The DIY'rs Cookbook
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:42 AM Post #841 of 1,974

Will try and see if that is the case when I do the mods. I will buy a fuse holder just in case. May be a part number on the IEC block Rednet has used?

I have just ordered a filtered IEC block which includes a fuse holder from hificollective. Standoffs, shrink wrap and XH connector is from digikey.

The reason I say this is because the IEC connector is an all metal fully encased housing with the ground connection tied to the housing.
This is usually the sign of RFI/EMI shielding and since this is a pro-audio piece they usually do everything they can to keep the noise level as low as possible.

JJ

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #842 of 1,974
  Ha Ha, you are right there. Here is my first foray building an Audio Note DAC 3.1 kit. Later I built the 4.1 kit and then modded almost all of it....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649947/check-out-my-audio-note-dac-3-1-se-build

The later:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/r-2r-audio-note-digital-analogue-converter-4-1-diy-and-modifications-optimizations-or-enhancements-made-standard-audio-equipment-26693/

Then later (new I/Vs and digital board)

Excuse the loom, but it sounded remarkable after all the mods. The I/Vs were Audio Note UK 496s bought from an owner who didn't need then anymore.
And the digital board was an AN UK PCB (blank). I had to stuff it.

Nice job!
I see that you used a sufficiently large case which makes future mods MUCH easier…!

And it is always gratifying when a project comes out with few (if any) surprises AND results is a step up in SQ to boot. 
atsmile.gif

JJ 

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:48 AM Post #843 of 1,974
Feb 22, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #844 of 1,974

Will try and see if that is the case when I do the mods. I will buy a fuse holder just in case. May be a part number on the IEC block Rednet has used?

I have just ordered a filtered IEC block which includes a fuse holder from hificollective. Standoffs, shrink wrap and XH connector is from digikey.

The reason I say this is because the IEC connector is an all metal fully encased housing with the ground connection tied to the housing.
This is usually the sign of RFI/EMI shielding and since this is a pro-audio piece they usually do everything they can to keep the noise level as low as possible.

JJ

I bought this. Think it is a similar unit.

RF Filtered IEC Inlet Socket with Fuse

cee22_350.jpg

General purpose filter with a fuse holder providing effective EMI suppression of both line-to-line and line-to-ground noise. 250 Fasten terminals. 6 Amp 125/250VAC. Wire connection is by 6.3mm faston terminals, or you can solder directly (prefered method).

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #845 of 1,974
Hmmmm.....

That receptacle doesn't look like the proper style for the Rednet 3, looks closer to the D16 type receptacle. Even for the D16, I doubt it would work because the size looks too tall (required for the fuse).

Just my observation, I'm sure you've checked it all out. I suppose if the screws line up you can use the D16 style (maybe they are the same - D16 mounted on the outside, and Rednet 3 from the inside), just not sure about the height though.

Rednet 3 - square shaped

Rednet D16 - more rectangular

Based on a JJ photo, can't really tell if there's a flange or not, doesn't look like it though.

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #846 of 1,974
  Hmmmm.....

That receptacle doesn't look like the proper style for the Rednet 3, looks closer to the D16 type receptacle. Even for the D16, I doubt it would work because the size looks too tall (required for the fuse).

Yes you are correct. I thought the same. I am cool about cutting a deeper hole and 2 new screw holes, no worries. It just means I can avoid the separate fuse holder, and I quite like fuses on the IEC inlet. 

Keep us posted how you get on with your mods Golfnutz. I did other mods to my system this week and things hotting up really nicely (better).

1. Bi-wired my horn speakers 
Thought it was snake oil. I can hear it isn't especially at lower volume levels and me being extreme near field is a good thing.

2. Fitted Duelund Copper Cast capacitors on the line stage of my Audio Note DAC 5
Amazing capacitors, right away more natural music, no hint it is digital. Crazy money though, but worth it for sure as bigger change than swopping tubes.

Looking forward to Tidal and MQA next.....

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #847 of 1,974
So I added a pic of the bottom of the RN3 showing the changes due to adding the internal LPS along with the new larger stick on feet.

And I'll be posting about my dual channel LPS I'm putting together, but for now here's a teaser.

I'm just waiting on the case (which is the size of the outline on the background piece of paper).

JJ

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #848 of 1,974
JJ

So while I'm waiting for the LPS parts for the RN3 to arrive, the LPS for the Mutec came in yesterday and I was able to rig the Mutec MC3+ USB with a DC input jack on the back and so far I like what I am hearing. More of that REALNESS. And I'm sure that it will improve even more with burn-in. It amazes me how the system keeps on scaling up by replacing the smps with all LPS.

I also put in another order for the same LPS to replace the smps wall-wart of the Antelope Live Clock. So by the time of the next meet, all the source equipment will be running on LPS's.

Yeah JJ, we are having some fun now!

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #849 of 1,974
  JJ

So while I'm waiting for the LPS parts for the RN3 to arrive, the LPS for the Mutec came in yesterday and I was able to rig the Mutec MC3+ USB with a DC input jack on the back and so far I like what I am hearing. More of that REALNESS. And I'm sure that it will improve even more with burn-in. It's amazes me how the system keeps on scaling up by replacing the smps with all LPS.

I also put in another order for the same LPS to replace the smps wall-wart of the Antelope Live Clock. So by the time of the next meet, all the source equipment will be running on LPS's.

Yeah JJ, we are having some fun now!

Since you're using a DC input jack, I'll assume you don't have an earth ground connected.

There was some discussion on CA about this potentially being an issue (Mutec 3+ forum).

