The Etymotics HF5 Thread
Nov 16, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #556 of 567
Hi HF5 lovers, I recently posted a request for IEM suggestions as quoted below. Just struck me that I should also ask here since I'm specifically looking for HF5/HF3 users' feedback. Hope that's ok!

Warm greetings and thanks in advance all. Experienced Etymotic HF3/HF5 listeners, can you recommend a better <$150 IEM for my needs?

USES
  1. communications: using Zello (a walkie talkie app) with my photo/video crew shooting weddings and sports
  2. mixing/mastering: for getting another perspective on mixes
  3. monitoring audio: backup to DT-1350 for monitoring cameras and field recorders
  4. music listening: 30% classical, 30% jazz, 15% alt/rock/metal, 15% hip-hop/electronic, 10% eclectic other

PREFERENCES
  • analytical vs musical: analytical—I want to hear details, including nasty ones that warrant fixing
  • flat vs fun: flat—preferably extending to [but not hyping] deep bass
  • open vs isolating: isolating—need clarity in loud environments
  • soundstage: unimportant to me

NOTES
  • will be used alongside Beyerdynamic DT-1350, Sennheiser HD558, and JBL LSR305/308 w/LSR310S (TBD pending room treatment)
  • I'd love to get DT-1350 sound in IEMs, but a different perspective would be useful too. I'm prepared to spend a lot of time ear training.
  • previously owned Etymotic ER-6i and found the bass lacking, but if experts judge that appropriate for my use so be it
  • if I get an IEM without a mic, I'll be using my Samsung Galaxy J3's built-in mic for communication

Sincere thanks! Pending feedback I'm heading for HF3.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #557 of 567
One thing to be mindful of: the comfort and insertion depth. I used the HF5 for over two years and I never found a comfortable fit that didn't get irritating fast. I spent probably twice the value of the earphones on various tips to no avail. The closest I got to good fit were the Spinfits, but jaw movements break the seal, and the isolation goes out of the window even with good seal.

Additionally, and this is probably more important for you, I did a fair amount of calls during this period. Speaking with the HF5 sucks, at least for me. I always ended taking the crappy Samsung headphones that came with my phone, because they work well enough in a call - and there's no need for reference frequency response when talking to people.

Nov 16, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #558 of 567
Thank you! I don't expect the insertion depth to be an issue as I was fine with it on the ER-6i, but at your heads-up I'm gonna read a little more about how they compare.

Do you think speaking with the HF5 is disconcerting because of what the isolation does to your own voice? Guess that's something I'll have to deal with no matter what I get, since some environments will require good isolation. I'll make sure to keep some cheap earbuds in the bag for backup and where isolation isn't important.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #559 of 567
Nov 17, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #560 of 567
Oh wow, I was totally unaware of the ER-3 models. To be honest I've thought about just using cheap earbuds until I can get ER-4XR, just didn't want to be obnoxiously vague on my budget haha. Thank you for bringing another interesting option to my attention.

Nov 17, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #561 of 567
I highly recommend the HF5. Can be found often for $70-100 used as well. Was able to borrow a set and compared them extensively against er4s, er4p, er4xr, and er4sr. They hold their own. Thy actually remind me of the er4xr signature. Hard to beat for the price. I'll probably get one as a backup soon.

Nov 17, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #562 of 567
I highly recommend the HF5. Can be found often for $70-100 used as well. Was able to borrow a set and compared them extensively against er4s, er4p, er4xr, and er4sr. They hold their own. Thy actually remind me of the er4xr signature. Hard to beat for the price. I'll probably get one as a backup soon.
They actually dropped the price — now it lists for $99 new. I thought it was a bargain for the sound quality it provided before, but now it's an even better bargain, and for those willing to spend a little more than the old price, there are the ER3 models.

Nov 17, 2017 at 10:18 PM Post #563 of 567
Thank you! I don't expect the insertion depth to be an issue as I was fine with it on the ER-6i, but at your heads-up I'm gonna read a little more about how they compare.

Do you think speaking with the HF5 is disconcerting because of what the isolation does to your own voice? Guess that's something I'll have to deal with no matter what I get, since some environments will require good isolation. I'll make sure to keep some cheap earbuds in the bag for backup and where isolation isn't important.

If you come from the ER-6i you'll feel right at home. No issues whatsoever with calls on iPhone- you hear only your counterpart, not the environment and they'll hear you fine and dandy.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #564 of 567
Also, anyone use the HD5? I'm wondering how it would stack up to the HF5. It has the benefit of limiting volume, which for me is a big plus as I tend to always push the volume limit (especially in the gym!)

Dec 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #565 of 567
Oh wow, I was totally unaware of the ER-3 models. To be honest I've thought about just using cheap earbuds until I can get ER-4XR, just didn't want to be obnoxiously vague on my budget haha. Thank you for bringing another interesting option to my attention.

I upgraded to the ER3XR from the HF5. The HF5 has been my daily go to headphone to throw in my pocket and take on the go and to the office for the past year. I started looking into etymotic for passive noise isolation after listing to the "best" active noise canceling headphones out there and realizing ANC is garbage at best.

If you are familiar with the HF5, the ER3 is a step up in the detail and separation in the sound. Maybe not a huge improvement for some, but it is very noticable to me on first listening. This is especially true in the treble detail. The biggest improvement however is in the bass region. The ER3XR clearly have a much needed bass boost in the low bass/sub bass frequency response compared to the HF5. It is very clean, separated and detailed bass and not overly bass heavy. Just gives a nice bit of increased support in the low end which was the main limiting factor with the HF5.

The build quality is also significantly improved. The HF models have a plastic body and durable but thin cable. The ER3s have aluminum bodies with detachable cables which can be replaced. From what i understand, Etymotics is planning to release a range of aftermarket cables for these and the ER4 models. The cables on the ER3 are still quite thin but feel a bit more premium overall. This is nice as the cable seems to usually be the place where the HF models fail.

In short, the HF5 are a durable but ultimately a "disposable" ....albeit costly, consumer product by build quality standards. The ER3s are approaching more of the professional build quality with replaceable parts so they should last longer. That should be enough of a reason to buy them over slightly cheaper monitors.

If you are on a tight budget, go with the HF5 while they are on sale. If you can justify the additional $50-80 it is definitely worth it to go with the ER3.

Based on the general impression so far, it recommend strongly that most people will really enjoy the ER3xr for listening to music. The flatter response of the ER3sr may be better suited for studio monitors or musicians monitoring live performances. Again, the slightly emphasized bass boost on the XR is far from what I'd call bass heavy. Definitely still very balanced sounding in my opinion.

One general comment/observation I've had on etymotic earphones is that they seem a little treble heavy and bass light with almost a very "digital" sound straight out of the box. They really open up and smooth out significantly after several hours of playback. I usually run them overnight with white, pink or brown noise playing through them to break the drivers in a bit.

Feb 2, 2018 at 5:43 AM Post #566 of 567
So I just lost my only eartips that work for me (clear small one) and shipping new one are too expensive. I'm looking for alternate tips or mods that produce the same sound. With small tips from other IEM I can get the same insertion depths but because the tips too short compared to stock tips I get more cavity inside ear canal. Do you think the cavity affect the sound too?

Feb 2, 2018 at 6:08 AM Post #567 of 567

Users who are viewing this thread

Back