The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Dec 23, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #9,376 of 9,972
Thank you, I'm looking forward to get my X3ii immediately. This will be my first hi-res audio device. And all the reviews were PHENOMENAL, not saw a single negative thing about the audio quality. 

Yup not really anything negative, word of caution though if you are going to get a 128gb sd card make sure its kingston and sandisk. I bought some cheaper brands (siliconpower) and they were glitching and skipping. Somehow the files went corrupt, as when i tried to transfer them to my new sandisk 128gb cards i had the same issue. I was forced to go back to my hard drive and manually copy everything over again. Everything is glitch free now and sounds spectacular. I do have some 64gb ADATA cards that work well so perhaps the fiio lineup is just picky with the 128gb cards. I have the objective 2 amp which works well with the x3ii and is sort of portable if you get the battery version. You could also get a portable amp like the A5, that way you get the best of both worlds unless you have some really hard drive cans. The A5 should be suitable for the likes of Senn HD600 and 650.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #9,377 of 9,972
Yup not really anything negative, word of caution though if you are going to get a 128gb sd card make sure its kingston and sandisk. I bought some cheaper brands (siliconpower) and they were glitching and skipping. Somehow the files went corrupt, as when i tried to transfer them to my new sandisk 128gb cards i had the same issue. I was forced to go back to my hard drive and manually copy everything over again. Everything is glitch free now and sounds spectacular. I do have some 64gb ADATA cards that work well so perhaps the fiio lineup is just picky with the 128gb cards. I have the objective 2 amp which works well with the x3ii and is sort of portable if you get the battery version. You could also get a portable amp like the A5, that way you get the best of both worlds unless you have some really hard drive cans. The A5 should be suitable for the likes of Senn HD600 and 650.

Thank you for the caution trivium, but I've never used a brand other than Sandisk when it comes to Micro SD. I've bought a 64 GB Sandisk. I won't have those power hungry cans near future so I think external amp is not essential for now. Wondering A5 though.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #9,378 of 9,972
Thank you for the caution trivium, but I've never used a brand other than Sandisk when it comes to Micro SD. I've bought a 64 GB Sandisk. I won't have those power hungry cans near future so I think external amp is not essential for now. Wondering A5 though.

Its very tough to tell the difference in my opinion when stacking with an amp when just using the fiio x3ii and easy to drive headphones. The most noteable difference is a change in sound signature such as more bass or more nuetral that sort of thing. I have never compared my O2 amp directly out of the x3ii vs just the x3ii with an AB switcher, its on my list as ive only owned the x3ii for a month or two. If you dont need more power since the x3ii is pretty powerful already you might be disapointed in purchsing the a5 and trying to find a difference in sound quality. That said ive never heard the a5, im still waiting for someone else to purchase one and stack it wit hthe x3ii posting impressions. Its also been said in some reviews that the dac in the x3ii is higher quality than the built in amp which means it would benefit from an external amp, still need to find out for myself though. Thinking of buying an AB switch to use with the objective 2.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #9,379 of 9,972
Its very tough to tell the difference in my opinion when stacking with an amp when just using the fiio x3ii and easy to drive headphones. The most noteable difference is a change in sound signature such as more bass or more nuetral that sort of thing. I have never compared my O2 amp directly out of the x3ii vs just the x3ii with an AB switcher, its on my list as ive only owned the x3ii for a month or two. If you dont need more power since the x3ii is pretty powerful already you might be disapointed in purchsing the a5 and trying to find a difference in sound quality. That said ive never heard the a5, im still waiting for someone else to purchase one and stack it wit hthe x3ii posting impressions. Its also been said in some reviews that the dac in the x3ii is higher quality than the built in amp which means it would benefit from an external amp, still need to find out for myself though. Thinking of buying an AB switch to use with the objective 2.

I see. Actually my budget does not let me to buy A5 these days and my most power hungry headphone will be AKG K612, most likely. And X3ii is really powerful enough to drive them to decent levels, that's what people said.

