The DX90 by iBasso . . . Sound impressions . . . . . . . New Firmware, 2.5.1 . . .
May 20, 2014 at 8:29 AM Post #1,006 of 3,155
I think the Koi slope is slipperier than most others.

Are you taking the pisce?
etysmile.gif

Joking aside, you may be right, but the point still stands. We all (including me) need to lighten-up a bit, sometimes.

May 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,007 of 3,155
Hi. Thank you for your replies. It's very interesting that the DX90 can go to max volume without clipping. (Is the DX50 also like that?) I don't believe the wireless earpiece I'm using has its own amp as its this tiny thing that goes into the ear. It works through a neck loop which plugs into the headphone jack of the player and sends a wireless magnetic signal which the earpiece picks up. This signal isn't powerful so it results in a low volume, but it does get louder or lower based on the volume setting of the player. It's just that the highest volume setting of the Sansa Clip is still too low. I was thinking with the extra power of these players I would be able to get a louder volume on the earpiece. I was wondering if the DX90 or the X5 would be better for this. Thank you to all of you for your interest. Any info would be appreciated.

May 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #1,008 of 3,155
Are you taking the pisce? :etysmile:

:D Very nice.

Mython said:
  Joking aside, you may be right, but the point still stands. We all (including me) need to lighten-up a bit, sometimes.

You are correct, a lot of people pour their heart and sole into the discussions here. Not me though! I prefer to flounder around, seemingly without porpoise - even if I sometimes come across as a clown, I always try to have a whale of a time.

disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware they are mammals but I look forwards to your corrective replies.

May 20, 2014 at 9:04 AM Post #1,009 of 3,155
disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware they are mammals but I look forwards to your corrective replies.

Oh, I don't think there's any need to 'school' you, so I 'shoal' just overlook it.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone here hooked-up their DX90 to a fullsize hi-fi yet? I'd be interested to know how it performs when heard through fullsize loudspeakers.

May 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,010 of 3,155

In other words, whatever is coming out of the player is being transmitted to the earpiece, and since it's a weak signal it results in a less powerful and much lower volume on the earpiece. Therefore I'm assuming that a more powerful player with a higher volume setting will result in a adequate volume level on the earpiece.

May 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,011 of 3,155
In other words, whatever is coming out of the player is being transmitted to the earpiece, and since it's a weak signal it results in a less powerful and much lower volume on the earpiece. Therefore I'm assuming that a more powerful player with a higher volume setting will result in a adequate volume level on the earpiece.

Perhaps you can share what earpieces they are so we can have a better understanding? If they are really wireless then they have to have their own power source and amp. I just cannot see how earpieces can be POWERED wirelessly :) unless of course i'm wrong :p but then in this day and age with all this tech, I may very well be!

May 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #1,012 of 3,155
biggrin.gif
Very nice.

You are correct, a lot of people pour their heart and sole into the discussions here. Not me though! I prefer to flounder around, seemingly without porpoise - even if I sometimes come across as a clown, I always try to have a whale of a time.

May 20, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #1,013 of 3,155
Just out of curiosity, has anyone here hooked-up their DX90 to a fullsize hi-fi yet? I'd be interested to know how it performs when heard through fullsize loudspeakers.

Not full-size hifi, but just messing around I've run it through a vintage Pioneer to some psb desktops and used it to feed a ZD for full size headphones. Sounds great.

May 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #1,014 of 3,155

It's the Phonak Phonito Nano wireless earpiece used with a neck loop which you wear as a necklace under your clothes and connects to your player. I was also surprised when I first heard about it but it really works.

May 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #1,015 of 3,155
I have connected the DX90's line out to my amp and speakers (MC systems M3) which is a pretty hifi setup. De DX90 sounds more detailed than the DAC in my HK3490 stereo amp. It has a AKM AK4384 DAC which is pretty good on it's own but still perishes next to the DX90's line out. The things that struck me immediately were: deeper and more controlled low end and just some more sparkle on the high end. The bright DX90 pairs well with Harman Kardon's warm sound.

May 20, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #1,017 of 3,155
It's the Phonak Phonito Nano wireless earpiece used with a neck loop which you wear as a necklace under your clothes and connects to your player. I was also surprised when I first heard about it but it really works.

Very interesting. That's a portable inductive loop system. The same technology as is used in many public places to link with hearing aids

May 20, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #1,019 of 3,155
Very interesting. That's a portable inductive loop system. The same technology as is used in many public places to link with hearing aids

That should come as little surprise, given that Phonak are first and foremost a company aimed at hearing aid devices. Pity they're (apparently) withdrawing from the hi-fi marketplace, particularly as their IEMs were very well received.

May 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,020 of 3,155

Oh, I don't think there's any need to 'school' you, so I 'shoal' just overlook it.

Does a fine job, better than my Sonos streamer (44/16 Flac) and Oppo Bluray streaming (Hires). I initially thought the X5 did better, but with volume full on via Line Out I found its much the same once I made an analogue input voltage adjustment on my Processor.
Into a Tag McLaren Processor, Rel Sub and PMC GB1s, Goes up a further level on both as just a transport, using Digital out into my Rega Dac (full size model, not Hugo).

I now have to keep both DAPs as one is permanently connected to my hifi :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back