The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #15,197 of 19,652
  i dont want to fiddle around with the x5's eq too much, can someone tell me whats what? from what ive read here is that 31 and 62 change bass.. anyway my problem is sibilance, when i listen to music with female vocals like morcheeba the sea, coldplay or the examples like people stated above my post. I got my x5 recently, im very happy with it (well i researched it for a year.. ) but didnt think id have this problem anyway long story short. TL;DR eq for sibilance?

Sibilance tends to occur between about 4 and 8 kHz (I would tend to EQ around 4-6 kHz personally).  Important to note though - that the sibilance is already in the recording, and will tend to be present or masked by the actual headphones you are using (whether or not they emphasise those frequency ranges).  The X5 is actually pretty flat in frequency response.

Anyway - this interactive frequency chart my help - http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Try playing with the 4 and 8K sliders on the X5 (mainly the 4K)

Might ultimately be easier to see if there are better recordings (different masters) of your music available, or to change your headphones .....

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #15,198 of 19,652
Quick question: Does the X5 automatically prevent overcharging of the battery? (i.e. stops charging when its fully charged, prevents battery decay)

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #15,199 of 19,652
Darn it, mine don't!!!  :mad:  Which FW are you using? :ksc75smile:

I'm using 2.40 right now.
It serves a very fine scotch, BTW.

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #15,200 of 19,652
Quick question: Does the X5 automatically prevent overcharging of the battery? (i.e. stops charging when its fully charged, prevents battery decay)

It sure does!

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #15,201 of 19,652

Paul Simon's Graceland lyrics are a punishing test for sibilance, especially the title track. Unfortunately the recording is so compressed, that sibilance will always be an issue with any equipment that is capable of extracting the detail in the recording.
I've just listened to the SACD from PC at 352.8k using Foobar => Chord Hugo => Hifiman HE-560 and the sibilance is pronounced.
Great album - poor recording.

edit: Diamonds On the Soles Of Her Shoes ought to be the worst lyrics for sibilance, but it is less prominent here.

The old CD version is much less compressed than the awful HD anniversary edition. The LP has more dynamics than any of the digital versions. Of course, then you have to deal with all of the annoying tweaky cart adjustments to deal with the sibilance.

Jan 13, 2015 at 7:45 PM Post #15,202 of 19,652
  The old CD version is much less compressed than the awful HD anniversary edition. The LP has more dynamics than any of the digital versions. Of course, then you have to deal with all of the annoying tweaky cart adjustments to deal with the sibilance.

...or better yet, join one (or more) of the numerous download sites where devoted record collectors with $20,000+ vinyl playback systems post up rips of new releases(!) and classic records in 24/96 and 24/192Hz...

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #15,203 of 19,652

very strange,

no actually the bass ports on the iem is closed, the equalizer is flat

but still the female vocals like rihanna or shania twain reach piercing levels that are unbearable to listen to,

i even tried to equalize it by lowering the mids and highs, it is better with sibilance but the iem then sounds lifeless and boring.

iam using fischer amps fa-4e and for more bass i use the JH 16 pro they are both amazing with no problems at all,

and from time to time i try the asg2 but i just can't get with it, i liked the asg2 with dx50, but not with x5.

i see you have an e12 in between, can you try x5 to ASG2 directly ?

oh yes i used it directly, seldom stack anymore. cant test it now as im now using a N6 and recently sold off my X5 hehe

Jan 13, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #15,205 of 19,652
Well compared to X5, its afew levels up. Similar UI design, the sound is....in short if u like the sound of the X5 u will like the N6 its airy-er than a AK240 on DSD i noticed. Being a bass lover, the impact is there! Tried it on my V8s the bass is controlled where as on my ASG2 its abit all over the place. Only concern is the battery life, X8 gave me on average of 8-9hrs on full flac playback but N6 in a mere 30mins of mp3/flac droped by 10% so i guesstimate about 5hrs of battery life. But the sound is well worth it, just hook up a batterypack and your are good to go :) In all....Money well spent for me :D

