The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 18, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #976 of 3,155
Trying new 2.05.  GUI much better and front three buttons now work snappy as they should.  Still getting lots of grief with scanning...doesn't work unless using factory reset and then loading one directory folder at a time.  Ibasso, please fix this!

Hard to compare the sound from 2.00 to 2.05.  I'm not noticing a significant change on a quick listen.

May 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #977 of 3,155
Trying new 2.05.  GUI much better and front three buttons now work snappy as they should.  Still getting lots of grief with scanning...doesn't work unless using factory reset and then loading one directory folder at a time.  Ibasso, please fix this!

Hard to compare the sound from 2.00 to 2.05.  I'm not noticing a significant change on a quick listen.

I have no problems with scanning my mSD cards with either my DX90, X3, X5. It can take awhile depending on card size, but with the latest firmwares they always complete scanning and all of my media shows up.

May 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #978 of 3,155

Try to delete the  .audio_data there must be a corrupt entry which is preventing a complete scan. If this doesn't work, there must be a file with dirty tags. Some extra tags embedded in the files can cause scanning issues on DX50/90.

May 19, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #979 of 3,155

Try to delete the  .audio_data there must be a corrupt entry which is preventing a complete scan. If this doesn't work, there must be a file with dirty tags. Some extra tags embedded in the files can cause scanning issues on DX50/90.

wolfen68, you could do a search for m3u files on your micro SD card. I've read that the DX90 does not like stray m3us.

I've gone through my files *all of which are .flac with cover files listed as either cover.jpg or folder.jpg), and
1. re-named the song-title contents of any albums ripped with EAC in the old-days (pre my use of dbPoweramp) with prefixed 01, 02, 03 etc to correspond with track order, and
2. deleted the .log and the m3u entries. I'm having no difficulty whatsoever with scanning.

Might be worth a look to see if doing the same would work.

May 19, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #980 of 3,155
  wolfen68, you could do a search for m3u files on your micro SD card. I've read that the DX90 does not like stray m3us.

Might be worth a look to see if doing the same would work.

For me, I have deleted everything but music files, m3u playlists and cover images (as jpg).
Scanning works as a charm every time now.

May 19, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #981 of 3,155
How much as I love the sound of my DX90 I pulled out my iPod Video today and listened to some tracks with the crossfeed function of rockbox enabled and it just sounds so much more relaxed using that option. I hope iBasso will be able to implement a crossfeed option in their firmware. Do you guys think this is possible or do we have to wait and see if rockbox will get a release for the DX90?

edit: I have sent iBasso an email regarding this with a link to the Bauer stereophonic-to-binaural DSP, I have also asked if it's possible for them to implement multiple sound signatures in one firmware so people can use the newest firware bt keet the 2.0.0 or 2.0.5 sound signature. To top it off I have also asked them if it's possible to maybe make some parameters of the sound customizable. I will keep you posted.

May 19, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #983 of 3,155
I really hate the idea that firmware releases change the sound sig.

Even if its changing for the better? iBasso take their time experimenting, always trying to make the sound and features better through firmwares. Do you realise that iBasso probably could get away with just leaving their daps at their original firmware (if fairly bug free like DX90), but instead they choose to continually improve everything. I see it as a very good thing and shows how seriously iBasso take their products and customers.

May 19, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #986 of 3,155
As we have seen, what is better for some is worse for others

May 19, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #987 of 3,155

The problem becomes 'what is better?'

I think people need to stop thinking of their own opinions so highly. We should just bow down to our audio gods at iBasso and firmly believe that a new firmware means better sound 
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2014 at 7:17 AM Post #989 of 3,155
I think people need to stop thinking of their own opinions so highly. We should just bow down to our audio gods at iBasso and firmly believe that a new firmware means better sound :D

Good luck with that tought :D

I'm an agnostic audiophile.

So are you saying you area AAA (audiophile agnostic association) type of guy? Lmao :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back