The Fiio X5 Thread
May 29, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #9,976 of 19,652
Cannikin hijacked the X3 thread for six weeks including going on and on about how unhappy he was for two weeks after he supposedly returned it for a full refund. You cannot solve his issues by discussing the X3 or the X5. You and I know they are solid devices. Cannikin is a time suck at best. Save your time, ignore him.

Yes, please just ignore me. After all, I'm the only person who has ever had or will ever have a less than amazing experience with this device, so there must be something wrong with me, not the player, right? Clearly I'm just imagining the problems I encounter and if I just stopped believing they exist, then I will have the same flawless experience with this "solid device" like everyone else.

I've learned that it is inevitable that if you report a problem with a piece of hardware here, someone will eventually come along and negate your claims and suggest that by reporting such problems,you are being a hallucinatory malcontent. We have once again arrived at that point. :mad:

May 29, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #9,977 of 19,652
Yes, please just ignore me. After all, I'm the only person who has ever had or will ever have a less than amazing experience with this device, so there must be something wrong with me, not the player, right? Clearly I'm just imagining the problems I encounter and if I just stopped believing they exist, then I will have the same flawless experience with this "solid device" like everyone else.

I've learned that it is inevitable that if you report a problem with a piece of hardware here, someone will eventually come along and negate your claims and suggest that by reporting such problems,you are being a hallucinatory malcontent. We have once again arrived at that point.
mad.gif

I have experienced precisely the same problem as you have seen in my posts, with the onset of stuttering on files that previously played perfectly.  No-one has yet advance a plausible explanation for this problem except speculation about hardware issues. The files causing trouble for me were all HD Tracks downloads.  When I followed advise to re-format my 64 GB Adata cards, I copied the music folder onto my computer,formatted in the X5 and re-copied the folders back to the SD cards.  I also removed all the artwork and PDF files from the HD Tracks folders.  You may want to try this too.  Having done so I see that there is still album art displayed for these files so there is some embedded art in the actual music files themselves, but they are playing properly for me at the moment..

May 29, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #9,978 of 19,652

I have experienced precisely the same problem as you have seen in my posts, with the onset of stuttering on files that previously played perfectly.  No-one has yet advance a plausible explanation for this problem except speculation about hardware issues. The files causing trouble for me were all HD Tracks downloads.  When I followed advise to re-format my 64 GB Adata cards, I copied the music folder onto my computer,formatted in the X5 and re-copied the folders back to the SD cards.  I also removed all the artwork and PDF files from the HD Tracks folders.  You may want to try this too.  Having done so I see that there is still album art displayed for these files so there is some embedded art in the actual music files themselves, but they are playing properly for me at the moment..

Thank you Canaudio,
I am aware that HDtracks purchases come with PDF files in the folders, and having previously encountered problems allowing the PDFs  to load onto my AK100, I avoided loading any of these files onto my X5, assuming that was best avoided. As you've discovered, omitting the PDFs and any other artwork from the HDtracks purchases does not remove artwork (when it is properly embedded in the purchased files; it isn't always!) from the files, so its safe to omit any of the additional files that come with your purchases.

However, the careful combing out of an extraneous files has not prevented this stuttering problem from raising its ugly head.

May 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #9,979 of 19,652
  Thank you Canaudio,
I am aware that HDtracks purchases come with PDF files in the folders, and having previously encountered problems allowing the PDFs  to load onto my AK100, I avoided loading any of these files onto my X5, assuming that was best avoided. As you've discovered, omitting the PDFs and any other artwork from the HDtracks purchases does not remove artwork (when it is properly embedded in the purchased files; it isn't always!) from the files, so its safe to omit any of the additional files that come with your purchases.

However, the careful combing out of an extraneous files has not prevented this stuttering problem from raising its ugly head.

If you haven't checked the artwork embedded in the files, then you should. HDTracks often put hi-res images in their files which have given the X3 problems in the past.

May 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #9,983 of 19,652
May 29, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #9,985 of 19,652
Thank you. I haven't yet loaded that tool. Hopefully today.

When you go to download Kid3, scroll down a bit and get the right file for a Mac.

May 29, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #9,987 of 19,652
  You can take advantage of X5's dual microSD slots and have 128-256GB of storage very soon.
Full-size 128GB SDXC cards are around USD$100 now and can be used in microSD slots with the help of an adapter:   
For details and photos please see post 8204 on page 547 of this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/592076/ibasso-dx100-24-bit-for-bit-pg-1-reviews-impressions-downloads-video-new-firmware-1-4-2/8190
http://www.ameri-rack.com/APA-TFC1m.html

Personally I would prefer to have a 2.5'' SATA or 1.8'' ZIF interface to use SSD storage, but that may not happen in the near future (different hardware and firmware may be required, so I guess it is not possible for X5 at this point).

Patriot announced 1TB USB sticks. Just stick it to the back or side of the X5 and hook it up via OTG cable. Or make a smaller hyper low profile custom OTG.

May 29, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #9,988 of 19,652
Yep, that looks like the correct file

May 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #9,989 of 19,652
May 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #9,990 of 19,652
Hi X-5 Fans,

I'm the proud new owner of an X-5, and E-12 amp and a HS7 hard carrying case.  I've been a fan of Fiio products for several years with my first purchases being an E07 / E09 combination when Miccastore assisted me with sponsorship of a portable audio event for the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta.  I carried on the tradition with the purchase of an E-17 and E09K.  

Recently, Fiio stepped up again to help with another Portable Audio Jam event and I was privileged to help introduce the X-5, X-3, and E-12 to our local community of audiophiles.  Thanks to James and Sunny for their support.

Reading this forum thread has been interesting in several respects as has demonstrated just how NICE my introduction to the X-5, X-3 and E-12 has been.  I'm a JRiver user with 47,900+ files.  JRiver handles file naming and tags on an automated basis and I have only 131 problem files on my system or .0027%.  Someday, I'll get around to checking out the problems.  

My upload to two 64 Gb Transcend cards with a 30 Mbps transfer rate using all Flac and WAV files has allowed me a flawless playback experience with the X-5. Hi Res 24 96 files have all played without problems.  My only "glitch" has been one album in an APE format. Needless to say, I can heartily recommend both JRiver and Fiio for this terrific experience.

Hearing the magnificent detail of the X-5 prompted me to buy a Beyerdynamic T70P to pair with the X-5.  Due to its low impedance and analytical depth, these phones play beautifully and loudly with just the X-5.  The E-12 is icing on the cake with tremendous drive and punch. This combination is so great that I proceeded with a long suppressed desire to acquire a higher impedance open back set of phones.  So, now I have added a Sennheiser HD600 which, paired with the X-5 and E-12 running on LOW gain, is absolutely heaven to my ears.  I am so utterly proud of this system, its looks, quality, and portability.  

Based on my experience, those with known file and tag problems might well investigate JRiver as both a great player for regular and hi res files as well as an automated way to clean up file names, tags, and image files.  I'm betting you'll consider it the best $50 you ever spent.

I hope to share some impressions of the X-5 and E-12 as I will soon have a comparison to Beyer, and 2 different Matrix amps.  In the meanwhile, I'm wishing all of you a lot of enjoyment of some really great music as I will do on this fabulous new DAP.  Thanks, Fiio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back