The FiiO X3 2nd gen (ex X3K, X3II) Thread : 192K/24B, CS4398,Native DSD, USB DAC with LO and inline remote
Sep 16, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #5,792 of 9,972

I hate taking the microsd card out...such a nuisance to remove the case and all that. I only do it if I have to copy a large amount of music to the card. Otherwise I'll just do it via the usb cable even if it is slower. I find I only need to add or delete an album once in awhile anyway.

That's my situation too!  When I loaded my whole library onto the card for the first time, it was over 100gb to add at once, so I formatted the card in the player, then removed it and put it in the SD adapter in my laptop and loaded all the music onto it that way since it transfers about three to four times faster.  But after inseerting it back in the X3ii after that point, I have not once removed the Micro SD from then on.  When I've needed to add or delete music since that time, it's only been at most 2 to 3gb at a time, so it's not that big a deal to me that it only transfers at 4 to 5 MB/s.

And yeah, aside from issues with possibly damaging the connectors on the card or in the card-slot (something I do NOT want to happen, obviously), I hate having to remove the silicone case in order to take the card out.  I love the case, I never use the player without it, actually.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #5,793 of 9,972
Cool. How much data have you loaded onto the card?
I have about 110Gb of music on there. Out of the box, the SD card has 183GB of available storage...to me 17GB less than the quoted amount is a far stretch and a little disappointing. I bought the card while it was on special on Amazon for US$150. I've landed with the X3II post owning an X5 with 2x128GB cards in there. I sold the X5 and 2 cards to my brother in law and upgraded. The difference in going from the 2 cards to the single 200GB amounted to $50 in my case, so it was worth it to me if it meant I had all my music on the one card. I don't deny it was an expensive purchase still but I am content with the fact I have a little fantastic player with all my music on there without the possibility of running out of storage anytime soon. Sorry, I thought I would answer all the subsequent questions to your post in a single reply :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #5,795 of 9,972
  That's my situation too!  When I loaded my whole library onto the card for the first time, it was over 100gb to add at once, so I formatted the card in the player, then removed it and put it in the SD adapter in my laptop and loaded all the music onto it that way since it transfers about three to four times faster.  But after inseerting it back in the X3ii after that point, I have not once removed the Micro SD from then on.  When I've needed to add or delete music since that time, it's only been at most 2 to 3gb at a time, so it's not that big a deal to me that it only transfers at 4 to 5 MB/s.

And yeah, aside from issues with possibly damaging the connectors on the card or in the card-slot (something I do NOT want to happen, obviously), I hate having to remove the silicone case in order to take the card out.  I love the case, I never use the player without it, actually.

Yes, I never use the player without a case either. I have a Dignis case for it which is very nice but the silicone case protects better. I actually ordered a couple spare cases from Fiio on Ali Express because they are changing from silicone cases to clear plastic so I thought I better get them now before they are gone.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #5,796 of 9,972

Yes, I never use the player without a case either. I have a Dignis case for it which is very nice but the silicone case protects better. I actually ordered a couple spare cases from Fiio on Ali Express because they are changing from silicone cases to clear plastic so I thought I better get them now before they are gone.

I found it strange anyone ever complained about the smell of those cases, based on FiiO's reasoning for outmoding them, as the silicon cases were a wonderful addition to the whole package FiiO offered.  I heard the more recent cases had a hint of jasmine aroma, but I wouldn't know as I don't spend time sniffing them.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #5,797 of 9,972
Jasmine aroma has been used for aphrodisiac purposes for decades. Wonder why Fiio did that... 
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #5,798 of 9,972
I have about 110Gb of music on there. Out of the box, the SD card has 183GB of available storage...to me 17GB less than the quoted amount is a far stretch and a little disappointing. I bought the card while it was on special on Amazon for US$150. I've landed with the X3II post owning an X5 with 2x128GB cards in there. I sold the X5 and 2 cards to my brother in law and upgraded. The difference in going from the 2 cards to the single 200GB amounted to $50 in my case, so it was worth it to me if it meant I had all my music on the one card. I don't deny it was an expensive purchase still but I am content with the fact I have a little fantastic player with all my music on there without the possibility of running out of storage anytime soon. Sorry, I thought I would answer all the subsequent questions to your post in a single reply
smily_headphones1.gif

It's your money.  Eventually that 200 gig card will get full just like anything else.  I know bigger cards are on the horizon, but I refuse to pay that much for a micro card when I can get a 128 gig flash drive and OTG cable for $40...just saying. 
wink_face.gif

With my 128gig Sandisk flash drive

Even works with my Transcend card reader.  Card reader was $6.

Sep 16, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #5,799 of 9,972
It's your money.  Eventually that 200 gig card will get full just like anything else.  I know bigger cards are on the horizon, but I refuse to pay that much for a micro card when I can get a 128 gig flash drive and OTG cable for $40...just saying. :wink_face:

With my 128gig Sandisk flash drive

Even works with my Transcend card reader.  Card reader was $6.

Great set up. It wouldn't work for me as I use the player on public transport for 2 hours a day, in addition to work. If I was keeping it at home, I would probably do the same.

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #5,800 of 9,972
Great set up. It wouldn't work for me as I use the player on public transport for 2 hours a day, in addition to work. If I was keeping it at home, I would probably do the same.

I use it in public and at work like this.  Whole thing fits in my pocket and I've never had any issues with it.  I won't say I use it every day, but probably 2 to 3 times per week and anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at work.  It sits on my desk at work, but while i'm out exercising or running it's in my pocket or in an arm band.  The OTG cable is super flexible.  Like I said, to each their own.  I just wanted to point this out as an option for those that want more space, but don't want to pay for the expensive 200 gig card.  We all have our own way of doing things and that's ok.  

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #5,801 of 9,972
I use it in public and at work like this.  Whole thing fits in my pocket and I've never had any issues with it.  I won't say I use it every day, but probably 2 to 3 times per week and anywhere from 6 to 8 hours at work.  It sits on my desk at work, but while i'm out exercising or running it's in my pocket or in an arm band.  The OTG cable is super flexible.  Like I said, to each their own.  I just wanted to point this out as an option for those that want more space, but don't want to pay for the expensive 200 gig card.  We all have our own way of doing things and that's ok.  
Fully agree. It's why we're on these forums. I've learnt a lot being on here (like finding out about Fiio in the first place). This is a set up I would go for if my 200Gb ran out. Thanks for sharing :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #5,802 of 9,972
I bought an otg cable off of ebay last month, then went to use it a few weeks ago and couldn't find it. It has fallen into the void, I'll probably have to get another one since I still can't find it today.

Sep 16, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #5,803 of 9,972
I bought an otg cable off of ebay last month, then went to use it a few weeks ago and couldn't find it. It has fallen into the void, I'll probably have to get another one since I still can't find it today.

You can find them anywhere.  Mine is a Samsung that I picked up at Best Buy.  Any cell phone store should have them too.  You might pay a bit more, but at least you don't have to wait for it to be delivered.

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #5,805 of 9,972
Good to know that Transcend makes good micro SD cards. I thought SanDisk and Samsung were the only reliable players.

Supposedly Kingston is pretty good too.  I've heard mixed things about the reliability of PNY cards, though, despite how popular they seem to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back