If your LPS has an earth ground, have you tried doing a simple test by connecting another wire from each of the earth grounds on the LPS and Mutec to see if it makes any difference?

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:00 AM Post #850 of 1,974
  Since you're using a DC input jack, I'll assume you don't have an earth ground connected.

There was some discussion on CA about this potentially being an issue (Mutec 3+ forum).

If your LPS has an earth ground, have you tried doing a simple test by connecting another wire from each of the earth grounds on the LPS and Mutec to see if it makes any difference?

Have not read about that potential issue. If it is about noise on the ground plane, I can assure you that I am hearing a black background deprived of any noise.

I also use an Akiko Stick connected to the free rca jack on the Mutec which help a lot in absorbing any noise riding in the ground plane.

Feb 24, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #851 of 1,974

Have not read about that potential issue. If it is about noise on the ground plane, I can assure you that I am hearing a black background deprived of any noise.

I also use an Akiko Stick connected to the free rca jack on the Mutec which help a lot in absorbing any noise riding in the ground plane.

Maybe JJ could offer some opinions on this subject (floating ground, ground loops, stray noise). Especially for DC feeding AC designed circuit.

Was referring to this comment. Not the ground plane (if this is what you mean 0v '-' DC wire - common/ground), but earth ground (yellow/green wire).

The internal picture of the Mutec show it's using earth ground. My understanding is you've created a floating ground to a circuit that was intended to be earth grounded. To see if there's really any difference, you could do a simple test and run an external ground wire from the LPS to the Mutec  Not a big deal, was just wondering...

I believe he was referring to this modification. I assume this would be basically the same net result as you did.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #852 of 1,974
I did the Mutec LPS mod based on this http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3653

I left the smps intact and just soldered wires on both the + and - connections. Pulled out the USB module since I don't use that and mounted the DC barrel jack in that square usb hole on the back of the Mutec.

JJ can vouch for the use of the Akiko's since we are heavily into tweaking our systems and the Akiko's are 1 of the major tweaks we implemented.

Feb 24, 2017 at 3:44 PM Post #853 of 1,974
  I did the Mutec LPS mod based on this http://www.tirnahifi.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3653

I left the smps intact and just soldered wires on both the + and - connections. Pulled out the USB module since I don't use that and mounted the DC barrel jack in that square usb hole on the back of the Mutec.

JJ can vouch for the use of the Akiko's since we are heavily into tweaking our systems and the Akiko's are 1 of the major tweaks we implemented.

Actually, the photo of the earth ground wire I posted is from that website. If I were to get the Mutec, I would do the exact same mod as you, except I would try to use smooth jaw alligator clips instead of soldering directly to the board. In addition, I would probably include earth ground from an LPS the same way I'm doing my Rednet D16 mod.

Sorry, I don't know about the Akiko and how it relates to earth ground. Earth ground may not even be an issue - I was just wondering if there was any difference with/or without earth ground. I think it's important for anyone else thinking of doing these types of changes to know exactly what the person did. It could be that without the Akiko, the mod may not be as affective (as in my previous post with Ulli's comments).

So thanks for the additional comments.

Feb 25, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #854 of 1,974
My take on earth ground is a bit complex and I'm still gathering info and investigating.

My previous posts about the noise on ground as measured in the FMC (Fiber Media Converter) and my RN3 tells me that digital circuits, of any type, make lots of noise that does make its way to the ground plane.

And once there it will propagate to other devices over the common ground wiring.

This is where the Akiko sticks come into play along with substituting LPS's for SMPS's and even using ferrite donuts on the ac mains power cable, etc.

That is one of the reasons for measuring the noise on ground and on the +5Vdc in my RN3 while using both the SMPS and LPS.

Thus far my experiments have focused upon 3 different areas of noise 'control', and are ranked thusly…
#1 Generate less noise (LPS instead of SMPS).
#2 Absorb (act like a sponge) as much noise on the ground plane as possible (Akiko sticks).
#3 Block the propagation of the noise that gets dumped on the ground plane from spreading (ferrite chokes on the ac power cables).

I am uncertain how much (as in a quantifiable amounts) each is contributing but the ranking above seems clear in terms of the SQ improvements.

My next posts in my series called…,
"What and how do we know what IS ‘Better’?
or
It’s all in our heads, or is it?"

was slated to dive into this subject, but it has become much bigger than I anticipated and so has taken more time to come to any conclusions, or even establish a grasp of the magnitude of this topic.

I can say that replacing SMPS's with LPS's is a decided step up and I will be re-confirming that with my next LPS project which I am currently assembling and hope to have functioning this weekend.

Ground, as I have noted previously, is a key aspect to achieving a degree of SQ that is truly stupendous, and we really haven't even scratched the surface yet.

And ground is a tricky subject to investigate because it IS the reference we use to measure ALL other parameters from.
And since it is THE reference what can we use to measure it, by itself, since there is no other reference available?

A conundrum for sure.

Lastly, one of the approaches I'm going to pursue is utilizing 'floating or isolated ground' as a means of limiting the noise that is added to the ground plane to see, if by not allowing it to propagate, does that have an effect upon the SQ in any way.

Yeah it gets complex and in a big hurry.

JJ

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #855 of 1,974
JJ, thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.

At least what you're saying is consistent from what I've read on the internet - basically it's clear as mud.

Mostly trial and error, since nobody really seems to know.

I think your right, it's very complicated. Probably not even worth discussing because of too many viewpoints, and unknowns (ie. no answers to why this or that is happening, other than try this or that).

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back