The DIY'rs Cookbook
Apr 10, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #1,036 of 1,974
deleted.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #1,037 of 1,974
Just finished my lps converting. First of my 16R would not connect to my network. I think I used almost 1 hour disconnecting and connecting my FMCs, no luck. Finally that one of the cables was lose. Connected and ethernet on! 

I think my Rednet 16 R is a little different than your Rednet 3s and 16s because it uses 7 volt and to be sure I messured it to 7 volt. An other thing is that my both ps (Rednet 16 R has 2 originaly) uses a 10 position Conn Housing, but only with 8 cables connected. Since I orderd a 8 position one I had to slightly modify it. 

So, what about the sound? It is Fantastic! Only 30 min of playing and the jump in sound quality is a massive. It is more dynamic and at the same time smoother. Highly recommend.

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #1,038 of 1,974
  Just finished my lps converting. First of my 16R would not connect to my network. I think I used almost 1 hour disconnecting and connecting my FMCs, no luck. Finally that one of the cables was lose. Connected and ethernet on! 

I think my Rednet 16 R is a little different than your Rednet 3s and 16s because it uses 7 volt and to be sure I messured it to 7 volt. An other thing is that my both ps (Rednet 16 R has 2 originaly) uses a 10 position Conn Housing, but only with 8 cables connected. Since I orderd a 8 position one I had to slightly modify it. 

So, what about the sound? It is Fantastic! Only 30 min of playing and the jump in sound quality is a massive. It is more dynamic and at the same time smoother. Highly recommend.

Awesome!

Apr 11, 2017 at 6:58 PM Post #1,039 of 1,974

Nice work!  
beerchug.gif

Apr 12, 2017 at 12:28 AM Post #1,040 of 1,974

smile.gif
Quote:

Nice work!  
beerchug.gif

Thanks Golfnutz and Alex 
smile.gif
 . It sounds so clean its almost scary, never heard this body and level of details before. It must be because the noize its all gone now.

When connecting the harness with the Conn Housing and the pre-crimped 22 AWG jumpers I also disconnected the other PS from my main board, just in case it could ad some noize.

One thing maybe you guys can help me with, will the 22 AWG cable be enough? Is there any benefit to use a 18 AWG cable e.g?

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #1,041 of 1,974

smile.gif
Quote:

Nice work!  
beerchug.gif

Thanks Golfnutz and Alex 
smile.gif
 . It sounds so clean its almost scary, never heard this body and level of details before. It must be because the noize its all gone now.

When connecting the harness with the Conn Housing and the pre-crimped 22 AWG jumpers I also disconnected the other PS from my main board, just in case it could ad some noize.

One thing maybe you guys can help me with, will the 22 AWG cable be enough? Is there any benefit to use a 18 AWG cable e.g?

Congrats and enjoy. My Rednet 3 is in another world completely.

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:53 AM Post #1,042 of 1,974

Excellent Indeed…!

And it's ALWAYS a good idea to check the stock operating conditions BEFORE surgery begins.
And I agree that the step up in SQ is most welcome and revealing and wonderful.

JJ

Apr 12, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #1,043 of 1,974
And speaking of "the step up in SQ is most welcome and revealing and wonderful".
My system is showing signs of reaching for it's SQ peak.

And I just completed my latest round of 800 modification experiments.

I've hit gen 3+ for my 800 mod.
I still have some tweaking to do, which may take it to gen 4, time will tell.

But Boy Howdy is it ringing all the bells it supposed to…

All the usual phrases and terms I use in these situations are making themselves known.

JJ

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,044 of 1,974

Thanks Golfnutz and Alex 
smile.gif

I'd be surprised if someone like Digikey even sells an 18awg pre-crimped wire since the pins are only rated at 22awg max (I haven't checked).

However, if you have the means, and for the cost of 4' of 18awg wire, you could determine that yourself (experimenting on your own is part of the fun). I really doubt you'll hear any differences though.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,045 of 1,974
  And speaking of "the step up in SQ is most welcome and revealing and wonderful".
My system is showing signs of reaching for it's SQ peak.

And I just completed my latest round of 800 modification experiments.

I've hit gen 3+ for my 800 mod.
I still have some tweaking to do, which may take it to gen 4, time will tell.

But Boy Howdy is it ringing all the bells it supposed to…

All the usual phrases and terms I use in these situations are making themselves known.

JJ

Ha Ha, it sounds like you are taking happy pills, or more like thoroughly enjoying your sound system! I think the big deal with this hobby is the enjoyment and emotional connection it can give you to music, it is good for the soul for sure. It lifts the mood so to speak. And taking away all those digital nasties I have suffered from 30 years of CD players and then various DACs, I can finally say my DAC and HPs sound like, err - VINYL!!

Ridiculous isn't it, how I have spent all this money and time and tweaking, trying different gear out, buying and selling on AGon, then to finally refer back to an old school record player and how that connected ME to the music? When this happens, I can finally forget the gear, and chill out too the music, imagine the illusion of the performance in my room, which is what's it's all about - YES.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,046 of 1,974
Has anyone tested the latest Duelund Tinned Copper hookup wire?

