The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 16, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #5,806 of 9,972
Supposedly Kingston is pretty good too.  I've heard mixed things about the reliability of PNY cards, though, despite how popular they seem to be.

Considering Kingston is a memory manufacturer, I would think so. I have a few Kingston sd cards and have no issues.

Sep 16, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #5,808 of 9,972
Let me ask something; not about memory cards
If both 3.5mm and line out of X3ii are connected(to separate devices of course) will music output to both devices ?

No, on FiiO DAPs the Line Out overrides the Headphone Out so sound is only output through Line Out when both are plugged in.

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #5,809 of 9,972
I need help. There are no auditioning places in mumbai where i live. My source is Fiio X3 second gen.. Please suggest the difference in sound signatures between them.. My genres are jazz, blues, vocal house, disco, folk music etc lots of instrumentation..
I need soundstage and good clarity. bass is wanted but it must not cloud the vocals.
Please help me deciding between Audio technica Ath MSR7 vs Beyrdynamics Dt 770 pro 80 ohms vs Shure SRH 840

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:17 AM Post #5,810 of 9,972

Yeah, for the same money one can get 3 128GB cards. that's 384GB for the same price, effectively doubling the GB-to-buck ratio.

I think the point though, for our purposes, is that the X3ii only has ONE micro SD slot, so that it doesn't mean diddley-squat having 2 or 3 128gb cards as opposed to just one when it comes to using them in the X3ii.

Not sure I'm following you! If I get another card, lets say with only my collection of jazz on it, then when I want my jazz I can simply swap. No?

EDIT: Think I answered this question myself a couple of posts below, lol!

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #5,811 of 9,972

Great set up. It wouldn't work for me as I use the player on public transport for 2 hours a day, in addition to work. If I was keeping it at home, I would probably do the same.

I use it in public and at work like this.  Whole thing fits in my pocket and I've never had any issues with it.  I won't say I use it every day, but probably 2 to 3 times per week and anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at work.  It sits on my desk at work, but while i'm out exercising or running it's in my pocket or in an arm band.  The OTG cable is super flexible.  Like I said, to each their own.  I just wanted to point this out as an option for those that want more space, but don't want to pay for the expensive 200 gig card.  We all have our own way of doing things and that's ok.  

Thanks for sharing about OTG! I'd never even heard about it, and for my purposes and budget it's an absolutely beautiful solution!

For example, would this OTG cable work? Any other recommendations when selecting an OTG cable? Thanks!

Oh, also, can I just plug it in, or are there certain X3ii settings required to be made?
Will it affect the UI, or will the X3ii see it as just another microSD card?
Can I use the OTG and a microSD card simultaneously?
What would be the maximum flash drive size that can be used with the X3ii?
Can any flash drive be used or does it need a certain minimum speed?

Guess I'm going for OTG! 
wink.gif

Many questions, again thanks!

Sep 17, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #5,812 of 9,972

Yeah, for the same money one can get 3 128GB cards. that's 384GB for the same price, effectively doubling the GB-to-buck ratio.

I think the point though, for our purposes, is that the X3ii only has ONE micro SD slot, so that it doesn't mean diddley-squat having 2 or 3 128gb cards as opposed to just one when it comes to using them in the X3ii.

Not sure I'm following you! If I get another card, lets say with only my collection of jazz on it, then when I want my jazz I can simply swap. No?

Don't think you need to answer that after I read through the other posts; no problem swapping, it's just inconvenient and could mean a lot of wear and tear. Hm... think I'll go for the OTG solution if for some reason I would want to play my FLAC files instead of my MP3s on my coming X3ii.

Sep 17, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #5,815 of 9,972

I found it strange anyone ever complained about the smell of those cases, based on FiiO's reasoning for outmoding them, as the silicon cases were a wonderful addition to the whole package FiiO offered.  I heard the more recent cases had a hint of jasmine aroma, but I wouldn't know as I don't spend time sniffing them.

I did sniff them and I didn't smell anything offensive or unusual. I think they are a nice accessory too..much nicer than open faced plastic cases.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #5,816 of 9,972
  What type of USB port does the X3ii have? I don't seem to be able to find this info anywhere. It definitely looks like a micro-B port though, no?

The cable is Micro USB-B
The player looks like Micro USB-B

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB#Mini_and_micro_connectors

I only have Micro USB-B seen used on devices, that is probably whiy they only speak of Micro-USB.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #5,817 of 9,972
  What type of USB port does the X3ii have? I don't seem to be able to find this info anywhere. It definitely looks like a micro-B port though, no?

When I bought my cable, I just asked for a micro USB to female USB OTG cable.  Not sure of the exact terminology for it.  Search OTG on Amazon and all kinds of cables come up, that's why I decided to buy locally.  Also, there's a lot of good info in this thread about OTG: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766456/fiio-otg-support-thread.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #5,818 of 9,972
I'm currently using a 'Leef Access microSD Card Reader with microUSB 2.0 Connector for Android - as per photo.

Seems to work peerlessly...

I tried a Meenova card reader, but it didn't work with my X3II.  It works in every other device I have except the X3II and I don't know why.

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #5,819 of 9,972
  I need help. There are no auditioning places in mumbai where i live. My source is Fiio X3 second gen.. Please suggest the difference in sound signatures between them.. My genres are jazz, blues, vocal house, disco, folk music etc lots of instrumentation..
I need soundstage and good clarity. bass is wanted but it must not cloud the vocals.
Please help me deciding between Audio technica Ath MSR7 vs Beyrdynamics Dt 770 pro 80 ohms vs Shure SRH 840

Check your Inbox

Sep 17, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5,820 of 9,972

When I bought my cable, I just asked for a micro USB to female USB OTG cable.  Not sure of the exact terminology for it.  Search OTG on Amazon and all kinds of cables come up, that's why I decided to buy locally.  Also, there's a lot of good info in this thread about OTG: http://www.head-fi.org/t/766456/fiio-otg-support-thread.

Thanks! Any chance for a reply to my other questions as well? I'd really appreciate it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back