The Fiio X5 Thread
Mar 28, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #5,566 of 19,652
Just chatted to B&H who got their buyer to email me later...this is their response:

"Please be advised that the FIIO PORTABLE HIGH RESOLUTION MUSIC PLAYER you have on backorder is expected to arrive at our warehouse early April. As soon as we receive it from the vendor/manufacturer we will promptly ship it to you. We apologize for this delay and for any inconvenience."

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #5,567 of 19,652
I just got off the phone with Adorama, with whom I have a pre-order.  The ETA from the buyer is third week in April -- not good.  If anyone knows a North American source that may have them sooner, I'd appreciate it if you could let me (and us) know.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:42 PM Post #5,568 of 19,652
  I wouldn't exactly be getting in line to buy the new X-5 until they actually resolve the issues with the X-3. It almost seems like reviewers are paid by FIIO to review their products. I know they would never send one to me to test because well they might not want to hear what I have to say if the unit was a flop like their X-3 model. When the new unit comes out I will be asking some serious questions about file management of large complete albums ..... Which is where the X-3 turned out to be a complete failure....

Those are some major assumptions and accusations on the dignity of review members, this community, and on the world tour.

I was the one who suggested a world tour to FiiO - which is the reason why there are so many reviews of the X5 - and keep in good touch with FiiO staff. I also review their stuff personally.

None of us get paid for this. But comming in here and to start accusing members of being paid off? That is audacious and a blow to my dignity. That I, and others, are getting accused of being paid to write a review when there is no proof in any way shape or form outside of one's imaginary.

The X5 and X3 are not perfect. To those that want a glorious user experience. Look elsewhere. FiiOs' have a lot of user quirks. But does that mean they aren't deserving of a good review? A review is a specific look at a product/thing based off that person's needs and what they feel the unit is or can do.

Why do Lambo's or high end Audi's get good reviews? I personally want a safe, affordable, and durable car. Those are the complete opposites of those, but yet they still get good reviews due to the specific user base they target. This is the same with the X5.

Those are some very serious accusations. If you can provide proof these reviewers are getting paid that's one thing, but most of these people are highly respected members of this community and would never accept a bribe like that.

If he can provide proof?

He can't. You mean if he attempts to provide proof. 

Problem is, there is none because they aren't paid. 

I just got off the phone with Adorama, with whom I have a pre-order.  The ETA from the buyer is third week in April -- not good.  If anyone knows a North American source that may have them sooner, I'd appreciate it if you could let me (and us) know.

James and Joe posted in this thread and others and posted on FiiO's facebook but here

http://www.head-fi.org/t/661411/fiio-x5-thread-info-updated-on-jan-17th-2014/5490#post_10398805

TEKFX is getting it. Should be maybe a week before they get it in stock

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #5,569 of 19,652

If he can provide proof?

He can't. You mean if he attempts to provide proof. 

Problem is, there is none because they aren't paid. 

Yes I know that. I wasn't telling him to provide proof - it's incredibly obvious these people aren't getting paid. I was saying that bringing these accusations to the table WITH proof would be one thing, but just coming out and assuming it because the x5 is getting great reviews is just ridiculous.
I was not entertaining his notion, it's completely absurd.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #5,570 of 19,652
Just to clarify, TekFX is the main FiiO distributor in US.  They will get X5 first, initial shipment expected early next week.  Then, they have to distribute it to stores selling it in US.  The initial shipment will be very limited, but afterwards there should be more.  The only thing I can tell you, those who have pre-ordered from HeadRoom are in better luck.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #5,571 of 19,652
  ...When the new unit comes out I will be asking some serious questions about file management of large complete albums ..... Which is where the X-3 turned out to be a complete failure....

Questions you have every right to ask. And you can feel free to vote with your wallet. But perhaps the reviewers don't care as much about that one factor (file management of large complete albums) as you do. Therefore that gripe isn't enough to outweigh the positives for others. Not everyone's preferences align perfectly. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #5,572 of 19,652
Atwaterkent: 26 posts
Bowie: 32,000 + posts

Who's opinion do I plan on listening too? Some [Mod Edit: please don't get abusive, for any reason] or a well-respected Head-Fi reviewer?

That being said if file management issues are really that big of issue for you, and the fixes to be addressed in upcoming firmware updates, provided by James @ FIIO himelf are not enough for you then don't buy the X5 by all means. But don't come on here and slander the reviewers that spend their personal time reviewing these products for us all to enjoy and benefit from their efforts.

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #5,574 of 19,652
  Atwaterkent: 26 posts
Bowie: 32,000 + posts

Who's opinion do I plan on listening too? Some internet troll or a well-respected Head-Fi reviewer?

To be fair, some of those 32,000+ posts are just animated meme gifs...
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

It almost seems like reviewers are paid by FIIO to review their products.

And to be fair here as well, I think atwaterkent is just finding that his impressions are incongruous with that of others, as no specific accusations have been made to any one individual.

All that having been said...

...let's keep cool all around fellas. 
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #5,576 of 19,652
Lol. Where is that panda gif from?

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #5,577 of 19,652
Lol. Where is that panda gif from?

It's from a Dutch commercial for some type of fancy butter or something. The rage panda is their mascot and works as awesome gifs for me. 

*Note that this is not an affirmation to the amount of posts I have that contain memes. 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #5,578 of 19,652
Mar 28, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #5,579 of 19,652

Questions you have every right to ask. And you can feel free to vote with your wallet. But perhaps the reviewers don't care as much about that one factor (file management of large complete albums) as you do. Therefore that gripe isn't enough to outweigh the positives for others. Not everyone's preferences align perfectly. 

I would note, too, that I organize my music collection by album and never access it by song.  From having read James' explanation of how the X5 will handle management of large complete albums, it's perfectly adequate for my purposes (and no different than how my present iPod Classic 7th gen manages albums).  I can't wait to get my hands on an X5, and have been wasting unacceptably large amounts of time on Google, in email and on the phone, trying to locate a US retailer who will have it soon. :)

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #5,580 of 19,652
  I would note, too, that I organize my music collection by album and never access it by song.  From having read James' explanation of how the X5 will handle management of large complete albums, it's perfectly adequate for my purposes (and no different than how my present iPod Classic 7th gen manages albums).  I can't wait to get my hands on an X5, and have been wasting unacceptably large amounts of time on Google, in email and on the phone, trying to locate a US retailer who will have it soon. :)

You may have missed it but TekFX which is the distributor for Micca store is getting it soon.

Micca has an Amazon salesfront named Micca Direct I believe. They are one of FiiO's primary USA retailers. 

In the past, FiiO devices show up on their own home page and a few days later are made availble through Amazon. 

I bought an E17 from them before and they let you choose some goodies on your website. 

http://www.miccastore.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back