The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Dec 23, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #9,361 of 9,972
Forget the output voltage as FiiO doesn't list the spec for the built in amp (headphone output). They list the power in mW (240mW@16 Ohm, 200mW@32 Ohm, 24mW@300 Ohm). The X3ii is pretty powerful for most headphones. The specs for the X3ii list 16-150 Ohm impedance headphones as suitable. Others have used higher impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD600 without any issues for their tastes.

What is 7.2 Vp-p on Fiio website X3ii specification sheet under the headphone output title then? Or 2.54 Vrms, same.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #9,362 of 9,972
Forget the output voltage as FiiO doesn't list the spec for the built in amp (headphone output). They list the power in mW (240mW@16 Ohm, 200mW@32 Ohm, 24mW@300 Ohm). The X3ii is pretty powerful for most headphones. The specs for the X3ii list 16-150 Ohm impedance headphones as suitable. Others have used higher impedance headphones like the Sennheiser HD600 without any issues for their tastes. There is also the sensitivity spec of the headphone that plays a large part in drive ability.

Again, which headphone were you thinking of pairing with the X3ii? You'll get a pretty quick answer as to the X3ii's capability to drive it.

I've already written that. Shure SRH840 and an AKG headphone. But not sure on AKG, it would be K601, K612 or K702.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #9,363 of 9,972
What is 7.2 Vp-p on Fiio website X3ii specification sheet under the headphone output title then? Or 2.54 Vrms, same.

7.2Vp-p is Voltage peak to peak. Vrms is Volts root mean squared. They are different measurements. I'm not sure where you got 2.54Vrms from as they list 1.45Vrms for the line-out, not for the headphone out.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #9,364 of 9,972
7.2Vp-p is Voltage peak to peak. Vrms is Volts root mean squared. They are different measurements. I'm not sure where you got 2.54Vrms from as they list 1.45Vrms for the line-out, not for the headphone out.

You said FiiO doesn't list the spec for the built in amp (headphone output) and on Fiio website it says 7.2 Vp-p under the haedphone out title. Yes, it's peak to peak but as I know, Vrms is important for the voltage. And it's (Vp-p / 2) * 0.707, which is 2.54 Vrms for 7.2 Vp-p. On the same page, line out is 1.45 Vrms as you write. You can clarify me if I'm wrong though.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39/parameters

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #9,365 of 9,972
I've already written that. Shure SRH840 and an AKG headphone. But not sure on AKG, it would be K601, K612 or K702.

I missed your edit. All of these headphones will easily be driven by the X3ii as their impedance is within the rated X3ii spec and they all have over 100dB SPL sensitivity. You will have no problems with the power output from the X3ii. The next (more difficult) question is, which headphone would suit your tastes best?

I wish you luck.

You said FiiO doesn't list the spec for the built in amp (headphone output) and on Fiio website it says 7.2 Vp-p under the haedphone out title. Yes, it's peak to peak but as I know, Vrms is important for the voltage. And it's (Vp-p / 2) * 0.707, which is 2.54 Vrms for 7.2 Vp-p. On the same page, line out is 1.45 Vrms as you write. You can clarify me if I'm wrong though.

http://www.fiio.net/en/products/39/parameters

You are correct, but the Vp-p is not the full story which is why I quoted the mW, as FiiO replied to you earlier.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #9,366 of 9,972
I missed your edit. All of these headphones will easily be driven by the X3ii as their impedance is within the rated X3ii spec and they all have over 100dB SPL sensitivity. You will have no problems with the power output from the X3ii. The next (more difficult) question is, which headphone would suit your tastes best?

I wish you luck.
You are correct, but the Vp-p is not the full story which is why I quoted the mW, as FiiO replied to you earlier.

Actually I don't have a chance to try that headphones before buying since they are not sale on my country at all. So I'm reading dozens of reviews and -according to the impressions and reviews- Shure SRH840 is phenomenal (for the price) for my tastes. I'm listening metal music if you're curious though. AKG is more doubtful so I might buy a Grado instead of AKG. But build quality of Grados is giving me worries, I will use my open-back only at home though To sum up, I will buy a closed back and an open back. 

Certainly, mW is giving us the necessary information about driving ability of source. My only point was Should I look for the headphone output voltage even if I plug my X3ii to my computer as USB DAC because my headphones will be plugged to headphone output again. And I think yes. But in this case, what is line output voltage for since I'm plugging to headphone output?

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #9,367 of 9,972
Actually I don't have a chance to try that headphones before buying since they are not sale on my country at all. So I'm reading dozens of reviews and -according to the impressions and reviews- Shure SRH840 is phenomenal (for the price) for my tastes. I'm listening metal music if you're curious though. AKG is more doubtful so I might buy a Grado instead of AKG. But build quality of Grados is giving me worries, I will use my open-back only at home though To sum up, I will buy a closed back and an open back. 

Certainly, mW is giving us the necessary information about driving ability of source. My only point was Should I look for the headphone output voltage even if I plug my X3ii to my computer as USB DAC because my headphones will be plugged to headphone output again. And I think yes. But in this case, what is line output voltage for since I'm plugging to headphone output?

