, mine worked straight off and is now allowing fine music to burrow into my head!

I hope you can sort your defective one out.

May 29, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #9,968 of 19,652
i originally bought HS6 just for the sake of using the X5 fully with E12 instead of having those big bands covering some portion of the screen (I miss the looks of security guards though ^^, X5+E12 with those big bands looks like an improvised bomb XD )

Here comes the L16 interconnect, at first I'm really hesistant that cables can do a difference in sound quality but i was wrong..

Comparing the stock interconnect that E12 has heres some point i can make with my ears (Using Q701)

1. Using the L16 i can go pass the 12o dial in X5, stock sounds harsh for my ear more than 13o
2. The bass got less in L16 but got sharper
3. Mids and High are more clearer and the details oh my, even the smallest details that I cannot previously hear are there (maybe because the bass from the old cable was overpowering them?)
4. Soundstage, yes i can even say that it got better it feel less cramp for me
5. Noise, it seems that the sound are a bit cleaner.

C4 anyone?

May 29, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #9,969 of 19,652
i originally bought HS6 just for the sake of using the X5 fully with E12 instead of having those big bands covering some portion of the screen (I miss the looks of security guards though ^^, X5+E12 with those big bands looks like an improvised bomb XD )

Here comes the L16 interconnect, at first I'm really hesistant that cables can do a difference in sound quality but i was wrong..

Comparing the stock interconnect that E12 has heres some point i can make with my ears (Using Q701)

1. Using the L16 i can go pass the 12o dial in X5, stock sounds harsh for my ear more than 13o
3. Mids and High are more clearer and the details oh my, even the smallest details that I cannot previously hear are there (maybe because the bass from the old cable was overpowering them?)
4. Soundstage, yes i can even say that it got better it feels less cramp for me

C4 anyone?

Agreed. The L16 is a great cable and your impressions echo what others have said, myself included.

That's some fancy C4 you got there! :D

May 29, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #9,970 of 19,652
This article about 24/192 music makes a good read

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

May 29, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #9,971 of 19,652
Cannikin...

Drop one of these affected files onto dropbox, and give me the link to it, and I will then check on my own X5 which I know is working fine, and report back...

There were some posts (I forget if on this thread, or - on another) that showed that some HDTracks files are broken, and introduce stuttering...

...Think of it with a different analogy, is the engine at fault in your car, if you put in sub-standard fuel?

Just a different way of looking at the process of elimination.

May 29, 2014 at 7:57 AM Post #9,973 of 19,652

4. Soundstage, yes i can even say that it got better it feel less cramp for me
5. Noise, it seems that the sound are a bit cleaner.

C4 anyone?

I love your setup. I’m almost tempted to get an e12. The only thing holding me back is that I have an e17 and the quality does not improve when using with the x5. I guess I have grown accustomed to the HeadAmp Pico sound.

May 29, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #9,974 of 19,652
Hey guys this would be my first audiophile purchase. What so you guys think of this setup? Fiio X5, Fiio E12 and Beyerdynamics DT 770 250 OHM.

I have tried the setup but I think I haven't spent enough time with headphones in general to be a reference but here it goes:

I use X5 > E12-DIY > Ety HF5 to listen to music about 80% of the time. When I tried the DT 770 250 Ohm I found them to be quite warm and it took me time to get a little used to the sound signature but I could not get over the warm tone for the short period of time I tried them with the X5 > E12-DIY. I plan to use them more in the future and see if I can get used to the sound signature, it could reveal a thing or two on my preferences. From memory I found the sound to be really clean and controlled and the DT770 gave me more soundstage than the Ety HF5.

I have little experience in headphones and only own the Ety HF5, Grado SR60 and DT 770 250 Ohm. I had the Shure SE350 in the past.

I always search for as neutral a sound signature I can get. I'm among the people that tries to listen the music as it was mastered.

Sound signature preferences varying from person to another, the warmth I got from the DT 770 might be what you're searching for.

For reference: all my comparisons were free-form, so I didn't do any serious A/B comparisons with volume matching or anything like that. I just listened to tracks I know inside-out at a volume I found comfortable.

May 29, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #9,975 of 19,652
I love your setup. I’m almost tempted to get an e12. The only thing holding me back is that I have an e17 and the quality does not improve when using with the x5. I guess I have grown accustomed to the HeadAmp Pico sound.

The amp of the e12 is, IMO, a huge step up from the e17's. Thus, while the e17 is not going to improve, but in fact might worsen the x5's quality, the E12 is likely to give some slight sonic, improvement to the x5, but mainly on the power aspect.

Compared to the pico series, I would say that the fiio amps are pretty outclassed. All except the E12 DIY. IF you want something in that form factor, I believe that at the price it goes at the E12 DIY is really the best there is. Some people would say that it is on the level of the best portable amps out there. I wouldn't put it at that level. But it is indeed fantastic and definitely punches way above the price point especially if you you get the right chip combination. Even the stock supplied chips can give a fantastic sound :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back