The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Aug 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #256 of 567

Quote:
  I've been really enjoying my new hf5s and love the overall sound from them but these tips have to go.  None of them work well and simply cause me pain within 20 mintues short of the foams which i do not like.

What other tips are out there for the hf5s that do no change the sound too much from these deep insertion flange tips?

There are foam tips -- Shure Black foam and Comply foam -- but TBH, the 3-flange gray tips are the best for Ety phones.  You might try with not inserting them too deeply -- just enough to get a seal.  I find that the further I shove them in, the more pinched they get due to the size and shape of my ear canals. 

In a short period of time, you get used to the pressure in your ear canals and they feel more comfortable.

Aug 26, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #257 of 567

Quote:

There are foam tips -- Shure Black foam and Comply foam -- but TBH, the 3-flange gray tips are the best for Ety phones.  You might try with not inserting them too deeply -- just enough to get a seal.  I find that the further I shove them in, the more pinched they get due to the size and shape of my ear canals. 

In a short period of time, you get used to the pressure in your ear canals and they feel more comfortable.

You think the difference in overall sound is much better with the ety tips compared to olives?

edit -  used klipsch ovals today and did some comparing.  I was unable to tell much of a difference between the two after several listens to various tracks.  I went back and forth on some songs at different parts as many as 6 or 7 times comparing the smallest of things.  I simply could not pinpoint any real difference in overall sound quality short of etys isolation is better.  Ill be using the klipsch tips for now and may try olives later on.

I simply can not deal with the triple flange style tips.

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #258 of 567
do any of you guys wear the HF5 behind the top of the ears?  like shure iem's?
i usually use the shirt clip to avoid microphonics and hold the earphones in place during walking...but i find the shure wearing style  very comfortable and effiecient for holding the earphones in place (from my experience with the se420 and se530 i had).

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #259 of 567

Quote:
do any of you guys wear the HF5 behind the top of the ears?  like shure iem's?
i usually use the shirt clip to avoid microphonics and hold the earphones in place during walking...but i find the shure wearing style  very comfortable and effiecient for holding the earphones in place (from my experience with the se420 and se530 i had).

I do :)  Works well too that way :p  Well, I do on my HF2s.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #260 of 567
I You think the difference in overall sound is much better with the ety tips compared to olives?
  edit -  used klipsch ovals today and did some comparing.  I was unable to tell much of a difference between the two after several listens to various tracks.  I went back and forth on some songs at different parts as many as 6 or 7 times comparing the smallest of things.  I simply could not pinpoint any real difference in overall sound quality short of etys isolation is better.  Ill be using the klipsch tips for now and may try olives later on.
 I simply can not deal with the triple flange style tips.

Thankfully, most Ety models have the best isolation due to their non-vented bodies. And, of the 3-4 different tips I've tried with my different Ety models, I can't hear that much difference. The Shure foam tips do get too bloated after several washings, and need replacing, so for some time now, I've been using the grayish 3-flange stock tips.

Aug 31, 2011 at 12:10 PM Post #261 of 567

Quote:
Thankfully, most Ety models have the best isolation due to their non-vented bodies. And, of the 3-4 different tips I've tried with my different Ety models, I can't hear that much difference. The Shure foam tips do get too bloated after several washings, and need replacing, so for some time now, I've been using the grayish 3-flange stock tips.

The difference is in the highs and lows.  The mids stay the same.  As the fit gets slightly worse, the treble will get more smeared/harsher.  The lows get deeper and more impactful with a better seal.  That's all I've noticed.  Using all the tips, one provided the best treble and bass while the others were actually a decently good seal, but the minor differences made the difference.  Using small silicones right now. 

Sep 1, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #263 of 567
yesterday i went jogging.  i wore the hf5 "shure style"..above the back of the ears,and it is fantastic!    i had no microphonics at all,and the earphones were in place the whole time without moving.    and there is no need using extra accessories like shirt clip.   this is truly my preferred way of using iem's.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:33 PM Post #264 of 567
i've read this entire thread and i must say it's convincing me to get a pair. i have the cx300's which are pretty bad all around. i'm new to this whole iem thing but definately love good sound. i think that the hf5's MAY suit me but i'm really worried about what i'm reading about regarding the bass. the bass is the ONLY thing holding me back.

basically, for some of my dj work, i need iem's that will faithfully represent the tracks i'm listening to in order to see what they would sound like on a big system when i'm on the go. when i'm at home i use studio monitors to achieve this. the types of music i'd be using these primarily for is various subgenres of house and techno at around 125 BPM. obviously bass is important in these genres but at the same time i really don't want anything overpowering. like i said, i need an accurate representation of the track that's being listened to. at the same time i'm torn between these and something with more bass like the sunrise xcapes or hisoundaudio crystals.