I grabbed a good length of the stuff - 16GA - when it was discounted.
I first upgraded the internal wiring of my speakers (98db Lore) and had some success. Next, I ran it as speaker wire. I really dig the additional tone and harmonic complexity I'm getting. 

To the point of this thread...
So, I used a bit of the left over wire to re-wire my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 headamp- only from the OT's to the headphone jack. It's 26 strand wire, so not sure I'd want to venture further in with such large wire.

Don't expect much...I'll know soon...but am listening now and I feel like I am hearing more of the tone and timbre I want. 
Too soon - could be wishful thinking. 

Overall, an inexpensive experiment - $6.99 per meter at the time, though I think it's now $9.99/m - when comparing to high-end speaker cable prices.

Apr 12, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,047 of 1,974
  Has anyone tested the latest Duelund Tinned Copper hookup wire?

I grabbed a good length of the stuff - 16GA - when it was discounted.
I first upgraded the internal wiring of my speakers (98db Lore) and had some success. Next, I ran it as speaker wire. I really dig the additional tone and harmonic complexity I'm getting. 

To the point of this thread...
So, I used a bit of the left over wire to re-wire my Bottlehead SEX 2.1 headamp- only from the OT's to the headphone jack. It's 26 strand wire, so not sure I'd want to venture further in with such large wire.

Don't expect much...I'll know soon...but am listening now and I feel like I am hearing more of the tone and timbre I want. 
Too soon - could be wishful thinking. 

Overall, an inexpensive experiment - $6.99 per meter at the time, though I think it's now $9.99/m - when comparing to high-end speaker cable prices.

I first heard about the Western Electric NOS tinned copper wire and then the Duelund reissue on Jeff Day's blog. I liked the WE wire so much that I rewired my speakers with it and then ran it to my amp. I then got the Duelund 16ga wire and did the same with a newer version of my Omega Audio single driver speakers.

Next I read that Jeff was also having success making IC's from it. Duelund then came out with a 16ga version that sounded better and was easier to work with for IC's.

I have basically now run Duelund from my drivers to my amp and made all of my IC's with it. It does keep breaking in for a while but it has a wonderfully detailed yet natural tonality.

I would say it was not just big bang-for-the buck but remarkable in an absolute sense. My Microzotl 2 and MZ10 are quite new otherwise I would probably rewire them also.

Apr 12, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #1,048 of 1,974
I first heard about the Western Electric NOS tinned copper wire and then the Duelund reissue on Jeff Day's blog. I liked the WE wire so much that I rewired my speakers with it and then ran it to my amp. I then got the Duelund 16ga wire and did the same with a newer version of my Omega Audio single driver speakers.

Next I read that Jeff was also having success making IC's from it. Duelund then came out with a 16ga version that sounded better and was easier to work with for IC's.

I have basically now run Duelund from my drivers to my amp and made all of my IC's with it. It does keep breaking in for a while but it has a wonderfully detailed yet natural tonality.

I would say it was not just big bang-for-the buck but remarkable in an absolute sense. My Microzotl 2 and MZ10 are quite new otherwise I would probably rewire them also.

I also read about the Duelund wire on Jeff Days site.
I agree, it is dynamic, natural and detailed sounding.

The IC's are on my list! I am currently using the Belden 8402 interconnects and like those alot.

I'm listening now on 'phones and that same character is coming through.

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:18 PM Post #1,049 of 1,974

Ha Ha, it sounds like you are taking happy pills, or more like thoroughly enjoying your sound system! I think the big deal with this hobby is the enjoyment and emotional connection it can give you to music, it is good for the soul for sure. It lifts the mood so to speak. And taking away all those digital nasties I have suffered from 30 years of CD players and then various DACs, I can finally say my DAC and HPs sound like, err - VINYL!!

Ridiculous isn't it, how I have spent all this money and time and tweaking, trying different gear out, buying and selling on AGon, then to finally refer back to an old school record player and how that connected ME to the music? When this happens, I can finally forget the gear, and chill out too the music, imagine the illusion of the performance in my room, which is what's it's all about - YES.

Happy pills, HAPPY PILLS I don't need no stink'n Happy Pills, I gots me a tweako playback system… 
atsmile.gif

When my system is hitting its peak and I start hearing very familiar music with new acoustic aspects and new subtle (and some not so subtle) nuances, I just smile and shake my head at what is truly possible now.

Revelatory is a word that comes to mind.

And today while listening to my cheap speakers, I'm hearing these same aspects as well, which just further reinforces to me that the system is reaching for its peak SQ potential.

I gots me some fer REAL Happy Pills and no prescription required…
But then again it ain't exactly off the shelf either…
atsmile.gif

JJ

Apr 12, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #1,050 of 1,974
I also read about the Duelund wire on Jeff Days site.
I agree, it is dynamic, natural and detailed sounding.

The IC's are on my list! I am currently using the Belden 8402 interconnects and like those alot.

I'm listening now on 'phones and that same character is coming through.

The IC's that I am replacing are the 8402's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back