Please forget line-out. I only mentioned it because you mentioned the Voltage and the line-out from your computer and I wanted to clarify that the headphone out of the X3ii is what you should use to connect headphones. Line-out will be ignored when using the headphone out and should only be used to drive an external amp. It's just another option to use the X3ii. It was a matter of trying to get things straight.

:)

When the X3ii is in USB DAC mode think of it like this. The computer harddrive replaces the mSD card and the file decoding is done on the computer software instead of the X3ii software. That's it. You aren't degrading the sound or doubling up on amplification. You are replacing one source for your files with another, nothing more. Everything else works like a standalone player in DAC mode (only the source is replaced).

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #9,368 of 9,972
Please forget line-out. I only mentioned it because you mentioned the Voltage and the line-out from your computer and I wanted to clarify that the headphone out is what you should use. It was a matter of trying to get things straight.

smily_headphones1.gif

When the X3ii is in USB DAC mode think of it like this. The computer harddrive replaces the mSD card and the file decoding is done on the computer software instead of the X3ii software. That's it. You aren't degrading the sound or doubling up on amplification. You are replacing one source for your files with another, nothing more. Everything else works like a standalone player in DAC mode (only the source is replaced).

Please forget line-out. I only mentioned it because you mentioned the Voltage and the line-out from your computer and I wanted to clarify that the headphone out of the X3ii is what you should use to connect headphones. It was a matter of trying to get things straight.

smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, I didn't know that harddrive replacement. I thought like it was only DAC/AMP replacement. I can't reach the files on my computer harddrive when I plug X3ii as standalone DAC?

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #9,369 of 9,972
Hmm, I didn't know that harddrive replacement. I thought like it was only DAC/AMP replacement. I can't reach the files on my computer harddrive when I plug X3ii as standalone DAC?

Yes you do. When using the X3ii in USB DAC mode you ARE USING THE COMPUTER FILES AND SOFTWARE. You are then ignoring the mSD card and internal decoding software, but still using everything after that in the X3ii (DAC/amp).

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #9,371 of 9,972
Okay, forgive my inexperience. :D  My X3ii is still on shipping. :)

No worries. It's really pretty straight forward when you break it down to the simplest terms. You have three main components with a DAP. 1) Source, 2) DAC, 3) amp. So when you use the X3ii in USB mode you change the source to the computer and everything else stays the same.

To take it further, just for your reference, the line-out uses whatever source you are set to (USB or Storage), uses the X3ii DAC but bypasses the internal amp to feed an external amp.

Or, you can use coaxial output to bypass the X3ii's internal DAC and amp to output a digital bitstream to feed an external DAC/amp.

It's a flexible device with options to use in different ways. I'm signing off.

:beerchug:

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #9,372 of 9,972
Okay, forgive my inexperience. :D  My X3ii is still on shipping. :)

In a nutshel the x3ii is an external usb soundcard for your computer, thats the best way of looking at it. Although the line out can be used for headphones its not really ideal, the headphone output should be used unless you are pairing with an external amp in which case the line out should be used. The only reason they mentioned you can use the line out is for headphones that are hard to drive, i personally would not though. If they were hard to drive i would.pickup a fiio a5 amp

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #9,373 of 9,972
No worries. It's really pretty straight forward when you break it down to the simplest terms. You have three main components with a DAP. 1) Source, 2) DAC, 3) amp. So when you use the X3ii in USB mode you change the source to the computer and everything else stays the same.

To take it further, just for your reference, the line-out uses whatever source you are set to (USB or Storage), uses the X3ii DAC but bypasses the internal amp to feed an external amp.

Or, you can use coaxial output to bypass the X3ii's internal DAC and amp to output a digital bitstream to feed an external DAC/amp.

It's a flexible device with options to use in different ways. I'm signing off.

beerchug.gif

Thank you ^^ 
Another thing, I think a budget-king dedicated DAP like Fiio X3-II is better than flagship smartphones not only in power, but the audio quality. Because they're here for JUST music. You can take that flagship smartphone thing like HTC 10 or LG V10 for example because they are famous. Those smartphones destroy X3ii when it comes to interface though. But that's not my point actually.

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #9,374 of 9,972
In a nutshel the x3ii is an external usb soundcard for your computer, thats the best way of looking at it. Although the line out can be used for headphones its not really ideal, the headphone output should be used unless you are pairing with an external amp in which case the line out should be used. The only reason they mentioned you can use the line out is for headphones that are hard to drive, i personally would not though. If they were hard to drive i would.pickup a fiio a5 amp

Thank you, I'm looking forward to get my X3ii immediately. This will be my first hi-res audio device. And all the reviews were PHENOMENAL, not saw a single negative thing about the audio quality. 

Dec 23, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #9,375 of 9,972

If you are using the X3II as a USB sound card with hard to drive headphones, it might be better to get a Fiio K5. The K5 is made for your desk as it runs on AC power and not a battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back