The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #5,836 of 9,972

I am guessing a Y cable like this, with the powerline connected to an external battery could help with the battery drain on the DAP. But this setup defeats the purpose of portability.

Oh yes, I have it in a stack with the X5 and E12. battery life is probably shortened a bit, but I haven't measured how much. I have 2 64gb cards in the X5 plus 512gb on the SSD. Nearly 19,000 FLAC lossless plus a few hundred hi-res FLAC files at my fingertips !! 

This was the post I was referring to from the thread I linked earlier about using a hard drive.  It can be done, but the battery life will be affected by something like this.  My card reader would reduce battery life to about 8.5 hours.  My flash drive (even with the flashing light) will still let the X3II run 10 hours.

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #5,837 of 9,972
I was going to buy an X5II a while back simply to have the two card slots, but when I discovered OTG worked on the X3II, I opted to get the X3II.  I don't regret this decision at all.  You'll find it's very simple to use and that it's not a hassle at all.  It has allowed me to carry my entire collection with me.  Flash drives are cheaper than micro cards, so you can get a 256 gig flash drive for the cost of one 128 gig card.  Of course, this is way cheaper than the 200 gig card that was discussed earlier and I don't have to take the cover off to use it.  Can't beat it IMO.
Wow, this look awsome! Carring X3II DAP + 256 GB Flash Drive with you, in your pocket!?! Wow! Have you think to ad an E12A eventualy,? you'l get more power to !

Yep, You save money, over weight, portability! ... What about the X7 ?

:D

Sep 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #5,838 of 9,972
Wow, this look awsome! Carring X3II DAP + 256 GB Flash Drive with you, in your pocket!?! Wow! Have you think to ad an E12A eventualy,? you'l get more power to !

Yep, You save money, over weight, portability! ... What about the X7 ?

biggrin.gif

I would definitely get more battery if I used an amp.  I sold my amp (Topping NX1) after I bought my X3II, so I can't try it.  A new amp is on my short list to get.  I really don't own any power hungry headphones to justify an amp, but saving battery is always a good reason to buy one.
biggrin.gif

Couldn't tell you anything about the X7.  I don't have any interest in that toy at the moment.  I'm HI-FI on a budget...lol
atsmile.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #5,839 of 9,972
Just throwing this out to learn if this is a problem with my unit or common.

I have two 128GB SD cards with about 13000 songs on both. (7000+ on one and 5000+ on the other)

The X5 Second Gen is becoming more and more sluggish and unresponsive with the menus and buttons as time goes on.
The cards were reformatted and the unit was back to normal.  Add a few songs and all okay but then the more songs on the card, the less snappy the unit becomes until everything has a pause and I am overshooting intended locations because I am pressing the button twice or more occasionally believing the first input was missed.

I have firmware 1.1.

Sep 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #5,840 of 9,972
  Just throwing this out to learn if this is a problem with my unit or common.

I have two 128GB SD cards with about 13000 songs on both. (7000+ on one and 5000+ on the other)

The X5 Second Gen is becoming more and more sluggish and unresponsive with the menus and buttons as time goes on.
The cards were reformatted and the unit was back to normal.  Add a few songs and all okay but then the more songs on the card, the less snappy the unit becomes until everything has a pause and I am overshooting intended locations because I am pressing the button twice or more occasionally believing the first input was missed.

I have firmware 1.1.

Your tags and album art size can affect the speed.  Perhaps though, you might get a better response in the X5II thread.

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:27 AM Post #5,842 of 9,972
The X3II was my first foray into hi-res music and I liked the player which is currently matched with Dunu DN-1000. However, I recently realised that the EQ does not work with higher bit sampling rates. I'm thinking of getting a FIIO amp to ramp up bass. What would be a good amp to match the X3? Thanks!

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:49 AM Post #5,843 of 9,972
I would definitely get more battery if I used an amp.  I sold my amp (Topping NX1) after I bought my X3II, so I can't try it.  A new amp is on my short list to get.  I really don't own any power hungry headphones to justify an amp, but saving battery is always a good reason to buy one.:D

Couldn't tell you anything about the X7.  I don't have any interest in that toy at the moment.  I'm HI-FI on a budget...lol:atsmile:

Ohhh...you should have tried X3ii + topping nx1. It really is poor man's delight. I own both and using them with Takstar pro80. I'm in heaven:)

Sep 19, 2015 at 6:59 AM Post #5,844 of 9,972
  The X3II was my first foray into hi-res music and I liked the player which is currently matched with Dunu DN-1000. However, I recently realised that the EQ does not work with higher bit rates. I'm thinking of getting a FIIO amp to ramp up bass. What would be a good amp to match the X3? Thanks!

What!!!??? 
eek.gif
 Did I make the wrong decision  ordering the X3ii?

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #5,845 of 9,972
The X3II was my first foray into hi-res music and I liked the player which is currently matched with Dunu DN-1000. However, I recently realised that the EQ does not work with higher bit rates. I'm thinking of getting a FIIO amp to ramp up bass. What would be a good amp to match the X3? Thanks!
What!!!??? :eek:  Did I make the wrong decision  ordering the X3ii?

Actually it's Sampling Rates over 48kHz that the EQ doesn't work. 24 bit / 48kHz and lower work fine. This is due to the exponential calculations required at higher sampling rates. This is true on all FiiO DAPs not just the X3ii.

Sep 19, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #5,847 of 9,972
Ohhh...you should have tried X3ii + topping nx1. It really is poor man's delight. I own both and using them with Takstar pro80. I'm in heaven:)

I tried it before I sold the amp.  Battery life was extended, but it really didn't bring anything else to the table.  I decided to do away with the amp and just use the player since it drove my headphones just fine and offered nothing else (bass boost or anything like that).  If I get another amp, it will be a e12 and it will be to drive some hungrier headphones (also on my short list to get).

Sep 19, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #5,848 of 9,972
It's been that way since the original X3 so I'm sure Fiio is aware but it certainly isn't a bother to me. As Mr. Trev said...it's a feature :tongue_smile:

Actually the album artwork worked fine on early FW versions of the 1st gen X3, but the problem cropped up in an upgrade and has never been fixed.

Agreed its not really an issue for me, but its a bit sloppy that such a basic operation does not work properly.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #5,849 of 9,972
Actually the album artwork worked fine on early FW versions of the 1st gen X3, but the problem cropped up in an upgrade and has never been fixed.

Agreed its not really an issue for me, but its a bit sloppy that such a basic operation does not work properly.

I believe Fiio's explanation was that the choice was either have bars on each side of the artwork (due to the wide screen of the x5) or to crop it to fit. They felt that cropping was the best option.
It kinda is a moot point because it's the sq that matters, and I've yet to read anything claiming proper album art can improve the sound - although I wouldn't be surprised if someone where did
wink.gif
Just my 5¢

Sep 19, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #5,850 of 9,972
Album art really does nothing for me other than give me something to look at when the screen is on.  Most of my prior DAPs didn't even display the album art.  I only saw it when using my PC.  I can live with or without it.  For best results though, if adding your own (or correcting it) anything between 240x240 pixels to 350x350 pixels seems to display the best IMO.  If you buy MP3s, Amazon's stuff is always 500x500, emusic runs 500x500 to 800x800, and 7digital is 800x800 (on all my purchases).  You will not see all of the art work when the images are over 350x350.  Obviously, this can all be corrected (even flac) using MP3tag or other tagging software.  When I rip my own stuff, I set the art accordingly to the correct aspect ratio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back