The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Nov 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #271 of 567
Are you getting a deep seal with them? You need to cram it as deep as possible in your ear canal otherwise the sound quality really suffer on them. HF5s shouldn't need an amp to shine. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 3:24 AM Post #272 of 567

Quote:
Are you getting a deep seal with them? You need to cram it as deep as possible in your ear canal otherwise the sound quality really suffer on them. HF5s shouldn't need an amp to shine. 

Yeah, with those mushrooms tips and the ones you roll with your fingers, don't know what they're called I get as deep in as possible. But I still feel they ain't giving me enough, if compared to my Miles Davis Trumpet the volume is way lower at max.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #273 of 567
Well, Ety's are as opposite as you can get in comparison with dynamic iems like the trumpet. you might just have to get used to the sound signature. Try shure olives on the Etys, they bring more fullness to them. 

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #274 of 567

Quote:
Yeah, with those mushrooms tips and the ones you roll with your fingers, don't know what they're called I get as deep in as possible. But I still feel they ain't giving me enough, if compared to my Miles Davis Trumpet the volume is way lower at max.

Have you tried replacing the filters?  Wax, oil, moisture, etc. can clog up the filters and literally block output.  Loss of volume is usually a symptom of the filter becoming clogged, although it's rare that it happens in both ears simultaneously.   Directions for changing filters can be found at http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html

Nov 18, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #275 of 567

Quote:

Have you tried replacing the filters?  Wax, oil, moisture, etc. can clog up the filters and literally block output.  Loss of volume is usually a symptom of the filter becoming clogged, although it's rare that it happens in both ears simultaneously.   Directions for changing filters can be found at http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/hf5.html

Thank you, this was the issue most likely. Now they sound as they should!

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #276 of 567
This thread convinced me to buy a pair. I just ordered  them from j&r, the cobalt version is only 93$.

Here's the link if anyone wants to buy them too: http://www.jr.com/etymotic-research/pe/ETY_HF5COBALT/

Nov 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #277 of 567
^Very good deal.

Nov 19, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #278 of 567
I got my HF5's 2 days ago and for under $100 new it was a steal.  They sound these little guys produce is amazing in every way.  I heard a lot of people complain about the so called lack of bass but to me they have plenty and its so much cleaner than my bass heavy S4's.  The mids and highs is were they really shine and I'm now hearing things in my music that I never heard before.  All I listen to is EDM and at first I was afraid that they would not work that well with that style of music but the have met and exceeded all my expectations.  The fit is great and after a few mins I don't even feel them anymore.  There just great and for the price no other IEM for around $100 can compare.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #279 of 567
Hello I ordered a pair of these yesterday after reading this really great thread. Wondering, how well will these stay in my ears? In all my past earbuds (all very cheap, with those generic silicone tips) they would ALWAYS fall out of my ear within a minute or 2. I was thinking because these go deeper in your ear that they would stay in better. Is that true?

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #280 of 567
Quote:
Hello I ordered a pair of these yesterday after reading this really great thread. Wondering, how well will these stay in my ears? In all my past earbuds (all very cheap, with those generic silicone tips) they would ALWAYS fall out of my ear within a minute or 2. I was thinking because these go deeper in your ear that they would stay in better. Is that true?

buy Klipsch gel tips, Shure foam tips, or Comply T100 foam tips. Those fit my ears the best, and stay in too. Hopefully you'll achieve the same result.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #281 of 567
Hi all,

Been looking at these for a while. Would like to know if you can use them while lying in lateral position. Would it cause any discomfort or, perhaps, any damage?
I need them to be very durable too, cause I'm gonna be using them while in bed.

Also, the price on Amazon for cobalt ones is 95$ at the moment, while blacks cost 150. I noticed that on the cobalt pictures the connector isn't bended like on blacks. Though, on joker's photos cobalt HF5s are with bended connector. Is there any difference between these two at all?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51UT2DhNUCL._AA1175_.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51zhbVkY9cL._AA1211_.jpg

Oh and by the way, I also been looking at Beyerdynamic 101 ie and Monster Turbines, but guess in this thread the replies will be obvious.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #282 of 567
Quote:
Been looking at these for a while. Would like to know if you can use them while lying in lateral position. Would it cause any discomfort or, perhaps, any damage?
I need them to be very durable too, cause I'm gonna be using them while in bed.

No, none of the Ety phones are very pillow-friendly, unless you can sleep exclusively on your back.  But since you asked about side-sleeping, the HF5 will protrude too far from your ear to remain staight in your ear canal.

BTW, all the HF series have the same shape, cable strain relief, etc.

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #284 of 567
I have been using both HF2 and now MC3 in bed on my side and it's absolutely doable (I always sleep with memory foam pillows though).

Something like the Westone UM3x is very pillow friendly. Otherwise customs are the way to go

Jan 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #285 of 567
thanks nc8000.

any other opinnions on how good Etys in bed
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back