The Fiio X3 Thread.
Jun 25, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2,117 of 17,484
Quote:
Brandon Grotesque would be an excellent legible sans serif typeface for the x3, this looks so much cleaner and more professional...

A black background and white text will save battery life compared to your example here. 

Jun 25, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #2,118 of 17,484
A black background and white text will save battery life compared to your example here. 

True, but under the optimal situation, the user would be able to upload there own preferred font onto the x3, choose their preferred background image/color, etc. I was just screwing around, just to see how much better the UI could look with just some color/type/spacing changes. Proxima nova is great, truly versatile in almost any application. It's usable as a heading font and excellent for body text too.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #2,119 of 17,484
True, but under the optimal situation, the user would be able to upload there own preferred font onto the x3, choose their preferred background image/color, etc. I was just screwing around, just to see how much better the UI could look with just some color/type/spacing changes. Proxima nova is great, truly versatile in almost any application. It's usable as a heading font and excellent for body text too.

I hope it'll become possible to change the GUI imagery/colours etcetera in the future, however, it is of course not the most important thing about this (or any) DAP.

Fiio's last GUI design looks good to me.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:40 AM Post #2,120 of 17,484
I hope it'll become possible to change the GUI imagery/colours etcetera in the future, however, it is of course not the most important thing about this (or any) DAP.

Fiio's last GUI design looks good to me.

Sound is of course the most important, and this UI definitely looks easy and intuitive enough to use, but If James really wants to get this product into the mainstream or more so than other "audiophile" DAPs, he's going to have to take great care with design too, software and hardware.

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #2,121 of 17,484
Sound is of course the most important, and this UI definitely looks easy and intuitive enough to use, but If James really wants to get this product into the mainstream or more so than other "audiophile" DAPs, he's going to have to take great care with design too, software and hardware.

When they're finally seeing an european release, i'll see if i can go into the system and play with it for a bit :wink:

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #2,122 of 17,484
James, today I was the lucky winner FiiO X3! Thank your company for this player! There are no words to describe my delight! 
James, I noticed a problem in the firmware FW1.0. The player is not entirely correct play ALL OGG-files. The fact is that when you play OGG-file in the left channel headphone noise is also present, as the sound of running water. When playing other types of files (FLAC, M4A) that there is no noise. Will the tire of a defect in the firmware FW1.1? 
I also want to ask you if you need help in translating UI into Russian?

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #2,123 of 17,484
Quote:
James, today I was the lucky winner FiiO X3! Thank your company for this player! There are no words to describe my delight! 
James, I noticed a problem in the firmware FW1.0. The player is not entirely correct play ALL OGG-files. The fact is that when you play OGG-file in the left channel headphone noise is also present, as the sound of running water. When playing other types of files (FLAC, M4A) that there is no noise. Will the tire of a defect in the firmware FW1.1? 
I also want to ask you if you need help in translating UI into Russian?

Yes, the new firmware will fix the problem. and about the other languages, will support more in the future but we need time and we have to change some resource to the development of X3 now.

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jun 25, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #2,125 of 17,484
Quote:

I wonder why is Vitas so popular in China. 
confused.gif
 I even remember seeing him in a movie with Zhao Wei 
rolleyes.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 6:45 AM Post #2,127 of 17,484
Just updated to the beta firmware --- much better... a few other bugs popped up in lieu of the other ones, but these will surely be corrected afterward.

I apologize for the choice of music; it was the first song I could find that had album art embedded.

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:02 AM Post #2,128 of 17,484
Quote:
Just updated to the beta firmware --- much better... a few other bugs popped up in lieu of the other ones, but these will surely be corrected afterward.

I apologize for the choice of music; it was the first song I could find that had album art embedded.

DHL has kept the X3 from me for 1.5 days now just sitting at my capital state city -_- So let's sing you the song

They threw a DAP in the post,

Don't ask me, I'll never tell

I looked to you as it stopped,

And now you're in my way

I'd trade my soul for a X3,

Pennies and dimes for a HS2

I wasn't looking for this,

But now you're in my way

Your shipment screen was holdin',

Ripped tires, engine was showin'

Hot oil, wind was blowin'

Where do you think you're going, DHL?

Hey, I just met you, And this is crazy,

But here's my tracking number,

So deliver it to me, maybe!

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #2,129 of 17,484
Quote:
I wonder why is Vitas so popular in China. 
confused.gif
 I even remember seeing him in a movie with Zhao Wei 
rolleyes.gif

He is Russian, he is a male that can sing UBER high notes, he is a novelty that viewers love to see/hear. Chinese people love singers who don't sing as you would expect. 

And he's got some eccentric Russian dance moves that the woman love to see

Jun 25, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #2,130 of 17,484
Quote:
Got the X3 in today. So far, no complaints about the sound. It's smooth and enjoyable. The EQ works well. Very slightly darker than the E17, IIRC, but take that with a grain of salt, as I haven't heard the E17 in months. People should have zero problems with the SQ, honestly, and especially at this price point. I'd say the AK100 is ever so slightly more delicate and refined-sounding (all things being equal, and OI not being a significant factor, with an 150 ohm earphone), but that's it. Definitely not a $400 price gap.

I'm very picky about UI and interface, though, so I have a few things to address:
  1. The menu system, while not horrid, is not idiot-proof. Consumer level products like <$300 DAPs should have idiot-proof UIs. I realize that we "shouldn't" expect amazing UIs considering all this quality hardware put inside, but if anything, the X3 should be the platform by which FiiO hones its UI, as it is the player that has the mainstream (non-head-fi) appeal, over something like the X5, which would be pricier and have limited appeal restricted to enthusiasts.
  • The way the UI advances deeper into a menu is kind of clunky, and it's not consistent across each selection item.
  • The choices of background don't lend themselves well to readability. There should be a plain black option to contrast with the white text.
  • The button layout, while it looks fine in pictures, doesn't lend itself to speedy use in real life. I can't navigate through menus quickly using one hand. Often, I have to use both hands, which is not ideal. I would've liked to see external volume buttons and a floating window for volume level indication.
  1. Text has no anti-aliasing or subpixel rendering, which should be easily implementable considering the core dedicated to graphics processing. Basically, the text doesn't look great, and it starts with the ugly-ish typeface chosen for the interface. The screen doesn't have great resolution, but that doesn't mean the text can't look good.
  2. Even with FW 1.0, I've already had a few system hangups. It went on strike and refused to play music a few times. This is with the internal memory (didn't grab an SD card yet).

If it were up to me, for the second generation, I'd up the price of the X3 to $299 or so and use the hike in MSRP to greatly improve the UI and incrementally improve the build quality (which is not bad, but can be better). The hardware is fine. It really needs no changes.

(Sorry for the crap cellphone pictures. Didn't have my DSLR handy.)​
 ​

Tomscy2000

Nice review now I am partially sold to this device, now just one question, how can a user use its full power of 24 bit 96khz playing DAC power?
Can it be set manually on the settings or it will just automatically detect the sonic properties of the audio file?
before I pull the trigger on this..oh by the way is this somewhat better DAP than the ipod 7th gen 160GB?

Regards,

Jes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back