i like everything else about the hf5's from what i'm reading and i also like the fact that they appear to be quite detailed, something that's important for picking different components out in a track.

if anyone can sway my decision that would be great.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #265 of 567
short answer: plenty of bass
long answer: bass impact lacks because the driver can't move large volumes of air compared to a bigger conventional dynamic driver.

in every instance of "where's the bass" in every iem thread / review at amazon someone else points out the issue with seal and proper tips. i think what really needs to be said is driver size; dynamic drivers verses balanced armatures. if you check the headroom link and look at the frequency sweep of the hf5 you will see it goes very low and remains relatively flat.

what susprised me with the hf5 using the stock tips how diffucult getting them back out of my ears is.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #266 of 567

Quote:
short answer: plenty of bass
long answer: bass impact lacks because the driver can't move large volumes of air compared to a bigger conventional dynamic driver.

in every instance of "where's the bass" in every iem thread / review at amazon someone else points out the issue with seal and proper tips. i think what really needs to be said is driver size; dynamic drivers verses balanced armatures. if you check the headroom link and look at the frequency sweep of the hf5 you will see it goes very low and remains relatively flat.

what susprised me with the hf5 using the stock tips how diffucult getting them back out of my ears is.

ok, so do you think based on my description above these would suit me? i do like bass impact too, but again, everything in moderation. it just needs to exist, doesn't have to be overly abundant, lol.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:43 AM Post #267 of 567
i could sum up the hf5 with one word about the sound: analytical.
that said, sure, i can listen to a song or album i like and it's great. i jump from those to the ultimate ears tf10s and i get sparkle and boom. each has all the details just presented differently.

would you say that your looking for a club like sound in a headphone? if so i'd probally look at full size, over the ear, closed cans. they're are other iems that might fit if your needs are club like.

what the hf5 does best is isolation, when you need to listen to music in a noisy environment, top pick.
years ago i'd read that the hendrix albums were mastered then the engineers used a cheap radio speaker to hear what most consumers would hear, wierd.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #268 of 567

Quote:
i could sum up the hf5 with one word about the sound: analytical.
that said, sure, i can listen to a song or album i like and it's great. i jump from those to the ultimate ears tf10s and i get sparkle and boom. each has all the details just presented differently.

would you say that your looking for a club like sound in a headphone? if so i'd probally look at full size, over the ear, closed cans. they're are other iems that might fit if your needs are club like.

what the hf5 does best is isolation, when you need to listen to music in a noisy environment, top pick.
years ago i'd read that the hendrix albums were mastered then the engineers used a cheap radio speaker to hear what most consumers would hear, wierd.

not really a club like sound, because that would maybe give too much emphasis on the lows i guess? i think i need something analytical (even though i've never head an analytical iem) for my dj work on the go, but at the same time i need something that's good for all around listening when i listen to other types of music. that's why i'm really torn between the hf5's, the sunrise xcapes & the hisoundaudio crystals.

Nov 17, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #269 of 567

Quote:
i've read this entire thread and i must say it's convincing me to get a pair. i have the cx300's which are pretty bad all around. i'm new to this whole iem thing but definately love good sound. i think that the hf5's MAY suit me but i'm really worried about what i'm reading about regarding the bass. the bass is the ONLY thing holding me back.

basically, for some of my dj work, i need iem's that will faithfully represent the tracks i'm listening to in order to see what they would sound like on a big system when i'm on the go. when i'm at home i use studio monitors to achieve this. the types of music i'd be using these primarily for is various subgenres of house and techno at around 125 BPM. obviously bass is important in these genres but at the same time i really don't want anything overpowering. like i said, i need an accurate representation of the track that's being listened to. at the same time i'm torn between these and something with more bass like the sunrise xcapes or hisoundaudio crystals.

i like everything else about the hf5's from what i'm reading and i also like the fact that they appear to be quite detailed, something that's important for picking different components out in a track.

if anyone can sway my decision that would be great.

I just ordered some HF5's and I to will use them for listening to EDM (house, techno, and some trance) and if you have a good player than you can adjust the EQ to give it more bass if needed.  I use S4's right now and they can be a little to bass heavy at times and everything I've seen on the HF5 is that they are much better than most IEM's around $100.

Nov 17, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #270 of 567
Am I the only one who feel that the HF5 sounds a bit weak? I never said this before but lately I've felt that I ain't getting enough volume to hear the music properly. Maybe I need an amp for them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back