The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 30, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #11,207 of 17,484
I see in your title you have the E12/X3 combo how do you like this rig compared to the X3 stand alone. I have the same thing and IMO I think it sounds better overall together.

I only use the E12 for my DT880's so I won't have to put the X3 into high output, the E12 on 16dB gain provides ample headroom to drive the beyer's very nicely. I only connect the E12 to the Line Out of the X3 which is reference level and very clean, just plug and go as the analog volume control on the E12 is a major plus IMHO.

Just don't forget and plug in other headphones when it's on 16dB gain...
eek.gif

For all my other cans I just use the X3's headphone out and a little bass or treble depending on the headphone's I have connected at the time. Hopefully this sound signature stays with the future firmware upgrades as I like it.

I had at one point considered selling the E12 but I find that I like the uncolored neutral output it provides. It's a keeper for sure!
beerchug.gif

Jun 30, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #11,208 of 17,484
I only use the E12 for my DT880's so I won't have to put the X3 into high output, the E12 on 16dB gain provides ample headroom to drive the beyer's very nicely. I only connect the E12 to the Line Out of the X3 which is reference level and very clean, just plug and go as the analog volume control on the E12 is a major plus IMHO.

Just don't forget and plug in other headphones when it's on 16dB gain... :eek:

For all my other cans I just use the X3's headphone out and a little bass or treble depending on the headphone's I have connected at the time. Hopefully this sound signature stays with the future firmware upgrades as I like it.

I had at one point considered selling the E12 but I find that I like the uncolored neutral output it provides. It's a keeper for sure!
:beerchug:

I actually sold both my X3 and E12 to two different people and ended up buying them back 6 months later. This time I will keep them as I do really like the sound. Right now my DX50 is in china getting fixed so its nice to have a back up hi-res player besides my ipods.

Jul 1, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #11,209 of 17,484
What makes you think it is fake? You can go to Fiios website and check authinticity if you have the box. Otherwise to answer your other questions someone would have to knowingly have a fake X3 to test that and I'm sure they would not post that on the internet because that would be against the law!

Seems that my question Was not precise: did anybody hold in hands fake X3? Are they exist? Like:

or:

or:

I haven't the retail X3 box with EAN code - yet. My conclusion is: there are no fake X3 - yet. Ordered. Thanks.

Jul 1, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #11,210 of 17,484
The one thing I don't like about FW 3.0 is the inability to shuffle all songs by an artist.  The only option is to choose an album, not all songs by an artist. The only way I have found to do this successfully is to remove all songs from album folders and load them into one artist folder.  Am I missing something, or is this actually the way it must be with the new FW?

Jul 1, 2014 at 6:12 AM Post #11,211 of 17,484
  The one thing I don't like about FW 3.0 is the inability to shuffle all songs by an artist.  The only option is to choose an album, not all songs by an artist. The only way I have found to do this successfully is to remove all songs from album folders and load them into one artist folder.  Am I missing something, or is this actually the way it must be with the new FW?

That's an issue that I've brought up, and it's actually on the Bugzilla forum. I'm not sure if they'll do something about it, though.

Jul 1, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #11,212 of 17,484
There should be support for showing all songs by an artist as well as individual albums in an upcoming firmware. In the meantime here's a beta firmware for you guys to play with:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725256/fiio-x3-beta-firmware-3-00ex-available-for-download-added-beta-exfat-support

It adds ExFAT support to the existing 3.0 firmware.

(Please discuss problems with the beta firmware in its dedicated thread :smile: )

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jul 1, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #11,213 of 17,484
There should be support for showing all songs by an artist as well as individual albums in an upcoming firmware. In the meantime here's a beta firmware for you guys to play with:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/725256/fiio-x3-beta-firmware-3-00ex-available-for-download-added-beta-exfat-support

It adds ExFAT support to the existing 3.0 firmware.

(Please discuss problems with the beta firmware in its dedicated thread :smile: )

Will there be any sound sig differences with the new fw?

Jul 2, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #11,215 of 17,484
On the Internal Storage of the X3 (FW 3.0) I just noticed that among the full albums I now have 2 separate files, named FOUND.000 and FOUND.001. 

