The DIY'rs Cookbook
Feb 20, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #826 of 1,974
Great work JohnJen

I have ordered my parts. Quick question, what height were the PCB standoffs you used? I will get some to suit.

My parts should land in 2 weeks, maybe less. I will post my pics as well.

Cool.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #827 of 1,974
Awesome stuff there JJ.

I'm still waiting for my LPS to arrive from China.

In case anyone wants to use the JST XH connector (instead of soldering 5v and Ground to the board directly), here are the Digikey parts (header and pins). I can confirm these are a direct fit.

I'll be using these 18awg wires, although the specs say 22 - 28 awg for the pins.

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #828 of 1,974
Another tweak, I bought a new IEC connector block inc a 20mm fuse holder.

johnjen
I bet your new PS will take a week to burn in approx. So more goodies your way.

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:21 AM Post #829 of 1,974
Beeeeeautiful! Sano for sure. Really like your "sleeper" approach---

"Since I wanted to use the on/off switch and the existing IEC power connector, this arrangement would make the AC power routing much simpler, and shorter..." and "...other than the new nuts on the bottom of the chassis and the bigger feet, there is no other clue any modifications have been made to this RN3."

Caring enough to retain stock functionality and appearance in a project that involves significant modifications goes way back for me. At age sixteen my first hot rod project, an Olds engine into my Ford Tudor, took almost 2 years. Other than money, a main reason it took so long was that my Dad "forced" us to do things right every time I wanted to mickeymouse something. It stuck.

Keep wrenching and soldering, JJ!

Thanks for the encouragement. 
atsmile.gif

But you know, as do I, that tweaking, once it's firmly established in our means and methods, is impossible to get rid of, nor can we ignore it's siren song.

But it does make for a satisfying end result…! 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #830 of 1,974
  Great work JohnJen

I have ordered my parts. Quick question, what height were the PCB standoffs you used? I will get some to suit.

My parts should land in 2 weeks, maybe less. I will post my pics as well.

Cool.

Say there!

I used 1/4" standoffs.
I also used some 'thick' washers to take up some of the length of the threads that stuck thru the bottom of the chassis so mostly only the nuts stuck down.

Have fun and make sure the ac power connections are covered in heat shrink.

JJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:32 AM Post #831 of 1,974
  Awesome stuff there JJ.

I'm still waiting for my LPS to arrive from China.

In case anyone wants to use the JST XH connector (instead of soldering 5v and Ground to the board directly), here are the Digikey parts (header and pins). I can confirm these are a direct fit.

I'll be using these 18awg wires, although the specs say 22 - 28 awg for the pins.

Say there.

Using those headers should make for a clean install.
I'd be interested to hear if using the larger gauge wire will pose any problems.

But I always want to up the gauge where and when I can, just because I can.

JJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #832 of 1,974

johnjen

Say there.
After things settle in I too might swap out the stock IEC connector, but be aware that the stock IEC connector may have a hi-freq filter built in to 'block' some of the noise from escaping, and/or entering.

Just a thought.

JJ

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:35 AM Post #833 of 1,974

johnjen

Say there.
After things settle in I too might swap out the stock IEC connector, but be aware that the stock IEC connector may have a hi-freq filter built in to 'block' some of the noise from escaping, and/or entering.

Just a thought.

JJ

Will try and see if that is the case when I do the mods. I will buy a fuse holder just in case. May be a part number on the IEC block Rednet has used?

I have just ordered a filtered IEC block which includes a fuse holder from hificollective. Standoffs, shrink wrap and XH connector is from digikey.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #834 of 1,974

Beeeeeautiful! Sano for sure. Really like your "sleeper" approach---

"Since I wanted to use the on/off switch and the existing IEC power connector, this arrangement would make the AC power routing much simpler, and shorter..." and "...other than the new nuts on the bottom of the chassis and the bigger feet, there is no other clue any modifications have been made to this RN3."

Caring enough to retain stock functionality and appearance in a project that involves significant modifications goes way back for me. At age sixteen my first hot rod project, an Olds engine into my Ford Tudor, took almost 2 years. Other than money, a main reason it took so long was that my Dad "forced" us to do things right every time I wanted to mickeymouse something. It stuck.

