The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jul 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #11,237 of 17,484
BTW, i'm starting to think that no matter the firmware, the x3 is simply unable to drive my HD 600 to the fullest. What would be a good amp to pair with this device? I'm thinking more of a desktop amp to get more juice for the buck but i guess a portable amp might be fine as well. 

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #11,238 of 17,484
A FiiO E12 is exactly what you need. It drives my DT880's perfectly as a portable amp.

I use a Little Dot MK IV as the desktop.

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #11,239 of 17,484
BTW, i'm starting to think that no matter the firmware, the x3 is simply unable to drive my HD 600 to the fullest. What would be a good amp to pair with this device? I'm thinking more of a desktop amp to get more juice for the buck but i guess a portable amp might be fine as well. 

I think some cans just won't pair well with the X3. I have the same issue with my Mad Dogs. They simply don't sound as good, as full with my X3. Currently, I'm loving the X3 / HF300 pairing.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #11,240 of 17,484
Talk about timing I was going to post a question bout cans... Any ways there's been quite a bit of talk bout iems that pair well with the x3, but I was wondering what folk would recommend for cans. I have ye olde sr125 (not even an i) right now, and am pretty happy(but for the comfort), but since I've bought a few iems, maybe it's time for an upgrade for the home front. In the past I've had a couple of pairs of Senns (520, and 590) and did like them, but since I've been down that road already I'm looking else where. Read good things about the dt880, and a review of an Ultrasone (can't remember which model) in Stereophile a while back which had me intrigued. Would like something that can run sans amp for the moment (but I might get one in the future). I guess the biggest prob I'd have to deal with is that my taste in music runs a huge gamut (basically anything that doesn't get played on commercial radio - tho lately really digging some of the recommendations over on Headphone Commute and Stonerobixxx). I also live in the middle of nowhere so auditioning isn't possible, & having a list to run down when I get back to civilization would be a huge bonus.
Cheers.

Jul 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #11,242 of 17,484
Thanks for the info indieke....I was not even aware that Verbatim produce mini SD cards...I'll definitely look out for one.,,,much appreciated for the useful info.

I've had my Sandisk 128GB for about a month now and have had no issues as well. I actually have spare room now, but it's getting used up quick. :D

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #11,243 of 17,484
Talk about timing I was going to post a question bout cans... Any ways there's been quite a bit of talk bout iems that pair well with the x3, but I was wondering what folk would recommend for cans. I have ye olde sr125 (not even an i) right now, and am pretty happy(but for the comfort), but since I've bought a few iems, maybe it's time for an upgrade for the home front. In the past I've had a couple of pairs of Senns (520, and 590) and did like them, but since I've been down that road already I'm looking else where. Read good things about the dt880, and a review of an Ultrasone (can't remember which model) in Stereophile a while back which had me intrigued. Would like something that can run sans amp for the moment (but I might get one in the future). I guess the biggest prob I'd have to deal with is that my taste in music runs a huge gamut (basically anything that doesn't get played on commercial radio - tho lately really digging some of the recommendations over on Headphone Commute and Stonerobixxx). I also live in the middle of nowhere so auditioning isn't possible, & having a list to run down when I get back to civilization would be a huge bonus.
Cheers.

Headphone Commute, eh...

I like my Somic EFI-82 MT for a good, cheap beater pair of HP. Sound much better than the price suggests. Good all-arounder.

For higher-end listening, I use HiFiMan HE400. These are being replaced by the HE400i, which are more expensive but are lighter and look like they've got a much more ergonomic headband. HE400 are on sale accordingly. They'd be a good choice for your listening preferences, as well.

So, what end of the HC spectrum do you prefer - abstract electronic, modern/minimalist classical, noise? I'm really digging Pan Sonic's Oksastus - brutally beautiful :).

Jul 4, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #11,244 of 17,484

You would be correct. When I had the X3 I used the e12 to drive my LCD-2 on high gain. Worked very well and sounded fantastic and you simply can't beat the price. The e12 is very neutral and the bass boost is very good as well if you want more thump.

Now I use the X5/e12 combo or Oppo HA-1 to my LCD-XC. The e12 is a very good portable amp and I don't miss my desktop amp when all I have is the e12.

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #11,245 of 17,484
If you want to change the sound signature I would try this:
  • Unpack the firmware (http://youtu.be/qOXTJicNoO4 has a Dropbox link with the tools to do it).
  • Go to the "system_attribute" folder.
  • Inside there is the file "default.ini".
  • In that file you will find:

"...
<eq_flag>1</eq_flag>//0 开 1 关
<eq_style>0</eq_style>//0-普通
<eq_adjust_type>0</eq_adjust_type>//0 开 1 关
<power_save_flag>1</power_save_flag>//0 关 1 开
<sleep_shutdown_flag>1</sleep_shutdown_flag>//0 关 1 开
<usb_mode_type>1</usb_mode_type>              //0 DAC 1 USB
<reboot_animation_flag>1</reboot_animation_flag> //0 关 1 开
<eq_db_hz_31>0.0</eq_db_hz_31>
<eq_db_hz_62>0.0</eq_db_hz_62>
<eq_db_hz_125>0.0</eq_db_hz_125>
<eq_db_hz_250>0.0</eq_db_hz_250>
<eq_db_hz_500>0.0</eq_db_hz_500>
<eq_db_hz_1k>0.0</eq_db_hz_1k>
<eq_db_hz_2k>0.0</eq_db_hz_2k>
<eq_db_hz_4k>0.0</eq_db_hz_4k>
<eq_db_hz_8k>0.0</eq_db_hz_8k>
<eq_db_hz_16k>0.0</eq_db_hz_16k>

..."

Google translate says: 开 = ON and 关 = OFF.

I did not tried this (I'm fine with the sound as it is) but playing with that settings could be interesting.
No idea if it could be somehow dangerous neither.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #11,246 of 17,484
This is from the EQ which was present in FW 2.14b. But the EQ gets removed with the final FW 3.0, because it wasn't so great. It should be in future releases again included (If I remember correct you will find from JamesFiiO an answer in the FW 3.0 thread).

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #11,247 of 17,484
The EQ is disabled in the firmware so none of those options do anything, they are just placeholders for if and when EQ might get enabled.

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #11,249 of 17,484
You would be correct. When I had the X3 I used the e12 to drive my LCD-2 on high gain. Worked very well and sounded fantastic and you simply can't beat the price. The e12 is very neutral and the bass boost is very good as well if you want more thump.

Now I use the X5/e12 combo or Oppo HA-1 to my LCD-XC. The e12 is a very good portable amp and I don't miss my desktop amp when all I have is the e12.

Is the x5 more powerful than the x3?

It really feels i just need a little bit more power, something to the make the frequencies sound more alive and juicy; Volume wise the x3 is more than enough so that's not a problem. I have a friend who wants an x3, i was thinking of giving him mine and use the money for an e12 to upgrade to an x5 instead. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back