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #9,381 of 9,972
Yup so for the time being enjoy your new x3ii when it does finally arrive. It will be your new best friend
wink.gif

I hope so, trivium 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious, are you a Trivium fan?

Dec 23, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #9,382 of 9,972
  I hope so, trivium 
smily_headphones1.gif

Just curious, are you a Trivium fan?

Yes but im very open minded when it comes to music. I enjoy classical, new age, Jazz aswell as heavy metal and what not just dont care for Rap or mainstream hip hop/ top 40. I know...i have obscure taste's from one end of the spectrum to the other. PM me if you are interested as i can share some amazon links to artist's similar to trivium if you are into that genre. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #9,383 of 9,972
  Yes but im very open minded when it comes to music. I enjoy classical, new age, Jazz aswell as heavy metal and what not just dont care for Rap or mainstream hip hop/ top 40. I know...i have obscure taste's from one end of the spectrum to the other. PM me if you are interested as i can share some amazon links to artist's similar to trivium if you are into that genre. 

I see. I'm also listening genres from hard rock to extreme death metal but generally I'm a thrash-progressive metal lover. I like Trivium, sometimes listening it. I went to their concert in 2012, mainly for Megadeth but Trivium was just before them. They were really energetic and accurate.

Dec 23, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #9,384 of 9,972
  I see. I'm also listening genres from hard rock to extreme death metal but generally I'm a thrash-progressive metal lover. I like Trivium, sometimes listening it. I went to their concert in 2012, mainly for Megadeth but Trivium was just before them. They were really energetic and accurate.

Yup good stuff. You should check out trivium's new album, not as hard as their older stuff and not as much cookie monster, but still an engaging album. 

Dec 24, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #9,386 of 9,972
Forget the X5ii. Go for the X5iii when it is released. It was just announced on the 17th of December. There is a thread for it.

Given that the new X1 was a terrible, unfinished product upon release, and that problems are still being fixed via FW updates, buying a brand new Fiio DAP when first released is probably not a great idea

Dec 24, 2016 at 5:41 PM Post #9,388 of 9,972
Well, I still love FIIO as a brand.  But I think Shanling has quite a bit to offer at similar price points to FIIO, and higher up Cayin is a player.  I am thinking that the value machine of the year may be the Shanling M1.  Really small, good features, well priced.

I do have high hopes for the X5III.  That looks to be a very fine unit with great features.

Still loving my X3II, it just has some company in the goodie bag.

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9,389 of 9,972
Well, I still love FIIO as a brand.  But I think Shanling has quite a bit to offer at similar price points to FIIO, and higher up Cayin is a player.  I am thinking that the value machine of the year may be the Shanling M1.  Really small, good features, well priced.

I do have high hopes for the X5III.  That looks to be a very fine unit with great features.

Still loving my X3II, it just has some company in the goodie bag.

The Cayin i5 is a wonderful piece. I was lucky enough to have it for 10 days. My x3ii did compare quite well, but without the bells and whistles. I still really, really like it. I AM looking forward to the x5iii as a comparison. As a dedicated DAP, the x3ii holds up well to most others, and gives me what I need; music first, frills WAY behind...

Now, I just need to make time to "correct" all of my files...as in GET THEM IN PROPER ORDER!:grimacing:

Dec 25, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #9,390 of 9,972
The Cayin i5 is a wonderful piece. I was lucky enough to have it for 10 days. My x3ii did compare quite well, but without the bells and whistles. I still really, really like it. I AM looking forward to the x5iii as a comparison. As a dedicated DAP, the x3ii holds up well to most others, and gives me what I need; music first, frills WAY behind...

Now, I just need to make time to "correct" all of my files...as in GET THEM IN PROPER ORDER!:grimacing:

A quick question, what do you think about Fiio EM-3? It's on shipping with X3ii. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back