The do and don't - Arranging head-fi meets
Sep 30, 2011 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Loevhagen

1000+ Head-Fier
So, what are the "do and don't" when arranging head-fi meets? What are the lowlights and highlights one should be prepared of?

Any piece of advice from the crowd on the forum are appreciated. :)

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #2 of 14
Plan early, and know the limits of space in your venue. Would you be able to upgrade to another space if more than expected come, or is the limit defined?

Also, if you have food/drinks, it's probably best to have them tucked in a nice place away from the equipment, and emphasize a no food/drink near the equipment.

That's all I have off the top, from reading other threads.

Sep 30, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks. Noted. :)

Keep 'em coming. I guess I'm not the only one that want a knowledge base on this topic. 

Stating "the obvious" is also permitted...

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #4 of 14
  1. Money money money. Budgeting is quite hard as people will always bail right before the meet. Make the costs super clear if you don't want to be left paying for the whole thing yourself.
  2. Send out a lot of PMs or emails to keep everyone in the loop.
  3. Have a, "you break it, you buy it" policy.
  4. Make sure you get a big room. It's pretty hard listening to some gear when you can hear someone playing Slayer at 11.
  5. Power cords! You will need plenty.

Sep 30, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Also maybe have a free table. Everybody brings something to give and pick up something maybe. Plan an aftermeet. Sometimes it has been easier to answer questions when everybody is sitting at a table with food and beverage. assemble a crew to help set up and tear down. I give an hour before the meet to ask everyone to pack up. I will give more thoughts when the come to me. Some things are just automatic up here.

Give clear and concise directions and a phone number just in case someone gets lost or needs help with something.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 14
Write in the main post or something inviting newcomers. I know when I was a newcomer to my first meet, I was very reluctant to sign up for a spot simply because I didn't have anything.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Write in the main post or something inviting newcomers. I know when I was a newcomer to my first meet, I was very reluctant to sign up for a spot simply because I didn't have anything.

And encourage them to bring their gear. No way to know what works or what doesn't with their gear.

Sep 30, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 14
Especially since they might find something magical with their gear. Also, meets are nice if there are a variety of stuff ranging from high end, to more portable on the go stuff, but that's a matter of the people who go there. Also, don't put pressure on people who don't have any gear. I know at the meet in SD, someone didn't have anything, and was mainly looking to see what could be his first solid purchase.

Oct 1, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #9 of 14
First, everyone is welcome. New or old, gear or no gear.

Second, there isn't a set admission cost. Longstanding tradition and policy is to "pass the hat" to cover room expenses.

Be explicit about the room cost. People will step up to help out. I haven't seen a meet where the costs weren't covered. If there's a shortfall, let the Staff know. Head-Fi has helped out a few times, but, usually, it gets covered.

If there's extra cash, send it along as a donation to Jude to help with operating expenses here.

After the meet, go out to dinner as a group. Lots of fun!

I can't find it now, but look in the CanJam threads for guidelines on handling gear. Off the top of my head, treat all gear as if it were your own. Ask permission before moving gear around. (People will want to try X headphones on Y amp; I always OK it, but I want to know first.) Shower before attending and do NOT use hair products or wear a fragrance.

What else... oh yeah, find a good place for lunch, call in a group order and have someone bring it back. Which reminds me, strictly keep all food and drink out of the listening area.

Finally, even if you are new, have no gear, and are nervous, go anyway. There will be plenty of gear to go around and you really need to meet people and listen to stuff.

Oct 1, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #10 of 14
http://www.head-fi.org/t/540416/head-fi-uk-meet-02-04-2011-london

Check out the first three posts of the above thread, it details how we went about organising the national UK meet back in April.

Having a list of all the gear and attendees at the beginning of a meet organising thread helps attract more people as they can see all the great gear that's going to be at the meet.

We were very lucky to get a sponsor for the meet who paid for the venue. This took away all the financial hassles - a big relief!

Depending on how big a meet you're planning to organise, set up the thread well in advance of the intended date. This means more people will be able to attend because they won't be booked up already and it gives you more time to fine a suitable venue. If you're planning a large meet finding a suitable venue in budget, in a good location (i.e. accessible via public transport, near a hotel, etc.) with enough plug sockets distributed around the room and tables and chairs can take some time (and a lot of effort).

Trying to accommodate every one is basically impossible and at the least very time consuming!

Fundamentally, for a meet to actually happen you need someone who is willing to put in the effort to organise it (a time consuming job) and drive things forward.

Nov 1, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #11 of 14
Previous comments to this thread pretty well cover it - here's a few more things to consider:
  1. hold a raffle to help cover costs for the meet.  This is where some DIY'ers can make a contribution
  2. speaking of DIY - have some meet attendees put on a demonstration such as making your own cables
  3. confirm what sources are going to be prevalent - computer audio (laptops), or CD audio etc.
  4. as already mentioned, you'll need lots of power strips and someone always is short on cables
  5. the masses always need to be fed, so figure out how you're going to address food - order pizza in, or pot luck or head out somewhere after the meet
  6. have name tags ready and ensure that all attendees identify themselves by name and head-fi handle
  7. be sure to have some photographers - pics after the meet and posted here are always welcome
  8. be sure the host has a chance to get around and do their own listening and trying out systems

May 13, 2015 at 1:29 AM Post #12 of 14
One thing to add, sometimes attendee will like to invite MOT's just because. When they have no idea the works of the meet. Trust me. It has happened more to me than anyone else. Ask that if anyone wants to invite a MOT to go through the organizer. Because they know the venue and if there are any special needs the organizer can accommodate.

May 17, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 14
So, what are the "do and don't" when arranging head-fi meets? What are the lowlights and highlights one should be prepared of?

Any piece of advice from the crowd on the forum are appreciated. :)
if it hasn't been said before, make sure there are plenty of seats and have designated areas for certain people's equipment to make things organized. Finally, make name tags! It makes it social!

Jun 25, 2015 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 14
here's some good info http://www.head-fi.org/t/757025/how-to-organize-your-own-meet-general-advice-thread

I have organized 5 local meets, 2 at my home, 1 at my County Club and the 2 at a Motel so I have some experience.
If you have questions send me a PM. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back