The DIY'rs Cookbook
Apr 13, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #1,052 of 1,974
  I'd be surprised if someone like Digikey even sells an 18awg pre-crimped wire since the pins are only rated at 22awg max (I haven't checked).

However, if you have the means, and for the cost of 4' of 18awg wire, you could determine that yourself (experimenting on your own is part of the fun). I really doubt you'll hear any differences though.

I was thinking of making them myself in 18-20 awg. Right now I will leave it as it is, maybe I will check it out as a future project. Still very, very happy with the sq and the converting - this is only the 3 time or so I have soldered in my live 
smile.gif

Apr 13, 2017 at 5:26 AM Post #1,053 of 1,974
Practice first for 20 mins on bits of wire. Lots of flux. A top tip to reduce soldering time.
Use the wife's hair dryer to increase the temp of the area you are going to solder. 3mins ect.
Any pins re tin (pins posts with new solder) And some flux.

Great to practice on old broken tvs just a small piece of PCB.
Sorry if you know...
Good luck
Dave

Apr 13, 2017 at 7:47 AM Post #1,054 of 1,974

Thanks for the tips
Practice first for 20 mins on bits of wire. Lots of flux. A top tip to reduce soldering time.
Use the wife's hair dryer to increase the temp of the area you are going to solder. 3mins ect.
Any pins re tin (pins posts with new solder) And some flux.

Great to practice on old broken tvs just a small piece of PCB.
Sorry if you know...
Good luck
Dave

Thanks for the tips 
smile.gif

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #1,055 of 1,974
Duelund Tinned Copper hookup wire experiment is a success. 
Overall improvements to SQ - more tone color and natural timbre and tone. Dynamics slightly elevated. 

A great upgrade to my ears - this wire is worth a look.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,056 of 1,974
  Duelund Tinned Copper hookup wire experiment is a success. 
Overall improvements to SQ - more tone color and natural timbre and tone. Dynamics slightly elevated. 

A great upgrade to my ears - this wire is worth a look.

I meant to ask, what were the design goals for this type of wire, and what metallurgy is being used?

I went to the site and there were scant details available.

JJ

Apr 18, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,058 of 1,974
Thanks for those links, it helps put this wire into perspective.

And for some systems I can see where this wire would be of benefit, still the details of its composition remain a bit obscure.

I've been looking into metallurgy of late and these days tin over copper is not a 'common' configuration for sure.

I also found it interesting that he uses a Cable Cooker to help 'settle in' the wires.
I also use a Cable Cooker and heartily endorse it's use as well.

JJ

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #1,060 of 1,974
I'd be interested in what your findings are for sure.

JJ

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #1,061 of 1,974
Status report.

I just added a 2nd Mutec box, a 3+usb version this time to the system.
And a veil descended over the presentation.
I figure its due to the SMPS in the new arrival since this veil was eclipsed when I replaced the SMPS in my other 3+.

So I look forward to yanking it out and powering it from the unused half of the dual LPS I recently put into service.
This will add yet further confirmation of the effectiveness of using a LPS vs. SMPS.

And I've been measuring my 800's and fussing with the knobs of my mod I've been applying, and thus far the results I'm getting are most encouraging, both acoustically and based upon the squiggles on paper I'm generating.

Interesting Times in Audio Indeed… 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 19, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #1,062 of 1,974
It's the smps in the 3+ usb for sure that's adding the veil = noise. And yes, you can use 5v with the 3+ usb as I have found out.
I also just added another 3+ usb to the chain and modded it with lps.

If I can go to the next upcoming meet, (not sure yet if I could) then you can listen to the rig and see if you hear any diffrence.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:07 AM Post #1,063 of 1,974
  It's the smps in the 3+ usb for sure that's adding the veil = noise. And yes, you can use 5v with the 3+ usb as I have found out.
I also just added another 3+ usb to the chain and modded it with lps.

If I can go to the next upcoming meet, (not sure yet if I could) then you can listen to the rig and see if you hear any diffrence.

Does adding a second Mutiec which I guess will reclock the stream help the SQ. If it does, I wonder how that is happening, as if the single Mutec is working ok won't it simply confuse or conflict?

It is fascinating. And if it does help, I wonder why dCS and others haven't used clocks in series.

Apr 19, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #1,064 of 1,974
Daisy chaining Mutec's in reclock mode lowers the jitter before feeding to the dac.
You can read up on it here https://www.mutec-net.com/artikel.php?id=1388254422

When that guy was experimenting on it, he was using the non-usb Mutec's.
The Mutec usb is said to be comparable to 3 non-usb version cascaded together.

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,065 of 1,974
Just a little bit of an update and I am glad to see the internal mods are going great all.
I did get an Uptone LPS 1 supply in advance of the Uptone Iso coming out in a week or so. I have the Intona feeding my dac with battery 5v line.
The uptone blew that out the water in clarity both top and bottom. Perceived noise floor opened up new sounds.
I cheated with an ifi idefender with a mini usb port to bypass incoming 5v and swapped the usb2 to mini with a DC female to mini. Really suprised it woke the intona up even with its slightly noisy side out.
Expensive option but worth the price. Can't wait to see what the upgraded Regen...Iso does too.
Good luck with the modding
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back