The Fiio X3 Thread.
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #13,367 of 17,484
Please help my find my perfect DAP! Let me sum up my requirments: 1) Neutral, Natural balanced sound for classical music, To use with my ATH-M40X. 2) Gapless-No gap between tracks. 3) Supports 64GB/128GB sd with formatting or without-Preferably without track number limit. 4) Max price is 350$-Preferably less. Expensive only if it really makes a difference.
5) Of course playing all kinds of loseless files

Oct 30, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #13,372 of 17,484
Got my X3 about 5 months back and been using it with a Grado SR80i since. I do like the resulting sound signature but now want to try out something more neutral. I do like the warmth in the sound of the X3 but was thinking if any external passthrough like an amp can give the sound more neutrality. I was wondering if the E12 would help flatten things out a bit.
Also, will a Vsonic GR07 be a good choice for a neutral IEM?

Oct 30, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #13,373 of 17,484
Got my X3 about 5 months back and been using it with a Grado SR80i since. I do like the resulting sound signature but now want to try out something more neutral. I do like the warmth in the sound of the X3 but was thinking if any external passthrough like an amp can give the sound more neutrality. I was wondering if the E12 would help flatten things out a bit.

Also, will a Vsonic GR07 be a good choice for a neutral IEM?

X5 = more neutral

X1 = more neutral, less expensive, but not as good as X5

E12 = amplified source signal

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #13,375 of 17,484
The X3 and E12 make for a very nice sounding, powerful combination and by adding the amp you'll get longer battery life out of your X3...at least I have. The E12 gives you the ability to drive less efficient full-size headphones, I use that combination with my everything from my Westone W40's to the HE-500's. Down the road if you decide to upgrade your DAP you'll still have a nice powerful amp on hand to go with it. Good luck. 

Oct 30, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #13,376 of 17,484
@GustavMahler I use it with classical music and i can say i like it very much, but the buggy UI and slow response, makes me think to switch back to sony walkman, esp the new NWZ-A17 that also like the x3 supports microsd up to 128GB

Oct 31, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #13,377 of 17,484
I very much like my X3+C5 combo, the Cayin is a significant upgrade over the internal amp and it's more neutral. Plus it has less hiss than E12.

+1, I find the X3 + C5 combo to be very good as well!

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #13,378 of 17,484
  Im playing files from Internal Storage... Flac files btw. I still get that crackling sound though.. I wonder what kind of headphones you are using?? Thanks...

I have had my X3 since July and never experienced crackling until this week. I hooked the X3 up to my son's car stereo through the line out and there was a ton of crackling (song independent mp3).  I've never had this happen on my car or using either of my Etymotic IEM's (mc5 or er4). There must be some combinations of devices that don't get along with the X3. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #13,380 of 17,484

I have had my X3 since July and never experienced crackling until this week. I hooked the X3 up to my son's car stereo through the line out and there was a ton of crackling (song independent mp3).  I've never had this happen on my car or using either of my Etymotic IEM's (mc5 or er4). There must be some combinations of devices that don't get along with the X3. 

Hi. Thank you for the reply. I have also noticed this issue appears only on my Bower's and Wilkins P7 and not on my Audio technica M50. It was befuddling that the $400 pair couldn't handle the X3 well and I was disappointed. I tried testing my X3 on other headphones in my local headphone distributor and so far, no headphones had displayed the same issue. Although all the tracks on the X3 are tolerable on a lower volume and bass level, I really prefer a wide thumping bass and I couldn't achieve that on the B&WP7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back