The Entry Level Stax Thread
Aug 21, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #211 of 3,322
If you go to the index a thread is located in (High End Forum for the Stax thread), look to the right of the thread title where the total number of posts (23,000 or so) is listed and then click that number.  A table will pop up with the number of posts by each participant in that thread's history. 

It's good that you've helped out the newbies since that's a large portion of what the thread is all about.  It can be a bit tiresome to answer the same stuff over and over for years though.  I've thought about putting together a kind of "Stax Beginner's Guide", but the combination of headphones and amps is too great to concisely organize it all.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:07 AM Post #212 of 3,322
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif
You definitely post there a ton...

For comparison, looking at the thread stats: you had 593 posts there and I had 323 posts there.  I've been posting in that thread pretty much since I joined HF(5.5 yrs ago); I *think* (correct me if I'm wrong) you started posting there in the last 9 months or so.  Think of it like density...things can start to sink
tongue.gif

Hey, I didnt know you could do stuff like that, cool, thanks! Hmmmm, I was in that thread for just over 3.5 years!

Quote:
Hey I don't post that much in the Stax thread except I admit the last 2 pages of off-topic non-sense davidsh started.

Just checked, and those posts on age, beer, etc were deleted so they're not counted in the 593.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #213 of 3,322
Sweet.

Yeah a beginners Stax guide does sound like a good idea but it will be a mammoth of a thread/task due to as you said all the combinations, headphones and amplifiers that can be setup. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:13 AM Post #214 of 3,322
Quote:
If you go to the index a thread is located in (High End Forum for the Stax thread), look to the right of the thread title where the total number of posts (23,000 or so) is listed and then click that number.  A table will pop up with the number of posts by each participant in that thread's history.

Didnt know you could do that either...  easier than the way I did it. I did a search by username as per the pic below... 

Aug 21, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #215 of 3,322
I'm not banned from the Stax thread, nor have I received a warning yet..
Quote:
Quote:
You (DefQon) and Tus-Chan.  Sorry for not being specific.

Hey I don't post that much in the Stax thread except I admit the last 2 pages of off-topic non-sense davidsh started.

Hey, don't throw mud, I doubt anyone was banned just because of 2 pages of OT. I kinda miss a not-administrated thread or something..

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #216 of 3,322
you're banned on the stax thread?
confused.gif

The "New Stax" thread is locked. Maybe that is your problem? :D
It was replaced by the "Stax thread III."

If anyone was banned from a thread I think the moderators would have informed them.

Aug 21, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #218 of 3,322
No I'm referring to Tus-Chan saying:

"I'd say something about it on the Stax thread, but I'm not allowed there anymore, for reasons I don't understand."

I'm confused! :xf_eek:

Tus-Chan, are you banned from Stax Thread III?

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:14 AM Post #220 of 3,322
I think getting back on topic would be nice - preferably on the topic of (Stax) electret stats vs regular (Stax) stats.

Tus was asking what it is that electrets lack that regular stats have, and no one took that up. I personally am not aware that regular stats have more than a potentially thinner diaphragm going for them (maybe more voltage, too?) - but even so, some electrets do have diaphragms that are as thin as those in regular stats.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #221 of 3,322
I'm happy that you guys are so concerned about me being banned from the thread or not, but I was really trying to avoid it turning into a huge discussion because I could get into a bunch of trouble for that as well (which is why I avoided saying it directly). You're not allowed to discuss moderation decisions on the board.

Yes, I'm banned there, and the way I was informed about it was, in my opinion, very personally hurtful, and unprofessional. But I don't really wanna make a big deal out of it because I'll just get in more trouble.
frown.gif

Back on course - I understand that electrets are lower on the Stax chain than electrostatics, but I'm curious as to exactly why they are mechanically inferior to electrostatics. What about the electret topology makes it so inferior to an electrostatic? Is is a disphram property, or the difference between a permanent magnet vs. an electromagnet? And what about said properties make them inferior?

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #222 of 3,322
I propose that the question be approached differently. Rather than conforming from the start to the artificial semantic partitioning of electret/electrostat, one should first come to terms with the fact that electrets are electrostats - the latter being an umbrella term. One can then be more critical in asking the question, having not pre-subscribed to the notion that there must be a fundamental difference and that any claims of difference would automatically be qualified on those grounds.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #223 of 3,322
I understand your concern, but essentially, I already knew that. The only difference between an "electrostat" and an "electret" is whether or not they permanently store the charge on the driver. I was only using those terms in order for my question to be more clear and concise.

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #224 of 3,322
I understand your concern, but essentially, I already knew that. The only difference between an "electrostat" and an "electret" is whether or not they permanently store the charge on the driver. I was only using those terms in order for my question to be more clear and concise.

I understand your question. I would guess the answer would be: does an Electret driver panel have to be any heavier than an Electrostatic driver panel? Is one heavier because the electret needs additional treatment or coating to hold the permanent charge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back