The Exploration of Metal and Progressive Rock
Mar 11, 2011 at 8:41 AM Post #616 of 660
There isn't a single King Crimson record that I don't like (I am a huge fan), but Lark's Tongues in Aspic is another absolute masterpiece that deserves serious attention :wink:

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #617 of 660
I'm pretty confident I'll end up to buy the complete catalogue within a few months, I'm already half way there. I really like this band, even though I knew the great bands that came after them who were influenced by them, there music is so damn original. It's almost uncomparable with anything else.

Every time I listen to 'Elephant Talk', I'm still stunned and amazed. ''One more big nightmare", also one of the favorites at the moment.

Mar 27, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #618 of 660
Grayceon is a band that I think everyone should look into:

Mar 28, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #619 of 660
Grayceon, interesting...

Right now I am trying to 'survive' Tool's album "Lateralus" and good *** this album is confusing. Even though I am very tired and worn out for now - work, too little rest - something about this album sounds off. Either that or I missed some clues when listening.

Whatever it is with my K240 DF something sounded scarily strange and the Monitor 10R does not hide that either. Thankfully the 10R does not play with your head as much as the DF does because of the DF's spacious presentation. Is it a combination of loudness and chaos or do I have to get used again to less gentle music? Progressive or not this work makes me wonder if the set up was right... (I guess not.)

Concluding, the album just stopped and I am glad I just took my my headphone off to hear the silence again. I will give it a careful second spin, not too soon though.

Set up: CDX593 (volume on 5/5) + SRC2496 (24/96, gain -10, volume on half) + Monitor 10R

I am finishing with Radiohead's "No Surprises" (CDX593 volume on 3/5) and the volume was better to my liking. 

Update: 29/03

AX2400 (30/30) + Mark V (50/100) + K240 DF 

Tool's album again, the DF has a more distant presentation so this album should sound friendlier on the ears now. I still cannot find the words to describe this album though. 

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #620 of 660
After the second listen I still cannot find words to describe "Lateralus" which means this album is as special as the better King Crimson albums. It is the kind of album I cannot categorize but only recommend to those who want to expand their musical horizon. Listening to this album though demands a decent audio set up. 

I am fascinated by this album to write the least.

Mar 30, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #621 of 660

Quote:
After the second listen I still cannot find words to describe "Lateralus" which means this album is as special as the better King Crimson albums. It is the kind of album I cannot categorize but only recommend to those who want to expand their musical horizon. Listening to this album though demands a decent audio set up. 

I am fascinated by this album to write the least.

Great album! Aenima is in the same league

Apr 6, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #623 of 660
UFO's "Obsession", while not exactly Metal or 'Progressive' is a very fun album, I prefer the live album though. 

Apr 6, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #624 of 660
Quote:
Grayceon, interesting...

Right now I am trying to 'survive' Tool's album "Lateralus" and good *** this album is confusing. Even though I am very tired and worn out for now - work, too little rest - something about this album sounds off. Either that or I missed some clues when listening.

Whatever it is with my K240 DF something sounded scarily strange and the Monitor 10R does not hide that either. Thankfully the 10R does not play with your head as much as the DF does because of the DF's spacious presentation. Is it a combination of loudness and chaos or do I have to get used again to less gentle music? Progressive or not this work makes me wonder if the set up was right... (I guess not.)

Concluding, the album just stopped and I am glad I just took my my headphone off to hear the silence again. I will give it a careful second spin, not too soon though.

Set up: CDX593 (volume on 5/5) + SRC2496 (24/96, gain -10, volume on half) + Monitor 10R

I am finishing with Radiohead's "No Surprises" (CDX593 volume on 3/5) and the volume was better to my liking. 

Update: 29/03

AX2400 (30/30) + Mark V (50/100) + K240 DF 

Tool's album again, the DF has a more distant presentation so this album should sound friendlier on the ears now. I still cannot find the words to describe this album though. 

Next time you listen to Lateralus, do so in the Fibonacci-inspired track order that some die-hard fans came up with (inspired by the Fibonacci number style used in the album). It actually plays more cohesive and seamless to me anyway.

Parabol, Parabola, Schism, Ticks & Leeches, Mantra, Lateralus, Faaip De Oaid, The Grudge, Triad, Eon Blue Apocalypse, Reflection, The Patient, Disposition

Cheers!

Jul 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #625 of 660
Presently enjoying the new Yes album. The album reminds me of Drama (both without Jon Anderson), an album which I think is hoghly under rated.

Jul 7, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #626 of 660

Quote:
Presently enjoying the new Yes album. The album reminds me of Drama (both without Jon Anderson), an album which I think is hoghly under rated.

Wow glad to hear you like it!  Mine hasn't shipped yet - looking forward to it.  I agree with you about Drama - love that record.

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #627 of 660
I certainly prefer it to The Ladder which I found too bland. The five part Fly From Here is epic. I am going to see them in November when they come to Glasgow.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #628 of 660
I had another go at MAGNIFICATION. The first listen was a disaster and I just hated it, so much so this was only my second listen and, well still not the greatest, but this time I got into the orchestration more.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #629 of 660
I like some of the tunes on Magnification.  Far, far from my favorite Yes record, but not bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back