I only have complete albums that are all tagged in their named folders on the X3 (Internal memory and 64GB card) so I'm wondering what these two files are...part of the flashed firmware or something that I can delete? 
Its not a big deal, the X3 works just fine for me, only curious as to what they are. I haven't played anything off the 8GB of Internal Storage lately so I'm not sure how long they've been there, but I didn't see them a couple weeks ago (I may have simply missed them). 

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 at 2:50 AM Post #11,216 of 17,484
  On the Internal Storage of the X3 (FW 3.0) I just noticed that among the full albums I now have 2 separate files, named FOUND.000 and FOUND.001. 

I only have complete albums that are all tagged in their named folders on the X3 (Internal memory and 64GB card) so I'm wondering what these two files are...part of the flashed firmware or something that I can delete? 
Its not a big deal, the X3 works just fine for me, only curious as to what they are. I haven't played anything off the 8GB of Internal Storage lately so I'm not sure how long they've been there, but I didn't see them a couple weeks ago (I may have simply missed them). 

Thanks!

It's a long time since I last used Windows but, IIRC, these are files created when you do a chkdsk (scan and fix errors). If so, then these are probably old files which got lost and have now been "FOUND". As such, the X3 won't be using them, but they may be long lost mp3s you thought had disappeared for ever...
Worth getting a second opinion, though.

Jul 2, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #11,217 of 17,484
  It's a long time since I last used Windows but, IIRC, these are files created when you do a chkdsk (scan and fix errors). If so, then these are probably old files which got lost and have now been "FOUND". As such, the X3 won't be using them, but they may be long lost mp3s you thought had disappeared for ever...
Worth getting a second opinion, though.

Agreed.
The X3 internal memory has some filesystem errors/problems straight from factory, that's why so many people on Windows get a scan and fix errors message, when connecting the X3 to a PC.
After scanning and fixing (chkdsk), lost chains are converted to these files. Delete them and forget about it,

Jul 2, 2014 at 5:34 AM Post #11,218 of 17,484
I'm considering buying an X3 mainly to use as a DAC to listen to Mp3's off my mac, but also to store the vinyl I'm ripping to WAV files to listen to on the move. My dilemma is I've recently bought a DacMagic XS which is sounding better by the day and I have to get rid of it to buy the X3 and I'm loathed to take a step back in SQ. 

Does anyone here have both that give me an idea of the sound of the X3 as a DAC from a computer relative to a Dacmagic XS doing the same? 

cheers

Jul 2, 2014 at 7:50 AM Post #11,219 of 17,484
As one who listens to classical almost exclusively, i must say i agree that the sound feels a bit gutted with 3.0. There are things that i like better than 2.14b (i don't think i have the vocabulary to articulate it, but the sound just feels more balanced and less bright/harsh from 2.14b). 

Perfection for me would be to combine the best qualities of those two firmwares. Keep the improvements of 3.0 while pushing things a bit forward, so that the sound matches what we are used to with basically 99% of players out there. Hell, i was listening to some rock today and even that feels somewhat neutered. Or rather, it is the more forward instruments that feel neutered, like vocals, or guitars during a solo. Everything else (bass and drums) actually feels more forward. 

BTW, since changes in sound quality seem to be so drastic between firmwares, why not include a variety of them as an option in the settings?  

Jul 2, 2014 at 8:19 AM Post #11,220 of 17,484
  As one who listens to classical almost exclusively, i must say i agree that the sound feels a bit gutted with 3.0. There are things that i like better than 2.14b (i don't think i have the vocabulary to articulate it, but the sound just feels more balanced and less bright/harsh from 2.14b). 

Perfection for me would be to combine the best qualities of two those firmwares. Keep the improvements of 3.0 while pushing things a bit forward, so that the sound matches what we are used to with basically 99% of players out there. Hell, i was listening to some rock today and even that feels somewhat neutered. Or rather, it is the more forward instruments that feel neutered, like vocals, or guitars during a solo. Everything else (bass and drums) actually feels more forward. 

BTW, since changes in sound quality seem to be so drastic between firmwares, why not include a variety of them as an option in the settings?  

I've posted a similar opinion a few times. Classical music and 2.14b seem made for each other. Both orchestral and chamber. I've installed 3.0 at least three times, thinking that I just didn't give it enough time to get used to. But I always end up going back to 2.14b. I'll be trying the new ExFAT 3.0 tonight, tho it sounds like the only change is allowing ExFAT formatting.  If there is some way to get the 2.14b sound in future FWs, I'd be very happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back