The discovery thread!
Mar 7, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #7,891 of 100,675
Yes I left that Sony store thinking the XB90 makes more sense as a product than both the XBA-30 and -40.

I realize that strictly quality-wise the XBAs probably win, but they're onto 2nd-generation now and they still sound weird to my ears, as though they're strangely held back or incomplete.

yea the xb90 are great, though their presentation is off i think they tuned them to never sound harsh at any volume.

Quote:
Interesting. A portable amp shouldn't make the mids less clear. I bet that demo unit was busted somehow. Every time someone says they don't like the XBA-30, it turns out the unit they tried out wasn't working properly.

i cant be sure but i think the second pair of xba3 sounds much more in control of the highs than the first pair i had.

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #7,892 of 100,675
Quote:
Try using some Sony hybrid tips.. Mines has around 200 now and the highs do tame..I noticed the CKN50 burns in a lot quicker than these CKN70s. Carbon nanotubes.

Just a heads up guys on a really great deal for some new tech in Dac amps. While I am very happy with my Meridian Explorer..I was browsing though headfi last night and landed on this thread.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651660/audinst-hud-mx2-dac-amp#post_9173587  This Dac/amp which is the topic of this thread is on sale from $250 to $198..It is a promotional deal in ebay.  The reason why this is such a good deal is because of the pedigree of this unit. This kit involves improvements to one of the best bang for dollar dac amps which was the original MX1 version that has been highly reviewed.. From all indications this new MX2 version seems to be very nice upgrade on the older version but at this sale price..

This unit should give the O2/Odac and the Schiit stack combo some stiff competition for dac/amp supremacy at this price range.. Any of you guys looking for a nice upgrade from your basic set up.. This deal is only going on till the 10th it seems..

I am NOT getting it. NOT! But out of curiosity, in your opinion, how much better would it sound than my ELE DAC + Fiio E12 combo?

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #7,893 of 100,675
Well the dac end is of a higher grade for certain and they are using some dual op amping on the amp portion.. Which your E12 also is using.  It is all about implementation more than anything. There are some high expectations when they released this new MX2 version as their MX1 is still regarded as a classic dac amp by many. Plus I gotta support my fellow Koreans here. Lol.

It will be a different flavor. The reason why I like it is because of the a low impedance output. Meaning you can use your sensitive iems as much as your hard to drive cans..It has optical out too and can be hooked up to a ipad or android devices. .Very versatile and is a well thought out all in one unit.

On a side note there is some dissension in the Meridian thread because of a recent bomb shell of news..Tyll did some measurements and it turns out the Meridian Explorer has an unusually high impedance output.. 47ohms or something like that. This is not good news for guys like me that own many sensitive and easy to drive iems and cans. More or less it is made for higher Ohm cans.. Which leaves me kinda scratching my noggin.. I have my Meridian hooked up to my well burned in CKN70 and I have to be honest here. I have never heard my music sound so damn good. I am reading one thing but hearing some serious synergy and absolutely wonderful music from my set up just using my Meridian Explorer.

So I will follow my ears more than being all uptight about it and return it or anything like that. I simply enjoy it too much.

Why did I get the new Audinst MX2? Well it will be a different flavor than my other dac amps and you guys should know by now. I am all about variety. Plus it is too good of a deal. Lol. I just checked. These MX2s are selling like madd. It was at 162 sold last night now it is at 185..People know when to bite when they offer a $50 discount with free shipping. You take up on that offer.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7,894 of 100,675
Quote:
Well the dac end is of a higher grade for certain and they are using some dual op amping on the amp portion.. Which your E12 also is using.  It is all about implementation more than anything. There are some high expectations when they released this new MX2 version as their MX1 is still regarded as a classic dac amp by many. Plus I gotta support my fellow Koreans here. Lol.

It will be a different flavor. The reason why I like it is because of the a low impedance output. Meaning you can use your sensitive iems as much as your hard to drive cans..It has optical out too and can be hooked up to a ipad or android devices. .Very versatile and is a well thought out all in one unit.

On a side note there is some dissension in the Meridian thread because of a recent bomb shell of news..Tyll did some measurements and it turns out the Meridian Explorer has an unusually high impedance output.. 47ohms or something like that. This is not good news for guys like me that own many sensitive and easy to drive iems and cans. More or less it is made for higher Ohm cans.. Which leaves me kinda scratching my noggin.. I have my Meridian hooked up to my well burned in CKN70 and I have to be honest here. I have never heard my music sound so damn good. I am reading one thing but hearing some serious synergy and absolutely wonderful music from my set up just using my Meridian Explorer.