Keep wrenching and soldering, JJ!

Thanks for the encouragement. 
atsmile.gif

But you know, as do I, that tweaking, once it's firmly established in our means and methods, is impossible to get rid of, nor can we ignore it's siren song.

But it does make for a satisfying end result…! 
atsmile.gif

JJ

Ha Ha, you are right there. Here is my first foray building an Audio Note DAC 3.1 kit. Later I built the 4.1 kit and then modded almost all of it....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/649947/check-out-my-audio-note-dac-3-1-se-build

The later:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/r-2r-audio-note-digital-analogue-converter-4-1-diy-and-modifications-optimizations-or-enhancements-made-standard-audio-equipment-26693/

Then later (new I/Vs and digital board)

Excuse the loom, but it sounded remarkable after all the mods. The I/Vs were Audio Note UK 496s bought from an owner who didn't need then anymore.
And the digital board was an AN UK PCB (blank). I had to stuff it.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #835 of 1,974

Will try and see if that is the case when I do the mods. I will buy a fuse holder just in case. May be a part number on the IEC block Rednet has used?

I have just ordered a filtered IEC block which includes a fuse holder from hificollective. Standoffs, shrink wrap and XH connector is from digikey.

Word of caution about the XH connectors.

You will need some JST crimpers if using XH connectors. I would also suggest ordering a minimum 10 headers, and 50 pins (they are just too cheap not to).

Another reason for ordering spares. If you need to redo any part of the connector, you'll have to throw away what you've done and start over. You'll only be able to save the wires by pulling them out the of connector. The pins will stay in the connector and it will be useless at that point.

I went with the Engineer PA-21 crimper. I'm sure any of the JST crimpers will work fine. There are some reviews of JST crimpers on the internets.

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #836 of 1,974
  Say there.

Using those headers should make for a clean install.
I'd be interested to hear if using the larger gauge wire will pose any problems.

But I always want to up the gauge where and when I can, just because I can.

JJ

I asked the guy helping me the same question.  He said 18awg wouldn't be an issue.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #837 of 1,974

Word of caution about the XH connectors.

You will need some JST crimpers if using XH connectors. I would also suggest ordering a minimum 10 headers, and 50 pins (they are just too cheap not to).

Another reason for ordering spares. If you need to redo any part of the connector, you'll have to throw away what you've done and start over. You'll only be able to save the wires by pulling them out the of connector. The pins will stay in the connector and it will be useless at that point.

I went with the Engineer PA-21 crimper. I'm sure any of the JST crimpers will work fine. There are some reviews of JST crimpers on the internets.

good advice. Is it possible to use small pliers instead of buying an expensive crimper? Maybe I could add a blob of solder to the upper area on the header?

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #838 of 1,974

good advice. Is it possible to use small pliers instead of buying an expensive crimper? Maybe I could add a blob of solder to the upper area on the header?

Not really, they are designed to curl at the tips (you can see this in the photo of the black wire I posted earlier, and the one below).

If you add solder, I doubt you'll get the pins seated correctly - the fit is already tight (size of wire isn't the issue - just the pins are tight, and they kind of snap into the connector).

They need to be crimped in 2 places, using 2 different sizes on the crimper (there are how-to videos on the internets showing this).

Feb 21, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #839 of 1,974
Thanks. I realised after posting I would need the crimping pliers, so ordered some budget ones on Amazon.es

Think I am all set now, IEC including fuse and RF filter, transformer, PCB for transformer, LPS PCB (built)  8 x standoffs 15mm M3, M3 screws, crimping plug and ends.

Will have all the goodies in 2 weeks.

Good luck with your build Golfnutz. Seems like a nice DIY mod and the reports on SQ from John promising. I will feed the Rednet from my PS Audio P10, so clean power from the mains.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #840 of 1,974
This is a great thread! I am looking into modifying my Rednet 16 R. As I have 2 powersupplys in mine I can easy compare the original ps with the LPS. I am going to use my UpTone JS-2 to try this out. I want to use a panel mount 2,1 mm connector.

I am ready to order from Digi-Key but I am not sure which connector to buy? Is it the bottom one, with 3 contacts? 

http://www.digikey.no/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&itemSeq=219881156&uq=636233222100704793

Best Tommy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back