The Fiio X5 Thread
May 28, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #9,931 of 19,652
You're going to have to be more specific than that. What hidden files?

For each file, OSX adds a hidden, small file, that contains metadata, such as the color of the file on Finder and so on. This duplicates the total number of files, that on a FAT32-formatted 64GB mSD card may be something important.

May 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #9,933 of 19,652

I'm thinking no then 
smily_headphones1.gif

Might be worth a try. For every file on the card there is one with the same name except with ._ prepended. These can definitely cause issues for DAPs. There is also the spotlight index, the trash folder and a file system events folder. The easiest way to get rid of them is using "Eject for Windows" or a similar app. You can get "Eject for Windows" here:

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/decafish/EjectForWindows/EjectForWindowsE.html

I can't remember the other app which comes from the app store. I'll try and find it again and will post it here if I succeed.

Found it: CleanMyDrive http://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive

May 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #9,934 of 19,652

When you put files onto a SD Card and eject it Mac's leave hidden files on the card, this is not a problem with the X5 but it does show up when browsing your tunes.
There is an in the App Store called CleanMyDrive and this does the cleaning for you and ejects the card.

I have been using this app ever since I have had my X5 and find it to be very good.

Here is a link to the app:

http://macpaw.com/cleanmydrive

Edit: I have tried Eject for Windows and find CleanMyDrive to be better as Eject for Windows has not been updated for a long time.

May 28, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #9,935 of 19,652
For each file, OSX adds a hidden, small file, that contains metadata, such as the color of the file on Finder and so on. This duplicates the total number of files, that on a FAT32-formatted 64GB mSD card may be something important.

Surely FiiO has stated an official opinion on this subject, and if so, an approach to dealing with it -- if required?

May 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #9,936 of 19,652
When you put files onto a SD Card and eject it Mac's leave hidden files on the card, this is not a problem with the X5 but it does show up when browsing your tunes.
There is am in the App Store called CleanMyDrive and this does the cleaning for you and ejects the card.

I have been using this app ever since I have had my X5 and find it to be very good.

Edit: I have tried Eject for Windows and find CleanMyDrive to be better as Eject for Windows has not been updated for a long time.

Thank you, I will look into this. Still, it seems unlikely that these "hidden files" would explain this new behavior emerging out of the blue.

May 28, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #9,937 of 19,652
Surely FiiO has stated an official opinion on this subject, and if so, an approach to dealing with it -- if required?

I have read a post in here somewhere where it has been acknowledge by Joe and I think its work in progress.

May 28, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #9,939 of 19,652
Thank you, I will look into this. Still, it seems unlikely that these "hidden files" would explain this new behavior emerging out of the blue.

I have not had the stuttering yet, but I always use that app then when I put the card into the X5 I immediately update the library.

My personal opinion is that this is a good procedure and seems to work okay for me.

May 28, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #9,940 of 19,652
There is an in the App Store called CleanMyDrive and this does the cleaning for you and ejects the card.

I prefer Eject for Windows as I can check the source code and verify that there really is nothing that needs updating for our purposes. That's not to say that it won't need updating soon (I expect it will) but, as a last resort, I can always update it myself. And (the real reason, I suspect) I don't like CleanMyMac 
redface.gif

But they both work well. Use whichever works for you.

May 28, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #9,941 of 19,652

I acquired CleanMyDrive, connected the X5 to my Mac, run the CMD application, instructed it to "clean upon eject" (reported there was no "junk" on the tf card) and rebuilt my library in the X5.

The problem persists: the high res albums stutter -- unlistenable.
mad.gif

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

May 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM Post #9,942 of 19,652
I prefer Eject for Windows as I can check the source code and verify that there really is nothing that needs updating for our purposes. That's not to say that it won't need updating soon (I expect it will) but, as a last resort, I can always update it myself. And (the real reason, I suspect) I don't like CleanMyMac :xf_eek: .

But they both work well. Use whichever works for you.

Another reason for me using CleanMyMac is that it does not clutter up the desktop and I use Bartender to take care of the top bar.

May 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #9,943 of 19,652

I acquired CleanMyDrive, connected the X5 to my Mac, run the CMD application, instructed it to "clean upon eject" (reported there was no "junk" on the tf card) and rebuilt my library in the X5.

mad.gif

I was having the same problem. It went away after a firmware update. Also try doing a factory reset of the device without your cards inserted.

May 28, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #9,944 of 19,652

mad.gif

Even though almost everybody suggest that you format the mSD card using the X5, I would try something different: format it using Windows or any utility that allows FAT32 on big volumes, assigning a 128 KB cluster size (if it's a 32 GB or more mSD card). The data reading rate may be the culprit here, and the cluster size is key to achieve faster reading speeds of big files.
Of course, don't forget to clean off the hidden Mac files, as each one of them will then use 128KB of space, and that can severely reduce the usable space on the card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back