The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Aug 15, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #631 of 660

Quote:
I just picked up Magnification recently.  I like it a lot.

Me too, man (except I've owned it for a long while). IMO, it's by far their most solid effort since Going For the One.

Aug 17, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #632 of 660
Quote:
There isn't a single King Crimson record that I don't like (I am a huge fan), but Lark's Tongues in Aspic is another absolute masterpiece that deserves serious attention :wink:

You don't find 'Three of a Perfect Pair' absolutely grating?

On a side note, man I love Demons and Wizards and Abominog by Uriah Heep. Such great albums...
Currently listening to Uriah Heep's 2011 album 'Into The Wild'.

Aug 17, 2011 at 9:40 AM Post #633 of 660

Quote:

Not at all.  I actually really like TOAPP.  I prefer it to "Beat", although I like it as well.

However, I should mention that TOAPP is the LAST KC I like.  The "modern" KC stuff I do not care for, sadly.

Aug 17, 2011 at 10:10 PM Post #634 of 660

Quote:

On a side note, man I love Demons and Wizards and Abominog by Uriah Heep. Such great albums...
Currently listening to Uriah Heep's 2011 album 'Into The Wild'.

Dear god, yes I do... There are several songs that I like, but the rest is either a poor attempt at pop or horribly syncopated noise. Skylab, I must agree, it's still better than Beat.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #635 of 660

Quote:
Not at all.  I actually really like TOAPP.  I prefer it to "Beat", although I like it as well.

However, I should mention that TOAPP is the LAST KC I like.  The "modern" KC stuff I do not care for, sadly.

Could listen to The Power to Believe all day. Quite love it.

I agree with Allmusic's review on THRAK, it does sound like a modern 'Red'.

Sep 7, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #636 of 660
Failure - Fantastic Planet - 1996

There are are several great tracks on it: Solaris, Another Space Song, Heliotropic to name a few.

Sep 8, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #637 of 660
What a cool thread here. I scanned over about thirty pages to get an idea of things.

There is a couple of releases which I suggest only because I did not see them here and second because they are really grand.

First....

Awaken the Guardian by Fates Warning

Released in 1986 this is a pure mix of metal and progressive rock. I purchased it the month it came out. Later it became maybe a little soft but it still reminds many now of that era.

This comes out of Paris in 1976 by the fantastic progressive rock band Magma, they don't call themselves progressive but they are. Everyone should hear this once. This Zeuhl form of music, as they call it, is a form of Jazz, Art Rock, Progressive Rock and Avant-rock. There live albums are super hard to find but Magma shine in the live arena. 

Amon Düül II is really a Krautrock band but there is really very few clear differences between the two and they share so much. This hit the scene in 1972 and ends being one of the best examples of progressive rock ever.

Schicke-Führs-Fröhling was one of the best German acts. Get their CD anthology if you find it!

Check out the guitar/bass with keyboard on the side. SFF were the best.

Sep 12, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #638 of 660
I just pre-ordered the new releases from Dream Theater and Opeth. That will be a nice package when it arrives!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #640 of 660
Ooooh, love Mastodon - when is their next one due out?

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #641 of 660
Some upcoming metal/prog rock releases:

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare (9/13)
Anthrax - Worship Music (9/13)
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13)
Jane's Addiction - The Great Escape Artist (10/18)
King Crimson - Discipline: 40th Anniversary Edition (10/25)
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black: 40th Anniversary Edition (10/25)
Machine Head - Unto the Locust (9/27)
Mastodon - The Hunter (9/27)
Opeth - Heritage (9/20) (note: less than stellar reviews I'm seeing for this one)
Pink Floyd - The Discovery Studio Album Box Set (9/27) (remastered individual albums also available separately)
Primus - Green Naugahyde (9/13)
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (9/27)
The Devil Wears Prada - Dead Throne (9/13)

And for those who missed 'em, Chimaira, Sepultura, Trivium, and Unearth released new albums this year.

Other upcoming rock/alt-rock/indie releases:

Feist - Metals (10/4)
Jimi Hendrix - Winterland (9/13)
Nirvana - Nevermind [Deluxe Edition] (remastered) (9/27)
Peter Gabriel - New Blood (10/11)
Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire (10/11)
U2 - Achtung Baby [Deluxe Edition] (11/1)
Wilco - The Whole Love (9/27)

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #642 of 660
Nice list.  I had already ordered the two" new" KC DVD-A's, as well as Steven Wilson's new solo record.  Now have the Dream Theater, Opeth, and Mastodon on order.  It's going to be a very proggy October!

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #643 of 660
I recently went for the albums by the Dutch band Dewolff. Great fun to listen to, "Orchards/Lupine" is next. I tried this strange album "Il Balletto Di Bronzo" by Ys, fascinating listen. I should give it a second spin.

I am not sure if Elbow counts but for some reason "Build A Rocket Boys!" lacks something for me.

Time to check some suggestions... 

Sep 13, 2011 at 5:22 AM Post #644 of 660

The Alice Cooper seems a little fractured, good for a couple of songs. Does not hold a candle to WTMN 1. The Anthrax is amazing, 20X better than Alice Coopers release in my opinion. 
Quote:
Some upcoming metal/prog rock releases:

Alice Cooper - Welcome 2 My Nightmare (9/13)
Anthrax - Worship Music (9/13)
Dream Theater - A Dramatic Turn of Events (9/13)
Jane's Addiction - The Great Escape Artist (10/18)
King Crimson - Discipline: 40th Anniversary Edition (10/25)
King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black: 40th Anniversary Edition (10/25)
Machine Head - Unto the Locust (9/27)
Mastodon - The Hunter (9/27)
Opeth - Heritage (9/20) (note: less than stellar reviews I'm seeing for this one)
Pink Floyd - The Discovery Studio Album Box Set (9/27) (remastered individual albums also available separately)
Primus - Green Naugahyde (9/13)
Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning (9/27)
The Devil Wears Prada - Dead Throne (9/13)

And for those who missed 'em, Chimaira, Sepultura, Trivium, and Unearth released new albums this year.

Other upcoming rock/alt-rock/indie releases:

Feist - Metals (10/4)
Jimi Hendrix - Winterland (9/13)
Nirvana - Nevermind [Deluxe Edition] (remastered) (9/27)
Peter Gabriel - New Blood (10/11)
Ryan Adams - Ashes & Fire (10/11)
U2 - Achtung Baby [Deluxe Edition] (11/1)
Wilco - The Whole Love (9/27)

Sep 13, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #645 of 660
Commented vocalist/keyboardist Einar Solberg: "We are proud to announce that we're collaborating with the surrealistic American painter Jeff Jordan and the Spanish designer Ritxi Ostariz for the artwork on our upcoming album. Jeff Jordan (www.jeffjordanart.com) is probably best known from his work with The Mars Volta, and his paintings are highly rated all over the world. Ritxi Ostariz (www.ritxiostariz.xom) did the artwork for our previous album "Tall Poppy Syndrome" (released 2009 through Sensory Records) and of course we want him to be part of this new album - Ritxi too is a critically acclaimed designer, and in our opinion one of the very best in his field." The band's new album "Bilateral", which was skillfully mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street (Opeth, Pain Of Salvation, Devin Townsend, Symphony X, etc.), will be released on August 22nd, 2011 in Europe and August 23rd, 2011 in North America via InsideOutMusic. "Bilateral" is set to musically re-define what it means to be progressive rock and / or metal, both for the devotees of the genre and the metal fans looking on from a safe distance. 

This is so much better than the new Opeth release!

The New Opeth? I really think so!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back