The discovery thread!
Mar 8, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #7,907 of 103,993
Quote:
Just a heads up guys on a really great deal for some new tech in Dac amps. While I am very happy with my Meridian Explorer..I was browsing though headfi last night and landed on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651660/audinst-hud-mx2-dac-amp#post_9173587  This Dac/amp which is the topic of this thread is on sale from $250 to $198..It is a promotional deal in ebay.  The reason why this is such a good deal is because of the pedigree of this unit. This kit involves improvements to one of the best bang for dollar dac amps which was the original MX1 version that has been highly reviewed.. From all indications this new MX2 version seems to be very nice upgrade on the older version but at this sale price..

This unit should give the O2/Odac and the Schiit stack combo some stiff competition for dac/amp supremacy at this price range.. Any of you guys looking for a nice upgrade from your basic set up.. This deal is only going on till the 10th it seems..

oh, man. must... resist... curiosity...!

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #7,908 of 103,993
Quote:
You're one strange creature indeed, ghost. So any updates on those godly CKN 70s of yours. I need some more hype, i mean impressions since jigga has been killing the buzz a bit with his spazzing for his lovely XBA-40s over the CKN 70s.
biggrin.gif

300+ hrs and they're still settling, changes mainly in the layering and stage, the sound positional behaviour of this iem is amazing !   ...highs are no longer offensive.

I'm getting more and more into them and considering getting a second pair (Blues).

We all hear differently, which is why I'm respecting Jigga's comments on them, only wished he had given them 1/2 a chance with at least 100hrs of burn as Dsnut posted earlier.
You had the S500 and you know what they're like out of box, right ? 

Mar 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #7,909 of 103,993
Quote:

300+ hrs and they're still settling, changes mainly in the layering and stage, the sound positional behaviour of this iem is amazing !   ...highs are no longer offensive.

I'm getting more and more into them and considering getting a second pair (Blues).

We all hear differently, which is why I'm respecting Jigga's comments on them, only wished he had given them 1/2 a chance with at least 100hrs of burn as Dsnut posted earlier.
You had the S500 and you know what they're like out of box, right ? 

Yeppp, sure did cuz they sounded like slow muddy unrefined piece of poo. LoL 1st time experiencing the effects of burn-in. It's like a night and day change. But my 1st set of MH1Cs were even more dumb. haha

So yeah with anything that has a CNT label on it, needs at least a week on full blast to get them broken in/ mellow out esp. if the highs are really harsh. People from the JVC camp will know.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #7,910 of 103,993
Its not that I didn't give them chance. The difference between the two is so drastic that no amount of burn in can close the gap. 70s are exceptional for the price while the 40s are another league.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #7,911 of 103,993
Quote:
Its not that I didn't give them chance. The difference between the two is so drastic that no amount of burn in can close the gap. 70s are exceptional for the price while the 40s are another league.

I'm sure the gap wouldn't close entirely, but the amount most CNT drivers change during burn in is pretty unbelievable. It sounds like the ba40s just hit the sweet spot in your sound preferences.

Mar 8, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #7,913 of 103,993
Quote:
I'll try to remember to test my xba-40's on the Meridian tomorrow. I have it at work, got it today, and ran my Beyer T5p's all day without any problems (I know, expensive headphone outta sound great, right, but I bought it used for a steal). Meridian sounded fantastic, but didn't have time to try out other headphones or earphones with it.

As I posted, I have tested.
Results: XBA-40 running out of Meridian - sound good but not exceptional. I pulled out my Sony MDRXB90-EX's to compare, and the two were not sounding that much different, and actually the 90-ex's were handling the low end better!

Added the Objective2 as the amp, hooked it  up to the amp out on the Meridian, and low and behold, the magic returns to the XBA-40's. Rich wide sound stage, detail, depth, with the full spectrum of sound on display, from the lowest of the low to the highs (in the comfort zone). Bass impact is back.

My conclusion, the Meridian's amp out is the problem. It's serviceable but not stellar with the xba-40's. I would not get the Meridian to just handle the xba-40's, I would throw in another amp in the mix if doing that setup. If the Meridian is your only conductor from your source, using its built in amp than I can certainly recommend the Sony MDRXB90-EX as an excellent earphone, and maybe save some  money on the more expensive XBA-40's. But for me, adding the objective, the xba-40's just sing with the Meridian.

With the xba-40's the Meridian is not bad, just not stellar as one would expect from the xba-40's.

I recently ordered the Audinst MX2, so more fun comparisons to come!

Mar 8, 2013 at 7:19 PM Post #7,918 of 103,993
Those CKN70s look so sexy in blue.

When I got some cash soon I'll def be getting some.

I've got a thing for awesome micro-drivers ever since my purchase of the Yamaha EPH100.

BAs just don't sound as good to me anymore. :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #7,919 of 103,993
Finally got my Somic upgrades where I want them. HM5 pads, Cardas 4 X 24 wires, micro paracord sleeving, Imperial Red, and custom Macassar Ebony 1/4" plug and Y split! Imperial Red is matched to the red pleather, I had velour pads that fit perfectly, and also matched the Imperial Red Paracord, but sound was not balanced with them without EQ or further mods. With the Cardas wire, the sound had better bass and highs, matched very well with the Somic drivers. Also, changed from single entry to double entry, that made a huge difference. The original cable was very fine, the Cardas wire is 24 gauge! No more mods needed here, the Somic's sound fantastic!

Pictures don't really depict the Imperial Red, the red is actually darker red than shown, picture is too orange!

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #7,920 of 103,993
Quote:
Those CKN70s look so sexy in blue.

When I got some cash soon I'll def be getting some.

I've got a thing for awesome micro-drivers ever since my purchase of the Yamaha EPH100.

BAs just don't sound as good to me anymore.
frown.gif

I am having similar thoughts..................................... except for dynamic iems, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back