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #15,206 of 19,652
  HI everyone. 
I picked up the Fiio x5 about a week ago after returning the x1. As part of a general SQ upgrade I also got a new Beyer DT 990 pro 250 ohm after spending weeks doing research  and  hours auditioning  different kinds of open-back and closed headphones. I felt I needed a big change in SQ after years of frustration with my Senn HD 595s which I had found sounding dull, dry and somewhat  lacking sparkle in the highs, general dynamics and proper full bass response. THis is probly why I decided to pick up the Beyers which in most ways sounded  the opposite of the Senns.
Now to the point. While I didnt notice anything wrong with the sound coming from the Fiio  using a LO through an amp  while auditioning the Beyers in the shop , I got literally horrified when I got to do some proper listening in the quiet of my home. After listening  to the Fiio without an amp through my new DT 990s I started registering an annoyingly high degree of sibilance on many tracks. Other than that I was pretty excited about the SQ, especially the bass and highs as such. After listening to some more songs  I got so frustrated and disgusted  with the harsh ear-piercing sss´s that I in fact decided to return the Beyers.  
Now, putting the sibilance issue solely  down  to the Byers, especially after reading a whole thread  about this on here , I didnt even bother to give my old Senns a listen and set about putting the Beyers back in its retail package.
The next day I decided to listen to my Fiio , got hold of my Senns,  V-shaped the EQ , and, and to my horror and disbelief, the sibilance was there again, on the same tracks, maybe not as much, but It was definately there. Now the paradox is,  I cannot remember hearing any sibilance on the much cheaper X1.
Sorry for this longish write-up, but I am extremely frustrated and unhappy, dont know what to do. Shoud I  return the Beyers or the Fiio, or both ? Do they just need a much longer burn-in ? Might an external amp I have  just ordered  help sort this out ? I am desperate.
Anyone having similar problem? Any advice ? Any explanation ? Please, help!
confused_face(1).gif

Hikoki, I believe I know how to cure the "sibilance" problem.  I recently experienced the exact same problem with my X5.  Real bad distortion on many different musical tracks (FLACS, WAVS, MP3 etc). 

I was also burning in a new pair of JVC FX850 IEMs (which are delightful BTW) at the same time and thought these new HPs might be defective.  But the problem completely disappeared on those same tracks when the source was my laptop instead of the X5.  So the problem is definitely linked to the X5.  Tried going back to earlier firmware. . . still sounded bad (downright unlistenable).

Then I got an idea.  Why not try pressing the factory reset button.  I turned on the X5 and got a paperclip and inserted in the tiny reset hole in the top.  THAT DID THE TRICK!  I'm back in FiiO X5 sonic heaven once again!  Looks like a hard reboot is what's needed from time to time.  A real simple fix.

Let me know if this helps anyone else.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #15,207 of 19,652
Well compared to X5, its afew levels up. Similar UI design, the sound is....in short if u like the sound of the X5 u will like the N6 its airy-er than a AK240 on DSD i noticed. Being a bass lover, the impact is there! Tried it on my V8s the bass is controlled where as on my ASG2 its abit all over the place. Only concern is the battery life, X8 gave me on average of 8-9hrs on full flac playback but N6 in a mere 30mins of mp3/flac droped by 10% so i guesstimate about 5hrs of battery life. But the sound is well worth it, just hook up a batterypack and your are good to go :) In all....Money well spent for me :D

Any idea about N6 vs. iBasso DX90?

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #15,210 of 19,652
Why would you "burn the DX90 with fire from hell"?

Well i owned an X5 and a DX90. i got the X5 when it first launched loved it with my ASG2, so i got a dx90 i never liked he sound of it but i got a good deal for it so wtheck. battery life was ****ty 4hrs i gave myself 1 month of continuous listening to it, i did not firmware roll people said the sound changes. I didnt bother, the sound was...plain. music was dead no life in it. bass was lacking. so after a month bye bye got rid of it, i did burn it in for over 24hrs a day over the 1mth period still hated it. so thats my story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back