The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 19, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #991 of 3,155
I think people need to stop thinking of their own opinions so highly. We should just bow down to our audio gods at iBasso and firmly believe that a new firmware means better sound :D

Ha ha. Problem with some gods is that they play with us like children picking wings off flies for sport .

Another firmware change in 3 weeks with another sound sig change? :blink:

May 19, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #992 of 3,155
Another firmware change in 3 weeks with another sound sig change?
blink.gif

Some people enjoy rolling their op-amp chips - I'm still hoping iBasso will release a DX91 with rollable DAC chips
wink_face.gif

Until then, I guess we'll have to settle for russian-roulette firmware sound-sig changes

May 19, 2014 at 10:46 PM Post #994 of 3,155
Hi. A question to someone who has access to both the ibasso dx90 and the Frio x5. Which one of these players will play louder (with the same song & phones on the highest volume setting)? I have a scenario with using wireless earphones (with a Neck loop) where my current SanDisk sans clip plus on the highest volume setting is still too low. Ibsaao told me that the dx90 will play louder volume than the dx50. I was wondering between the ibasso and the Frio which one would play louder. Thank you.

May 19, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #995 of 3,155
Hi. A question to someone who has access to both the ibasso dx90 and the Frio x5. Which one of these players will play louder (with the same song & phones on the highest volume setting)? I have a scenario with using wireless earphones (with a Neck loop) where my current SanDisk sans clip plus on the highest volume setting is still too low. Ibsaao told me that the dx90 will play louder volume than the dx50. I was wondering between the ibasso and the Frio which one would play louder. Thank you.

X5 has higher output power but you don't need to max it even on DX90. They both play loud. I use DX90 to drive a 600 ohm headphone and it plays very loud without any hint of clipping.

Do you know the load impedance sensitivity of your earphone? DX90 or X5 should be able to handle it fine.

May 19, 2014 at 11:36 PM Post #996 of 3,155
A comparison I read on a Russian site stated that the DX90 was the better option for driving high impedance cans, apparently the X5 lost its composure when maxing the volume, becoming shrill. While the DX90 keeps its cool even at max volume.

May 20, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #997 of 3,155
I have both but haven't compared them head to head. What does surprise me about the DX90 is I can max the volume and it doesn't break-up and doesn't show any signs of clipping. I have a feeling that they could have gone with an even higher gain but you really do get everything out of the internal amp without any negatives, IMO. 

May 20, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #998 of 3,155

If your earphones are wireless its a different game altogether since they are probably active earphones with their own internal amplifier to drive them.

May 20, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #999 of 3,155

To be honest it depends what you wanna drive with either. Both are designed to be optimized for iems but cans I find both of them kind of anemic and an amp improves things tremendously. You got to remember those are portable players not desktop units. So I don't care that one tries to justify one or the other, the fact of the matter is they work on batteries and that is less powerful than being connected directly to the electrical power grid.

P.S.: the battery that initially comes with the DX90 has less power than the X5 but it's removable.

Hope that helps.

May 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM Post #1,000 of 3,155
P.S.: the battery that initially comes with the DX90 has less power than the X5 but it's removable.

Technically the DX90 battery has more power output being 3.8v, while X5 battery is 3.7v  
wink.gif
  I believe you meant the X5 battery has a larger capacity being 3700mAH while DX90 is 2100mAH. The battery capacity is unrelated to its power output, its the voltage that correlates to power output, but the difference of 0.1v is not going to change anything lol.

May 20, 2014 at 7:53 AM Post #1,001 of 3,155
Technically the DX90 battery has more power output being 3.8v, while X5 battery is 3.7v  :wink:   I believe you meant the X5 battery has a larger capacity being 3700mAH while DX90 is 2100mAH. The battery capacity is unrelated to its power output, its the voltage that correlates to power output, but the difference of 0.1v is not going to change anything lol.

Voltage by current is power or resistance by current square, besides what matters is runtime power requirement which also depends if you activate the screen and the internal electronic components while they perform their duty so it will be variable but otherwise good try! :wink:

May 20, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,002 of 3,155
Along the same lines of this daft battery conversation, one could argue that the battery is likely to perform better (and yield more of its charge) if it is kept warm - so that could be used as an argument for a DAP running longer if it runs hotter and thus less efficiently!
tongue.gif

May 20, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #1,003 of 3,155
Along the same lines of this daft battery conversation, one could argue that the battery is likely to perform better (and yield more of its charge) if it is kept warm - so that could be used as an argument for a DAP running longer if it runs hotter and thus less efficiently! :p  

You certainly have the knack to cut the conversation dead on it's track! :wink:

The size and power requirements are all weighted in when designing the player, unless you wanna have a fat portable blob you gotta cut short and thin on the battery dimensions but that also cuts short on the deliverable power.

Ok let's move on (another line that cuts short on the conversation lmao) :D

May 20, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,004 of 3,155
Heheh!  Well, we don't need to be uber-serious all the time, do we? DAPs are just a hobby.

I'd like to get into Koi carp, too, but these hobbies are always a slippery slope into potential uber-seriousness, geekdom, thousands of dollars being endlessly spent, divorces, etc. etc.

I'm just as guilty as anyone else here, but it's good to remember that it's all just a 1st world 'problem' and, for the most part, a battery is best viewed as just a battery, and maybe we should lighten-up and just have some fun/enjoyment every once in a while
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back