So I will follow my ears more than being all uptight about it and return it or anything like that. I simply enjoy it too much.

Why did I get the new Audinst MX2? Well it will be a different flavor than my other dac amps and you guys should know by now. I am all about variety. Plus it is too good of a deal. Lol. I just checked. These MX2s are selling like madd. It was at 162 sold last night now it is at 185..People know when to bite when they offer a $50 discount with free shipping. You take up on that offer.

mad.gif

Just when I was set on getting it for my XBA_40's. Back to the drawing board-

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #7,895 of 100,675
Quote:

Interesting. A portable amp shouldn't make the mids less clear. I bet that demo unit was busted somehow. Every time someone says they don't like the XBA-30, it turns out the unit they tried out wasn't working properly.

A majority of demo units have issues, be it headphones or smartphones/tablets. In fact right after I came away so impressed by the XB90EX, I heard a very different, very dull-sounding XB90EX at another Sony store (these are all run by Sony themselves). I'm aware of this risk.

However, it's not like I just went to my neighborhood store and auditioned once, thank you very much. 
etysmile.gif
 I've sampled the entire XBA series at multiple Sony stores in several countries, and it's a long, carefully judged, combined impression over 1.5? 2? years ever since the first XBA-1/2/3/4 became available. I really wanted to like them, because I've liked most BA IEMs I came across: the UE700, the SHE9850, the d-Jays, the ADDIEM...and the ER4 I had for 8 or 9 years. It took me a while to eliminate "first impressions", emotional rebound and new gadget excitement, and I second-guessed my ears for that long because, well, I love buying these things. The more the merrier, don't you think?

beerchug.gif

My intent was never to persuade anyone else though, I'm way past that. In other news, I still plan on getting the CKN50 or 70 next week, but with mulitple things fighting for the same $80 in my head, we'll see how that plays out.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #7,896 of 100,675
Well that is what is kinda whack about the whole thing. Seriously I wouldn't let that high impedance out deter you from getting it. While many guys are now thinking of returning their Meridian Explorer.. It has the highest end sound out of any other dac amp I own easily.. And it jives with every can and earphone I have tried on it so far so I ain't too worried about it. No way will I return my Meridian Explorer.

Now this Audinst MX2.. Now that kinda throws a curve ball in the whole equation. $100 less. Much more robust and complete amp portion with 2 Ohm impedance out.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #7,897 of 100,675
Quote:
Well that is what is kinda whack about the whole thing. Seriously I wouldn't let that high impedance out deter you from getting it. While many guys are now thinking of returning their Meridian Explorer.. It has the highest end sound out of any other dac amp I own easily.. And it jives with every can and earphone I have tried on it so far so I ain't too worried about it. No way will I return my Meridian Explorer.

Now this Audinst MX2.. Now that kinda throws a curve ball in the whole equation. $100 less. Much more robust and complete amp portion with 2 Ohm impedance out.

It's gonna be the replay of ELE dac and that fancy pricy tube amp scenario ALLL over again.
wink_face.gif
jk

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #7,902 of 100,675
Quote:

mad.gif

Just when I was set on getting it for my XBA_40's. Back to the drawing board-

I'll try to remember to test my xba-40's on the Meridian tomorrow. I have it at work, got it today, and ran my Beyer T5p's all day without any problems (I know, expensive headphone outta sound great, right, but I bought it used for a steal). Meridian sounded fantastic, but didn't have time to try out other headphones or earphones with it.

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #7,903 of 100,675
Quote:
I'll try to remember to test my xba-40's on the Meridian tomorrow. I have it at work, got it today, and ran my Beyer T5p's all day without any problems (I know, expensive headphone outta sound great, right, but I bought it used for a steal). Meridian sounded fantastic, but didn't have time to try out other headphones or earphones with it.

That'd be awesome man!

Mar 7, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #7,904 of 100,675
Ya guys are freaking out over the high impedance thing. I couldn't care less. I have my CKS1000 in my ears as I type. .Both my CKN70 and CKS1000 are easy to drive earphones and both sound the best I have heard them..Guys will fall off the wagon as quickly as the got on board just because some guys says it will suck for easy to drive earphones and headphones..So far it doesn't suck for anything. In fact this dac makes everything sound almost too good..Flysweep was mentioning how it sounds great with his XBA-30 so I would suspect it should be fine for the XBA-40 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back