The FiiO X1 Discussion and Help and Support Thread |192K/24B|100mW | LO | inline remote
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #121 of 7,793
If this is equipped with a good DAC, there is no reason not to support Fiio and just buy one for amping.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #123 of 7,793
Atleast we're all on the same page.... Otg is useless. HO and LO w/ Expandable memory, more than likely microsd to save space. No built in memory, cheapo screen, no wall plug, but a good dac. Everything else is not as important.

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #125 of 7,793
Me too for a good dac implamentation. Any usb dac, fm, otg, digital out ...are not important to me. I would even vote for a nos dac rather having high - res support in order to rival tera player. Maybe X7 would have both nos dac and high res dac chips in one

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #126 of 7,793
Atleast we're all on the same page.... Otg is useless. HO and LO w/ Expandable memory, more than likely microsd to save space. No built in memory, cheapo screen, no wall plug, but a good dac. Everything else is not as important.

+1 But let's not push the things too far with a too cheap screen. Have you seen a budget non-smart and non-touchscreen phone recently? I have two backup phones - Nokias with 2 and 2.4 inch screens and they are ridiculously bad with like a 10-degree viewing angle and you can't see almost anything in sunlight or any bright light and they aren't even the cheapest Nokia models.
I guess with all the higher-end phones in the past few years when most people think of a cheap screen they imagine that it just has low resolution and not the greatest contrast but there are a lot of bad screens out there and you wouldn't want anything like them on any of your devices.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #127 of 7,793
+1 But let's not push the things too far with a too cheap screen. Have you seen a budget non-smart and non-touchscreen phone recently? I have two backup phones - Nokias with 2 and 2.4 inch screens and they are ridiculously bad with like a 10-degree viewing angle and you can't see almost anything in sunlight or any bright light and they aren't even the cheapest Nokia models.
I guess with all the higher-end phones in the past few years when most people think of a cheap screen they imagine that it just has low resolution and not the greatest contrast but there are a lot of bad screens out there and you wouldn't want anything like them on any of your devices.

I could care less about viewing angle or resolution, I can use my other hand to block the sun if need be.... A good dac.

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #128 of 7,793
I could care less about viewing angle or resolution, I can use my other hand to block the sun if need be.... A good dac.

Well, of course I want a good DAC - that is a given but you haven't seen how bad a screen can be. Shield it with hand - yeah, and go find a shade otherwise you still won't see anything. The screen should be at least half decent otherwise it can get really annoying being on the go and having to start turn yourself around and tilting you head trying to see the display - I  look like a complete idiot whenever I have to use my backup phone. What's the point of a small DAP if we'll have to use two hands to use it. I also don't care about IPS, resolution and stuff like that on a 2 inch screen but I hope viewing angles and sunlight legibility will be good. 
It's not that I'm expecting Fiio will use such a bad screen but my point is that when people say they don't care about the screen quality at all they mostly don't have idea how bad a screen can be

Nov 24, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #129 of 7,793
I think the screen is important on a dap for me.
However I find well positioned Hardware buttons to be more crucial.
I loved my AK100 for the reason that it had touch screen AND hardware buttons.
probably about 70% of the time I used it without even looking at it whatsoever.

Scott

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #130 of 7,793
  Well, of course I want a good DAC - that is a given but you haven't seen how bad a screen can be. Shield it with hand - yeah, and go find a shade otherwise you still won't see anything. 

That's true. I have that problem with my clip zip - can't read the screen at all in the sun (shaded or not).

Nov 24, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #131 of 7,793
Since we are all crazy and worried at the same time about the FiiO X1 DAC quality, why not sacrifice the amp... So no built in amp since majority of us will be bypassing it and you can get the E6 for less than $30 these days. So make the FiiO X1 $70 maybe? xD

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #132 of 7,793
Since we are all crazy and worried at the same time about the FiiO X1 DAC quality, why not sacrifice the amp... So no built in amp since majority of us will be bypassing it and you can get the E6 for less than $30 these days. So make the FiiO X1 $70 maybe? xD

Interesting idea, but:
NOOOOOO!
The most attractive aspects (after SQ) of DAP's are that they are convenient and portable.
Adding ,and carrying extra kit such as amplifiers just isn't my bag.

Please, I need a built-in amp.
All I need it to drive is multi driver c/iem's, not Stax or ortho's, so the amp section could be fairly small, but still....

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #133 of 7,793
Interesting idea, but:
NOOOOOO!
The most attractive aspects (after SQ) of DAP's are that they are convenient and portable.
Adding ,and carrying extra kit such as amplifiers just isn't my bag.

Please, I need a built-in amp.
All I need it to drive is multi driver c/iem's, not Stax or ortho's, so the amp section could be fairly small, but still....

Maybe the X1 is just as thin as iNano 3rd? Then adding an external amp still wouldn't be bulky... XD

Nov 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #134 of 7,793
Maybe the X1 is just as thin as iNano 3rd? Then adding an external amp still wouldn't be bulky... XD

I get you, but it still means separate devices to charge, and another cable/LOD to negotiate and watch out for.

I think the only way I could be persuaded down the separate devices route would be if FiiO produced a device which would easily (and neatly) allow me to use an Android phone as a digital source (with a VERY low profile connector/cable).
And that's getting a bit OT, sorry.

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:03 PM Post #135 of 7,793

Nah, that's not going to happen. Fiio aren't making the X1 just for a few head-fi guys that don't mind carrying an extra amp with their DAP. First of all, not everyone has an amp or is willing to buy one or always carry one and interconnects add additional buk also coz not everyone will be making or buying a custom low-profile ic. Second of all, the X1 is obviously supposed to be an all-in-one affordable DAP for people on a budget or just average consumers who want to get a taste of hi-res audio and better sq but aren't the type that will spend a lot of money on portable audio. And a requirement for a mandatory external amp suddenly will decrease X1's overall value as a small portable DAP and also scare away a lot of consumers coz no - removing the amp section won't make it 30 bucks cheaper.
Fiio obviously has a plan and target market for each of their DAPs and if you're an audiophile and don't mind bulkier size you should get an X3 or X5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back